Cult of the peanut , members

Yes, I had posted pics of my Damascus peanut many times. It had a amber bone handle and raindrop pattern Damascus by Devon Thomas.
Was it this one? I bought a Damascus peanut from a forum member a couple weeks ago. Has a distinctive spot on the blade.

4iOssip.jpg

Was it this one? I bought a Damascus peanut from a forum member a couple weeks ago. Has a distinctive spot on the blade.

4iOssip.jpg
Holy smokes. I tried to buy one like this from the bay a few weeks ago and failed. That is amazing.

Yes, I had posted pics of my Damascus peanut many times. It had a amber bone handle and raindrop pattern Damascus by Devon Thomas.
Thanks, Carl. I was away from the forum for some time, and must have missed it. I'll have to look for the star of so many fine stories.

Ken

Touching up my SS Peanut before the weekend. I use the SS for all the dirty eeekend box cutting and around-the-house jobs. I’ve been using this Lansky mini crock stick key chain for the really quick touch ups.

It’s almost like a tiny (cheap!) sharpmaker. A couple swipes and you have a nice fresh edge. Unlike other pull-through sharpeners, this one just has some fine ceramic sticks. No aggressive SiC. I love sharpening with stones, but this is faster!
9SEphBt.jpg

Last edited:
Touching up my SS Peanut before the weekend. I use the SS for all the dirty eeekend box cutting and around-the-house jobs. I’ve been using this Lansky mini crock stick key chain for the really quick touch ups.

It’s almost like a tiny (cheap!) sharpmaker. A couple swipes and you have a nice fresh edge. Unlike other pull-through sharpeners, this one just has some fine ceramic sticks. No aggressive SiC. I love sharpening with stones, but this is faster!
9SEphBt.jpg

Yeah, this Lansky will give you an edge of 45º, that's why is faster, the sharpmaker has the 40º and the 30º presets for you.
The 45º angle is quite good here, practically because of the thin blades from the peanut. Others prefer an even thinner apex, which is not as strong as the 45º, per se. The peanut easily takes an angle of 30º or 40º, and holds it too. I prefer something like 40º or a bit under, but hey, 45º is quite similar, for that thin hollow blade that is.
But as you can go lower than 30º on the sharpmaker, freehand, using one stone alone, I see the crocks in your Lansky are long enough to set any bevel you want, in shorter strokes.
I usually use the 40º on the sharpmaker, with some strokes on the 30º for maintaining the apex thin.
Freehand, practically is double the thickness of the blade lifted from the stone for 40º, and one time and a bit for 30º.
Easy to check up with a marker and checking for a burr.
Plus, the peanut, being so thin, it will outperform others easily. The Mighty Legume, as we call it.

Yeah, this Lansky will give you an edge of 45º, that's why is faster, the sharpmaker has the 40º and the 30º presets for you.
The 45º angle is quite good here, practically because of the thin blades from the peanut. Others prefer an even thinner apex, which is not as strong as the 45º, per se. The peanut easily takes an angle of 30º or 40º, and holds it too. I prefer something like 40º or a bit under, but hey, 45º is quite similar, for that thin hollow blade that is.
But as you can go lower than 30º on the sharpmaker, freehand, using one stone alone, I see the crocks in your Lansky are long enough to set any bevel you want, in shorter strokes.
I usually use the 40º on the sharpmaker, with some strokes on the 30º for maintaining the apex thin.
Freehand, practically is double the thickness of the blade lifted from the stone for 40º, and one time and a bit for 30º.
Easy to check up with a marker and checking for a burr.
Plus, the peanut, being so thin, it will outperform others easily. The Mighty Legume, as we call it.
My work sharp is 20° per side on the stones and 25 on the ceramic. I find it to work great on my peanut and recruit. Than it has a small strop opposite side of the ceramic rod. I can get my peanut hair popping sharp and the edge holds up good.

Here's my one week update. I normally carry a Victorinox Manager SAK on my key chain and a rotation of single blade traditionals with blades around 3 inches in my other pocket. I think I've used every tool on the SAK except the blade, since I always have 2 knives. For the past 7 days, I have only carried a Case yellow CV peanut for the 30 day challenge. So how has it gone?

