Cult of the peanut , members

Hi, my name is Lee, I'm feeling a strong urge to purchase a Peanut. It probably has to do with the rave reviews and great stories here. I don't believe I'll find many people here who will try to talk me out of this crazy urge either. I wear gym shorts around the house a lot, the other day my SAK slid out of my shorts pocket while I was sitting on a stool, and the impact with the floor left a scratch on the alox. Tsk, tsk. Maybe something as small as a Peanut would feel less of a desire to jump out of my pocket? Also, I've tried the three knife thing, but I really only feel comfortable carrying two knives on a daily basis. Maybe a Peanut will work as my elusive third knife? I can hear it now, all you Cultists saying I don't need anything else besides a Peanut, but I have to start somewhere.

So it's down to which 'Nut to crack first. Today I found a Bear & Sons "bone stag" 2-blade Peanut for a great price, less than a yella Case. Can anyone speak to the quality of the B&S? The Case yella CV seems like the most classic example, but the chestnut CV posted above looks amazing and it's only a few dollars more. Any recommendations from the porch?

Lee
I have 2 Bear knives I bought back around 2000.
One is a liner lock with a trapper type 3 inch blade, 3.5" closed, wood handles. Sometimes you have to give the blade a little extra nudge to get the liner lock to snap into place and it has a teeny bit of side play. Its ok. Not a bad knife, especially for what I paid for it. I never really bonded with it, but that just happens sometimes. Not really the knife's fault.
The other one is a medium stockman, about 3.25" closed, wood handles. Its a good knife. It was my edc for 9 or ten years. It saw a lot of use and held up fine. I still carry it regularly. Not a thing wrong with it at all. A good solid pocket knife.
Based on this limited sample I had good opinion of Bear. Reading owner reviews online though, it appears that Bear's quality is really hit of miss. Also, companies like Buck, Benchmade, Case, etc. seem to have uniformly positive reviews of their customer service so if you get a lemon, they'll take care of you. Reviews of Bear's customer service seem to be mostly bad.
I'd buy another Bear, but probably only if I was buying in person and could examine the knife. Or maybe if it was a really good buy and vendor had a liberal satisfaction guarantee.

Mine is good also. In fact all my case knives have been fine. I guess I have been lucky.
I think the snap thing is model dependent and I generally have leaned toward a certain size of slippie and handle them in person. So, I may be seeing a limited picture of their knives. The walk & talk could also be mentioned for recent GEC made knives.

Can any of you Peanut experts tell me why this Case MOP does not have any pins or pin construction? Never seen this before

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Are we talking about pivot pins or handle pins? I would bet any number of lives other than mine, and those of my loved ones, that Case never made a knife with a swindon key.

Quick update: my Peanut is "Out for Delivery" so it should arrive this afternoon. I've been reading Carl's stories and really enjoying them, but I've had to search for each individual title because all but one of the links are broken in the list of his stories. I'd be glad to post updated links, unless someone else has done that elsewhere?

Lee

Are we talking about pivot pins or handle pins? I would bet any number of lives other than mine, and those of my loved ones, that Case never made a knife with a swindon key.

This!

The pivot pins are probably so well polished they are not visible yet. The pearl scales are glued, maybe to prevent stress from pins and cracks around them? I'm guessing here and I highly doubt Case ever did the dreaded Swine key.

Quick update: my Peanut is "Out for Delivery" so it should arrive this afternoon. I've been reading Carl's stories and really enjoying them, but I've had to search for each individual title because all but one of the links are broken in the list of his stories. I'd be glad to post updated links, unless someone else has done that elsewhere?

Lee

Sent you a message on your profile page. Update us with your peanut :D

This!

The pivot pins are probably so well polished they are not visible yet. The pearl scales are glued, maybe to prevent stress from pins and cracks around them? I'm guessing here and I highly doubt Case ever did the dreaded Swine key.

I found another one pictured in this thread by Ray5118 :
IMG_0472_zpsshw87c3m.jpg

Seems these are 1980-82 MOP production. I still wonder what construction they used? Maybe because the pinned MOP tend to crack?

Last edited:
Here it was, described as a Swinden key by the good old 300Bucks.

Pivot Pin Visible Through Bolsters?

I still don't know of any Case made like that. Maybe there are others who know more.
That is a very good thread. But I still wonder how Case made these and pulled this off.

Is this unusual for a peanut? Are there any other peanut flavors that do not show pin construction? Or is this MOP the only run?

