DEK1

So, when I see myself in a confrontational situation that requires me to draw my knife, I assume that I'd be doing so in a state of panic. I would draw that knife probably at the last minute, since I would want to avoid a bloody outcome, or maybe there's already a cougar on my back trying to bite my neck. In the case of an animal attack they don't care whether or not you have a knife. Brandishing a weapon when a person's involved MAY help de escalate a situation, but that is absolutely not the case with an animal.

In case of this defending oneself from animal attack, I would think during that moment of so much stress and fear, one would easily/unawarely loose grip and drop the knife.
Have you ever considered a ringed butt like a karambit in the design development phase to make it more undisarmable (if that is a word)?
I owned a few karambits, while I like the coolness factor, they are not functional as utility knife due to their curved blade and handle.
I imagine a DEK blade profile with a ringed handle would be a nice weapon utility knife.

Quick FYI and probably only works at night, but I've had loose dogs come charging at me twice recently while walking our new puppy. Last night it was two of them. Both times the strobe feature on a tactical flashlight stopped them in their tracks. Surprisingly effective.

Quick FYI and probably only works at night, but I've had loose dogs come charging at me twice recently while walking our new puppy. Last night it was two of them. Both times the strobe feature on a tactical flashlight stopped them in their tracks. Surprisingly effective.

I'm in the city but there are coyotes in my area (moreso with covid and people being out less). They've already attacked a couple dogs so some of my neighbors now bring a trekking pole with them when walking their dogs.

They're widely acceptable and law enforcement won't bug you if you have one. They're much safer in my opinion because you don't need to get close to the animal too jab/deter them.

I'm in the city but there are coyotes in my area (moreso with covid and people being out less). They've already attacked a couple dogs so some of my neighbors now bring a trekking pole with them when walking their dogs.

They're widely acceptable and law enforcement won't bug you if you have one. They're much safer in my opinion because you don't need to get close to the animal too jab/deter them.
Yes, probably more acceptable than the sword cane I want to make!

I wouldn't rely on that. I've tried that with a 4,000 lumen XT21X. While it may surprise some dogs, others aren't fazed by it.

Pepper spray is a good non-lethal canine deterrent (also deters 2 legged predators). Get the stream version, as it shoots further. Fox Labs 5.3.

Not a first hand account.
While on a section hike of the AT (Smokey mountain section) we heard this from other hikers the next day who were at the shelter at which this occurred.
Around midnight a black bear and her two cubs wandered into camp at the shelter. The Cubs were making enough noise that it woke the hikers in the shelter. Those hikers quickly woke everyone up. The Cubs were wandering fairly close to the shelter so the hikers started clapping and making loud noises in an effort to scare them off. Mama bear took it as a threat. So she got between the cubs and the hikers. She was agitated and made a few (weak) warning charges towards the shelter. Never closer to the shelter than about 15 feet, but was getting closer each time. A lot of the hikers had their flashlights on and were waving them around. One guy had a fairly powerful flashlight and set it to strobe. Everybody could immediately see the bear react to the strobe. The bear seemed confused by the strobe. All the other hikers began to turn their flashlights off until it was just the strobe. Mama bear paced back and forth a couple times and then physically ushered the cubs away. She was literally pushing the one and then the other with her head (they were still very curious of all the new smells). Got the same story from multiple hikers that were there.

Not a first hand account.
While on a section hike of the AT (Smokey mountain section) we heard this from other hikers the next day who were at the shelter at which this occurred.
Around midnight a black bear and her two cubs wandered into camp at the shelter. The Cubs were making enough noise that it woke the hikers in the shelter. Those hikers quickly woke everyone up. The Cubs were wandering fairly close to the shelter so the hikers started clapping and making loud noises in an effort to scare them off. Mama bear took it as a threat. So she got between the cubs and the hikers. She was agitated and made a few (weak) warning charges towards the shelter. Never closer to the shelter than about 15 feet, but was getting closer each time. A lot of the hikers had their flashlights on and were waving them around. One guy had a fairly powerful flashlight and set it to strobe. Everybody could immediately see the bear react to the strobe. The bear seemed confused by the strobe. All the other hikers began to turn their flashlights off until it was just the strobe. Mama bear paced back and forth a couple times and then physically ushered the cubs away. She was literally pushing the one and then the other with her head (they were still very curious of all the new smells). Got the same story from multiple hikers that were there.
Damn! Some of those new smells probably came from the hikers' pants!

jPuLG2Hh.jpg

Just received my DEK1 today. This is my first CPK. I was very surprised by how light it is. This has got to be the sharpest knife I have ever had straight out of the box. Feels great in the hand. I haven't gotten to use it yet on anything other than a few packages that came later in the mail than it did, but I can certainly see why everyone is speaking so highly of it. Love it so far. Definitely going to have to look into some more CPKs in the future.

Back