Cult of the peanut , members

I am a total failure at electrical work but today I repaired the house AC!! The AC failed and it has been so hot!! No AC man until Monday so I gave it a try. The problem was electrical and I fixed it! Very happy to have a cool house.

Peanut stripped wires and made it Happen

SjzS89R.jpg

I am a total failure at electrical work but today I repaired the house AC!! The AC failed and it has been so hot!! No AC man until Monday so I gave it a try. The problem was electrical and I fixed it! Very happy to have a cool house.

Peanut to the rescue. Karl will be proud of you!

SjzS89R.jpg
I know the feeling of a hot house we had a really hot day back in July and it fried our a/c. Luckily it was a capacitor and I fixed the next day. Of course the peanut helped. Glad you got it fixed. That peanut of yours is looking good.

SjzS89R.jpg

You're a better man than I, Gunga Din. :thumbsup:

When it comes to anything electric, I have to pay very close attention when changing flashlight batteries. o_O

I recently picked up this A.G. Russell Pinched Peanut in mammoth ivory (the same model that @Peregrin has posted about previously); it hasn't left my pocket since I got it! All stainless liners, (integral) bolsters, and pins with VG10 blades. I love the Wharncliffe secondary. Good fit and finish. The ivory has a really beautiful subtle grain to it, which (as usual, given my lack of photography skills) I couldn't capture well. An all-around nice, useful knife.

peanut.jpg

I recently picked up this A.G. Russell Pinched Peanut in mammoth ivory (the same model that @Peregrin has posted about previously); it hasn't left my pocket since I got it! All stainless liners, (integral) bolsters, and pins with VG10 blades. I love the Wharncliffe secondary. Good fit and finish. The ivory has a really beautiful subtle grain to it, which (as usual, given my lack of photography skills) I couldn't capture well. An all-around nice, useful knife.

View attachment 969310

I really like those Russell Peanuts.

View attachment 969310

I'm glad you like it. I know I like mine. The little Wharncliffe blade really comes in handy. AG hit it out of the park with the Pinched Peanut.

Whew, I finally made it through all 201 pages! I'm fairly new to the forum, though I lurked for a while before joining. Somewhere around page 50, I decided to become a member of the cult and ordered a Case yellow CV and a Bear and Son stainless single blade in rosewood. Both arrived before I finished getting through the thread. These are my first peanuts.

I've really enjoyed the stories and sometimes humor of the thread (especially the incursions from the cult of the Texas Jack). I also learned a great deal from the knowledgeable folks here. Here are the knives:

Peanuts.jpg

The Bear and Son seems to have better fit and finish. Both knives have flush backsprings when closed, but when open, the Bear and Son has a just slightly proud backspring (enough to catch your fingernail), while the clip blade backspring on the Case is low enough to be noticeable. The backspring on the pen blade is flush. The Bear and Son blade is centered, while neither blade on the Case is, as both are off center to the left.

Peanuts2.jpg

The scales on the Bear and Son are thicker in the middle, so it's almost as wide as the Case. Both are made in the USA, but I paid about $12 less for the Bear and Son.

Welcome PaulS. PaulS. ! That's quite a feat to take on this entire thread! I have a couple of peanuts, including the little yeller fella. Nice little knife. I've not seen many (any?) of the Case peanuts with centered blades in person, I know neither of mine do, but none touch the edge so they're fine with me on those knives.

Thanks! It took me about a week of spare time to get through it. Yeah, it's fine for everyday use. If I was looking for a collectors knife, I would have to see it in person though.

PaulS. PaulS. welcome :) I like that Bear & Son looks like a nice little peanut. I am a fan of the single blade variety.
I have yet to see a Case peanut with perfectly straight blades I wouldn't worry about that unless it is rubbing.

The Sawcut Chestnut Bone Carbon Damascus is very straight, as I asked for extra check up, but my regular edc since 2011, the chestnut peanut in CV, has the clip blade almost touching the liner, thing that I don't really mind.
I love traditional knives for their very thin and very slicey shapes and the thought that went into them.
I have some with blades with double the thickness from others, (sheepsfoot) which are practically the same in shape, but the thinner ones cut much better.

How do you like that Bear and Sons PaulS. PaulS. ? The blade looks pretty thick for a Peanut. Is it still a slicer?

I like it so far, but I really haven't had a chance to use it. The blade is quite a bit thicker than the Case blades. I compared it to my only other Case knife, a Slimline Trapper, and the blade was about the same thickness if that helps. I started the 30 day challenge today and am carrying the Case Peanut as my only knife. It feels a bit strange the first time leaving my SAK and larger knives at home.

Peanut3.jpg

Back