Ha, ha! This is the first Peanut I've handled; I knew the dimensions and that it was small, but until you get it into your hand you don't really know how small a Peanut is. It's almost comically small. So I'm taking the Peanut Challenge, where I'll carry the new Peanut for 30 days everywhere with me, and try to use it before another knife. This is going to be fun. I tried to post some pics...but you have link them from a picture hosting site or something. I found some instruction threads, but TLDR for now. I'll eventually have to figure that out.

Lee

Ha, ha! This is the first Peanut I've handled; I knew the dimensions and that it was small, but until you get it into your hand you don't really know how small a Peanut is. It's almost comically small. So I'm taking the Peanut Challenge, where I'll carry the new Peanut for 30 days everywhere with me, and try to use it before another knife. This is going to be fun. I tried to post some pics...but you have link them from a picture hosting site or something. I found some instruction threads, but TLDR for now. I'll eventually have to figure that out.

Lee
Well we have to see it now.

Once you figure out how the pic hosting works you will always be able to post. Just figuring it out the first time is all.

Lee
POSTING PHOTOS IN FORUM

Try this- it works with my Iphone...

Take picture, tap on it to open it. Press edit, and make a few changes. It doesn’t matter if you end up with it as original, but going through the editing process seems to make it acceptable to the forum software.

Press done to save.

Go to BF and start your post. Press “Upload a file”, select photos, press your pic, then press Done. The pic should start loading. Then, just press “Full image”.

I copied this earlier from someone's post. It works.

Lee
For your 30 day challenge just carry the peanut and no other knife. The first week might seem like a challenge but after that you will see that the peanut is very capable. I have carried mine every day for almost 2 years now. It does all and I mean all of my cutting in a normal day. There are those rare occasions that I have needed something bigger and grabbed a fixed blade. But for 99% of my cutting the peanut does great. Congrats on your first peanut. I hope you enjoy using it.

Last edited:
POSTING PHOTOS IN FORUM
Try this- it works with my Iphone...

Take picture, tap on it to open it. Press edit, and make a few changes. It doesn’t matter if you end up with it as original, but going through the editing process seems to make it acceptable to the forum software.

Press done to save.

Go to BF and start your post. Press “Upload a file”, select photos, press your pic, then press Done. The pic should start loading. Then, just press “Full image”.

I copied this earlier from someone's post. It works.

Thanks for the info, but I don't see an "Upload a file" button. I'm using Chrome on a laptop, so I wonder if you're seeing another option with your Iphone. My only option for inserting an image is to provide a URL. I'll look into the image hosting thing.

I stuck both Peanut blades into a lime for several hours to force a patina and touched up the edges on the bottom of two coffee cups. One cup seemed coarser than the other. Gave them a light strop on a piece of scrap leather and both blades feel razor sharp now. The quality of is this little Case is great, and the half stops were a nice surprise.

TrapperMike, I know I could probably get by just fine with only the 'Nut, but picking out my two knives of the day is fun. There's no rule that I have to actually use both of them, but I get to pick and carry them. That might seem absurd, but here we are on a forum discussing knives, and this afternoon I took a bunch of pictures of a teeny tiny yella pocket knife. There's a lot of hand waving going on here. And it gets funnier... the main clip on the 'Nut is actually shorter than the secondary pen blade on my GEC 78 AmJack. Makes the 78 look even more like a tank than it did before. But I'm sticking to the challenge as written.

Lee

Lee,

flatblackcapo was kind enough to teach me how to post pics. The following is from him, and it works too--I have used both methods.

"I don't use my phone for much more than a phone and taking pics so posting from a pc is easier for me. This is my method, using the Firefox browser.
Find the pic wanted on Flickr in the photostream, click on that
it takes you to the page with just that pic. In the lower right hand corner there is a arrow with a line under it, click that and choose " View all sizes"
Choose the size you want to post and right click on the pic, select "view image info"
A window will pop up and the text needed should already be highlighted.
right click that highlighted line and copy.
Go back to the forum and click on the little mountain in the square next to the smiley face.
Paste the text into the pop up window and click insert.
You should see your pic in your post now. If you don't see it, something went wrong.
I hope I explained it so it is understandable. Writing is not my forte."

--Vince

lee4, I think the upload a file option is only available to paid members. I use Flickr as Prester John described above, but Tinypic is another option that can be used without having to sign up for an account. Use the Choose File button to select a photo on your computer, add tags or use resize options if you want, then click the green Upload Now button. In the next window copy the url and tags under IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards and paste that into your reply here.

42699027354_3b52ab2c7a_c.jpg

Boom. Done. :)

1zqdfy8.jpg

:)

Back