Cumming Bladeworks USA

Does anyone know if any will be made with green micarta? More specifically the Bushmasters. I will hold off getting one in black if some green ones are going to hit the market at some point.

The Bushmaster I have been checking out has green scales, so I would think that would be one of the options.

20180117_010944.jpg

trail master for some future classes
They would enjoy a Trailmaster. It's a really good size for a do-just-about-everything knife - 4" handle, 3 5/8" blade. The cutting edge on mine is right about 3 1/2". I will say this knife was not quite as sharp as my Fiddlebacks and certainly not my OKTs. That's not to say it wasn't sharp, it just didn't glide through copy paper as smoothly as those others.

I had it out today helping burn some debris and then cook up a burger. Besides the Wax Wood Stick, I used it to baton some pine, and it handled that with no problem at all. After that, I batoned a short piece of oak. Again no problem. Once I was done with all that, the knife still sliced paper just as same as it did when I first got it. I looked at the blade's edge under 10X magnification and did see very slight micro chips. I didn't check before the oak, so I can't say for certain where those showed up, but I've seen the same before with S35VN.

Oh, and according to @Fiddleback Outpost, owning this knife makes the ladies swoon, so it's got that going for it too!

40691649752_5cacb2453a_c.jpg

40691646492_d90298997c_c.jpg

40691647612_94c65c1f04_c.jpg

My only complaint is the acute edges at the butt and, to a lesser extent, along the underside. I would prefer these be slightly beveled, but a little sanding can make that happen.
39839471435_e1afa34f8a_c.jpg

Last edited:
I have the utility, trailmaster and bushmaster. My favorite is the trailmaster. It is sized appropriately for just about any general task. It is easy to carry and fits very well in the hand. I too think the angles can be a bit uncomfortable but I believe this is Andy’s vision to provide an affordable great looking and very functional knife. Rounding those edges would add to the value of the knife and take it out of that particular market. BUT as R RobbieB stated, a little sanding can fix that. I am going to purchase a second one and attempt to do just that. I’ll let you know how it goes.
2nd place is the bushmaster and third utility. I don’t believe I’ll be purchasing the smaller versions. Would like to see some pics and discussion on these from @Warrior108 since he picked up all the smaller ones. IMO you can’t go wrong with the Cummings line up.

Rounding those edges would add to the value of the knife and take it out of that particular market. BUT as R RobbieB stated, a little sanding can fix that. I am going to purchase a second one and attempt to do just that.
I sanded the edges of mine last night, and here's a before & after photo. The difference is visually subtle, but tactilely it's significant.
25876538137_97d0b10794_b.jpg

Rounding those edges would add to the value of the knife and take it out of that particular market. BUT as R RobbieB stated, a little sanding can fix that. I am going to purchase a second one and attempt to do just that. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Please do!

Meanwhile, R RobbieB is on it:
I sanded the edges of mine last night, and here's a before & after photo. The difference is visually subtle, but tactilely it's significant.
25876538137_97d0b10794_b.jpg

Good to know! In your prior post, you mentioned "My only complaint is the acute edges at the butt and, to a lesser extent, along the underside.[/quote]

Could you please explain more about what you mean by "along the underside"?

Did your recent ministrations take care of this area, as well?

Thx!

~ P.

Could you please explain more about what you mean by "along the underside"?

Did your recent ministrations take care of this area, as well?
I don't think I can capture that very well in a photo, but below is my best attempt. The very bottom of the scales are ground flat with the tang. The side is curved, and where those two meet (identified by the arrows in this photo) had a slight edge. It was not as pronounced as the edge at the butt, and I wouldn't say it was really uncomfortable in the hand, but it was distracting. I suspect it would become more noticeable if using the knife for a long period of time. Yes, ministrations were effective. This photo is after the sanding; I didn't take a before picture.
40711459732_4c6821eae9_c.jpg

To add further: what grit sand paper did you use
I may have cheated a little. I have an entry level 1 x 42 inch belt sander from Kalamazoo Industries, and used it to knock the edge off these scales. I didn't want to take much off, so I used a 1000 grit belt just on the butt's edges. I finished by briefly hand sanding with 1500 and then 2000 grit paper. I tend to use finer grain abrasives. I only hand sanded the underside, and the progression I used was 800 -> 1000 -> 1500 -> 2000. If I were to this again, I'd start with a coarser grit, probably 400. Again, I only wanted to remove a tiny bit of Micarta.

Thanks for posting your thoughts folks.
You're very welcome. Something about the Trailmaster I neglected to mention before is that it's a fast handling knife. It feels very nimble. Maybe not as much as an Elf, which is incredibly light and fast, but it feels very maneuverable. My Trailmaster weighs in at 3.8 oz. The balance point is between the first two pins. I have found a four-inch handle to be just about perfect for me in a general purpose knife. It provides just enough room without a lot of extra handle to get in the way. I'm really liking the Trailmaster and expect it will accompany me frequently in the coming months as I'm doing things outdoors.

Back