Cult of the peanut , members

Hello all,
Is there a place to purchase a Case Peanut that will go through and make sure they're sending you a good copy? I've purchased from Baryonyx before and was pleased as they do a quality control check before shipping the knife. I had a yellow CV for a little and passed it along but have the itch to give it another go. Thanks

Hello all,
Is there a place to purchase a Case Peanut that will go through and make sure they're sending you a good copy?

Usual disclaimer: if it is not a BF member dealer, convey the information outside the discussion forums.

Hello all,
Is there a place to purchase a Case Peanut that will go through and make sure they're sending you a good copy? I've purchased from Baryonyx before and was pleased as they do a quality control check before shipping the knife. I had a yellow CV for a little and passed it along but have the itch to give it another go. Thanks

Baryonyx is still a member dealer, I think, and a good place to buy knives, but he does not show any Case patterns except for Sodbusters.

In other peanut matters, I had been despairing that my yellow CV did not appear to be taking a patina. Tonight, however, I noticed that both blades were showing a faint patina with blue and yellow highlights. No point in showing a crappy cell phone photo, as it just shows up like finger smudges.

Baryonyx is still a member dealer, I think, and a good place to buy knives, but he does not show any Case patterns except for Sodbusters.

In other peanut matters, I had been despairing that my yellow CV did not appear to be taking a patina. Tonight, however, I noticed that both blades were showing a faint patina with blue and yellow highlights. No point in showing a crappy cell phone photo, as it just shows up like finger smudges.

I find CV much slower than 1095 with respect to patina, but it comes eventually.

I find bananas to be quick blade-stainers, but plantains are even faster.

Now I'm sorry I passed on that yellow delrin Kutmaster peanut. It was a snap decision affected by the presence of a couple other knives.

I ended up getting this one used off of The Bay for around $14. Blades were extremely rusted, action was awful, and the tip of the main blade was bent. I got a little aggressive trying to bend the tip back and of course broke it off so out came the dremel to regrind the blade. Tip was still proud so took a bit off the kick which helped a ton. Then multiple rounds of cleaning with WD40 got the walk and talk a little better, but still not great. Borrowed some "heavier" rust dissolving goop and now it's smooth as butter. The edge still needs some work but I'm very happy especially with how rough it was when it first arrived.
image by Six Pound Cat, on Flickr

Last edited:
It's a looker for sure....
image by Six Pound Cat, on FlickrQUOTE="arizonaranchman, post: 17172724, member: 309583"]Gosh I'm humbled that you were so inspired. The yellow Delrin is a favorite of mine. Very retro and I love the look.

[/QUOTE]

Hello to all Cult Members,
This is my first post to the Cult and to BF. I have carried, used, and loved gear since I was a kid when I received my first Swiss Army knife. Over the past 10 years I have went through a fortune of edc! :p Many multitools, pocket tools, keychain tools, flashlights, folders, slippies, etc, etc.. I went through a cleansing process over time continuing to minimize not only my carry but the amount of each functional piece of gear I used on a daily basis. In the end I believed that I would be a Swiss Army guy for life and had a good amount of SAKs. I had gone the route of Case knives before and drooled over Peanuts and other designs many times, looking at them online and in person at Bass Pro and Cabelas. Even bought a Canoe off eBay once, which I sold years ago.
Finally I realized that I didn't "need" the extra tools on the SAK and that a Peanut coupled with a keychain pry bar tool on my keys would handily tackle just about 98% of my needs on a daily basis.
I am willfully and humbly joining (if you'll have me) the Cult. I picked up my first Peanut that arrived today and once this thing was in hand, it was love at first sight. Gritty at first, I cleaned and oiled the joints and now it walks and moves smoooth. There is just something about the length and shape, the blade to body ratio, the way it fits in the hand that is SO natural and just feels right.
While my first was in the mail, a fatty stag nut, I couldn't help but order a Yellow and Chestnut both in CV that are in the mail right now.. :D
Looking forward to being a life long nutcase. :)

