DEK1

I don't understand the point. What makes an axe work so well is the concentrated weight. Why use a material that is used for it's light weight? So you have to use more of it to accomplish the same goals?
Maybe the intended use is relatively light chopping when hiking for several days (so the light weight would help as far as hiking is concerned)? I'm not sure that titanium holds an edge for very long either, but maybe it's good enough for limited use.

Maybe the intended use is relatively light chopping when hiking for several days (so the light weight would help as far as hiking is concerned)? I'm not sure that titanium holds an edge for very long either, but maybe it's good enough for limited use.

It can hold an edge, at least Mecha's can (he uses certain Ti alloys). Dude competed on Knife or Death with Ti and did great.

have you used a titanium blade before?

I have not used a Ti blade, but the thing that pops into my head (and I am just talking through my hat here, I have no idea if I am even close) is the idea that with a Ti axe head you could get a longer handle since the leverage wouldn't be as much of a hassle, so you could get better edge speed. Also, you could get a broader edge which would allow a greater margin of error. I imagine that a double bit axe in Ti would be mighty nice handling.

But again, this is all based on wild conjecture on my part. I've swung my share of axes, but I've never really analyzed them.

Titanium is about half the weight of steel and about half the stiffness. The stiffness of a beam is a function of the modulus of elasticity of the material and the geometry of the beam. The increase in rigidity to thickness is nonlinear, it increases to the third power of the thickness, so when you double the thickness it is eight times stiffer. This allows a more flexible material to be stiffer in some applications if it is light enough due to the increase in sectional modulus.

In my opinion, this makes titanium a very compelling material for a sword. Many swords have thin flimsy blades so they don't get too tip heavy. Titanium can allow a more substantial blade without the weight penalty of steel and despite being more flexible can make a stiffer sword due to the increase in thickness. Since swords are usually not run particularly hard, and people like Sam have been developing heat treats with certain titanium alloys that do hold an edge pretty well, I think a titanium sword is a futuristic material well suited for the application.

I don't know enough about axes to render a opinion on the use of titanium in an ax head. It does seem like the rigidity issue is moot.

0l3xzxCl.jpg

I've been making a small contribution to the world's supply of sawdust today.

thanks jlauffer jlauffer Those are just sorta sanded at 220 grit and I washed them in water to see what was going on. I don't have the fastener countersinks or finish sanding yet, but my actual reaction was, "Wow!"

Ironwood shows up in a big way once in awhile.

OK back to you guys using your knives for, you know,... knife stuff.

thanks jlauffer jlauffer Those are just sorta sanded at 220 grit and I washed them in water to see what was going on. I don't have the fastener countersinks or finish sanding yet, but my actual reaction was, "Wow!"

Ironwood shows up in a big way once in awhile.

OK back to you guys using your knives for, you know,... knife stuff.

That was my reaction too!

Back