DEK1

Discussion in 'Carothers Performance Knives' started by Lorien, Sep 20, 2017.

1. mb>

mb> Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Thanks Gus! Yes to both. Loving the double black.

2. .357gus

.357gus Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 30, 2011
    The fasteners came out real nice Mark. If you don’t mind, could you tell us how you did it? @mb>

3. mb>

Sep 24, 2014
    Thanks man. I was afraid you might ask that. Now I have to reveal my utter lack of Ti wisdom. o_O Haha

I’ve only ever torched a couple stainless clips before. I’ve read about the color progression on Ti once, but instead of refreshing myself first, I dove right in like a dummy. As you heat it up, it goes something like [bronze] purple, blue, and silver again. I went too far on the other side and ended up silver. I vaguely recall that maybe you can sand the surface and retry those (not 100% on that).

Also, in my haste I didn’t bother removing the red loctite/show side screw from the barrel like a dummy. I didn’t realize the barrels are apparently aluminum (?), so I overheated those and deformed them. Don’t do that!

So yeah. Be careful. Have fun. Some pliers and a torch and you’re there. I used a MAP gas torch because it’s what I have (it’s my lump charcoal grill starter). It burns hotter than propane though. Just feather in the heat til you get the color you’re after and go no further than that.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
  4. .357gus

.357gus Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Thanks Mark!

5. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    Bronze, purple,blue then back to silver-ish...take it slow and sneak up on the color you want. You can sand and try again, but you wont be able to strip the hex hole.:thumbsup::)

6. mb>

Sep 24, 2014
    Yeah what he said! That hex hole could be a project for sure. Lolz Thanks Chip. :)

7. Burke

Burke Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 25, 1999
    That looks like a million bucks!

8. 1AbominAble1

1AbominAble1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Knife looks great!
    And,
    I have that same table :)

9. on_the_edge

on_the_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Quick question…
    The FK1 and DEK1 have blades in front of the handle that are very similar in size and shape. The DEK1 is slightly thinner stock with an ever so slightly pointier tip. I've read that the DEK1 is better suited for use as a weapon, but outside of that area, what does one excel at in use that the other does not? I guess I'm trying to discern best uses of each, if one might be a better choice for a given task than the other. Thanks in advance for any help. :thumbsup:

_DSC2495A.JPG

10. Nathan the Machinist

Nathan the Machinist KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 13, 2007
    It is the handle that makes a knife

11. on_the_edge

Jan 31, 2006
    Based on my reading, I got the sense that a lot of effort when in to refining the handle in the creation/evolution of the DEK1. Would you say it is "better" than an FK1 in most things due to handle comfort? I can definitely feel the difference in hand, but I do love the FK1.

Visyoual, BIGDORK, woodysone and 5 others like this.
  12. Lorien

Lorien KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 5, 2005
    do some science! They are different for reasons that using, (and carrying) them will unveil

report back. I'd love to hear what you all are thinking about after playing around with your DEKs for a bit

duramax, BIGDORK, woodysone and 6 others like this.
  13. Big DJ

Big DJ Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 29, 2013
    So far I love the handle and the way it fits my hand. I wear XL gloves and its very comfortable for me. For my purposes I wish that the blade was a little shorter, (about the same length as the handle) or about 4" long. That being said I really like it.

duramax, BIGDORK, woodysone and 3 others like this.
  14. Lorien

Lorien KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 5, 2005
    I'll post up some video at some point which will be helpful for those disinclined toward using their shiny precious knives ;)

15. on_the_edge

Jan 31, 2006
    ttabf.jpg

16. Hard Knocks

Hard Knocks Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2012
    Where do these balance compared to say a FK2? More blade forward? Will they roll forward if you open your grip?

17. on_the_edge

Jan 31, 2006
    Not sure about an FK2 since I don't have one. On an FK1, balance point is about .35" behind the first screw. The knife weighs 7.9 oz. The balance point on the DEK1 is right at the first screw. It weighs 6.2 oz.

duramax, woodysone, .357gus and 3 others like this.
  18. trevitrace

trevitrace Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 21, 2013
    For me the dek stays put on my index finger if I open up the rest of the grip.

Both the original and newer FK's are in the closet and the better half is asleep so I can't do a comparison at the moment.

vkp78, duramax, woodysone and 4 others like this.
  19. Hard Knocks

Hard Knocks Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2012
    It sounds like it's balanced a little more forward, but stays put in open grip. Thank you guys, that's what I was hoping for.

duramax, woodysone, .357gus and 2 others like this.
  20. mb>

Sep 24, 2014
    I think @on_the_edge already nailed it, but here’s some pics. There’s actually a good 1/4” or so wiggle room on either side of the casing where it’ll balance, but I tried to find the middle. Slightly skinnier balancing act than a finger, not as precise as a nail.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]