Sean

Here are some pics of my very first Peanut..
2N5bSmQ.jpg

eAncK6k.jpg

cnlbsSz.jpg

Hello to all Cult Members,
This is my first post to the Cult and to BF. I have carried, used, and loved gear since I was a kid when I received my first Swiss Army knife. Over the past 10 years I have went through a fortune of edc! :p Many multitools, pocket tools, keychain tools, flashlights, folders, slippies, etc, etc.. I went through a cleansing process over time continuing to minimize not only my carry but the amount of each functional piece of gear I used on a daily basis. In the end I believed that I would be a Swiss Army guy for life and had a good amount of SAKs. I had gone the route of Case knives before and drooled over Peanuts and other designs many times, looking at them online and in person at Bass Pro and Cabelas. Even bought a Canoe off eBay once, which I sold years ago.
Finally I realized that I didn't "need" the extra tools on the SAK and that a Peanut coupled with a keychain pry bar tool on my keys would handily tackle just about 98% of my needs on a daily basis.
I am willfully and humbly joining (if you'll have me) the Cult. I picked up my first Peanut that arrived today and once this thing was in hand, it was love at first sight. Gritty at first, I cleaned and oiled the joints and now it walks and moves smoooth. There is just something about the length and shape, the blade to body ratio, the way it fits in the hand that is SO natural and just feels right.
While my first was in the mail, a fatty stag nut, I couldn't help but order a Yellow and Chestnut both in CV that are in the mail right now.. :D
Looking forward to being a life long nutcase. :)

Sean

Here are some pics of my very first Peanut..
2N5bSmQ.jpg

eAncK6k.jpg

cnlbsSz.jpg

That's a beauty. Welcome.

Welcome to the cult, seen003.

Your 'nut is a beauty, and you are making a very good entrance ito the cult with such a looker!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Rishma & Jackknife,
Thanks fellas!
It's great to be here.
Got my first bite already. That'll teach me to keep that middle finger out of the way of the lil' pen blade. It rode with me in the pocket for the first time today and I got that little tingly feeling inside knowing it was riding shotgun. :)

Sean, you're very right about the tools on the SAK. I carried a SAK of some sort for most of my life, but I found when I had a few items in my wallet, they eliminated a whole layer of the common tools of a SAK. My Sear's keychain 4-way screw driver takes care of most of the flat and Phillips screws I run into. I filed the smallest bit on the thing so it fits into the small phillips screws. I also fond the corner of the P-38 takes care of Phillips screws. For can opening, the P-38 works of course, but I also use it for popping the top off bottles, and the 4-way works at that as well. There's so many ways of opening a bottle that I don't bother carrying a dedicated bottle opener any more.

I found the peanut to cut most anything I had to cut for the years I carried one. If I were not a arthritic old fart with fumble fingers, I'd still be carrying one. These are such great little knives for every day carry!

If you look carefully in the Cult Book of Rules, page 142, paragraph 3, you will find that the 4-way screw driver and P-38 are required carry items for The Cult personel.

Last edited:
To get into Target Field last night to see the Twins game, I had to go through a metal detector. My phone and keys went in a plastic tray. The guard very solicitously asked if I could get through the detector without my cane; then he tried to unscrew the brass knob just to be on the safe side. My yellow CV peanut rested forgotten at the bottom of my pocket. It went through without setting off the alarm.

One more reason to carry a peanut.

That is a really sharp piece of useful pocket jewelry. For sure
one of the nicer ones

Thanks RickT57!
Yes. I am grateful to have acquired a nice sample. Especially knowing that there is a lot of hit and miss in finding some decent stag Peanuts.

Sean, you're very right about the tools on the SAK. I carried a SAK of some sort for most of my life, but I found when I had a few items in my wallet, they eliminated a whole layer of the common tools of a SAK. My Sear's keychain 4-way screw driver takes care of most of the flat and Phillips screws I run into. I filed the smallest bit on the thing so it fits into the small phillips screws. I also fond the corner of the P-38 takes care of Phillips screws. For can opening, the P-38 works of course, but I also use it for popping the top off bottles, and the 4-way works at that as well. There's so many ways of opening a bottle that I don't bother carrying a dedicated bottle opener any more.

I found the peanut to cut most anything I had to cut for the years I carried one. If I were not a arthritic old fart with fumble fingers, I'd still be carrying one. These are such great little knives for every day carry!

If you look carefully in the Cult Book of Rules, page 142, paragraph 3, you will find that the 4-way screw driver and P-38 are required carry items for The Cult personel.

Jackknife,
Ahh yes.. The 4way and P-38. Great carry items. I haven't read down to that far down that chapter just yet.. ;)
But, I even slimmed down to my two favorite SAKs that were the Compact (2 layer 91mm) and the Classic (2 layer 51mm), but I just realized that I didn't "need" the extra tools. I mean really, all you "need" is food, water, and shelter.. ;D
Besides, I don't like my pockets to feel like Rambo's storage shed.

Back