For the most part, the peanut has done the job just fine. However, Saturday we were meeting up with friends at the mall for breakfast and decided to pick ours up from a local market that has great breakfast and lunch sandwiches. My wife decided to grab a small loaf of pumpkin bread to share with our friends. The pumpkin bread loaf was about 3 X 4 inches. All I had was the peanut, so when we met up with our 8 friends at the food court, I didn't feel the peanut was going to work. Sure, I could have cut it, but it might have gotten messy and embarrassed me in front of our friends, so my wife got a plastic knife to cut it. Any of my 3 inch blades would have handled it fine.

On Sunday we went to one of our favorite wineries and my wife bought a block of cheese and crackers for a snack. She came back complaining that they didn't have a knife for the cheese. I said no problem and pulled out the peanut. She had a very suspicious look on her face and I'm sure she didn't think that little knife was enough, but I sliced it up in short order with no problems. The knife is getting the first hints of patina and I want to let it patina naturally, not force it.

I said in my initial post that the Bear and Son single blade peanut I received at the same time had better fit and finish, but I'm revising that now after a more careful inspection. The Bear and Son does have better fit, but the finish isn't as good as the Case. The front bolsters are slightly indented, which looks like the way it's made, and there are small imperfections in the way the scales were finished. I don't care for the thicker blade on the Bear and Son, so I'm going to give it to one of my grand kids or someone who doesn't have a pocket knife.

I'll post another update around the half way point.

Good report, Paul!:thumbsup:

When it came to cutting the bread, that is just the one Achilles heel of the little legume; slicing thick food stuff. But I do recall my dad using his peanut slice a Kaiser roll that was much thicker thanks peanut. He was making a sandwich and used his 'nut. He carefully sliced as deep as he could right up t the bolster, all the way around the roll. Then he very gently twisted the two halves in opposite directions and the roll parted with a little tuft in the middle where it tore loose.

Yes, there's a few things the under estimated legume can't do, and that's slicing a loaf of bread in a conventional manner. Sometimes one has get creative with a 'mostly knife' a knife that is good for 98% of what we mostly run into. Ha veg a smaller slice of bread is a small price to pay for a legume that punches so far over it's weight and fits so well in a watch pocket.:)

Thanks Carl. If it was just me, I would have cut and rotated the loaf, but since I had an audience that was going to eat the pumpkin bread, I figured there were too many things that could go wrong, including excess handling of the food! :)

My old stag peanut has been quite the companion as of late. It’s preformed well and its ability to disspear in the FRP of my cargo shorts on the hot days isn’t underrated.

This weekend I used it quite a bit; making an impromptu spatula to grill hot dogs at the park, cutting open bagels for my wife, slicing cheese and meat, opening packing on all sorts of plastic clamshell items and cutting the zip ties off of a new baby stroller. I had my #66 stockman with me as well, but I felt the need to push the peanut into use and get familiar with it.
606B7DF9-5A06-4480-B702-6D8A00103D11.jpeg

The old work stag is the perfect worry stone by the campfire as well.

Quick side note:
My wife wanted some marshmellows so I had my dad break off a green stick while he was clearing out some shooting paths, he brought it back for me to sharpen a point on. Just when I was about to get to work on it my mom stopped me, she told me she got some marshmallow sticks. I assumed they would be the old steel pronged hotdog style “sticks”, but nope they were shrink wrapped wooden sticks sold in a package of 6. I used the nut to cut open the sticks for my wife, but I couldn’t shake the disgust I had for the pre made sticks. They certainly would have tainted my childhood not having the responsibility to retrieve and sharpen marmellow sticks. It’s a disposable world we live in and there is money to make around every corner.

Just when I was about to get to work on it my mom stopped me, she told me she got some marshmallow sticks. I assumed they would be the old steel pronged hotdog style “sticks”, but nope they were shrink wrapped wooden sticks sold in a package of 6. I used the nut to cut open the sticks for my wife, but I couldn’t shake the disgust I had for the pre made sticks. They certainly would have tainted my childhood not having the responsibility to retrieve and sharpen marmellow sticks. It’s a disposable world we live in and there is money to make around every corner.

PRE MADE MARSHMELLOW STICKS?????

:eek::eek::eek:

(neck of whisky bottle rattles against glass as a stiff drink is shakily poured.)

I have gorn and done it again, picture without words, as you can see my trio of chestnut bone cv case knives the peanut just about lives in my watch pocket and as we all know "Punches above its weight" blah blah , but the simple truth is i do not like to be without it, the swayback gent comes a usefull second but misses out by being a single blade. The mini trapper has been parachuted in to take the place of any one of my GEC knives as i seem to be on a Case kick at the moment.

Back