DEK1

Wow! I love my DEK1, and my sons love theirs! I love the way the knife feels in my hands, and the wood is gorgeous! I think it's Osage Orange but I'm not sure. It looks kinda like the Cocobolo scales that another person posted earlier in the thread. Whatever the wood is, it's gorgeous! Way to go guys! Thanks Jo, Nathan, Lorien, and everyone at CPK - outstanding work! My DEK1 will be on my belt when I kick the bucket. I've decided to EDC it.
I figured that my oldest son would want me to put the Double Black Micarta scales on his knife, but he loves the Red & Black Linen Micarta scales that came mounted on his knife. I'll have to send my youngest son a photo of all the scales and see which ones he wants mounted on his knife. He may want to keep the Green & Black Linen Micarta scales that came mounted on his too.
I took these photos at my sons house because I visited my grandbabies and didn't think that I would receive my knives until Monday. But they arrived right before I took off to visit the babies. I'll take some better photos later today with my camera on the stand. I took these photos freehand. All three have the swedge and penetrator tip. I forgot to ask for black hardware.
I love my knife and I am very happy! Thanks again!!

View attachment 1564931View attachment 1564932View attachment 1564933View attachment 1564934
I'll eat my own words from before - that wood looks marvelous!
Other 2 linen mircata are also 👌
Glad you're happy. Enjoy it, dek is just an absolute win of a knife.

Wow! I love my DEK1, and my sons love theirs! I love the way the knife feels in my hands, and the wood is gorgeous! I think it's Osage Orange but I'm not sure. It looks kinda like the Cocobolo scales that another person posted earlier in the thread. Whatever the wood is, it's gorgeous! Way to go guys! Thanks Jo, Nathan, Lorien, and everyone at CPK - outstanding work! My DEK1 will be on my belt when I kick the bucket. I've decided to EDC it.
I figured that my oldest son would want me to put the Double Black Micarta scales on his knife, but he loves the Red & Black Linen Micarta scales that came mounted on his knife. I'll have to send my youngest son a photo of all the scales and see which ones he wants mounted on his knife. He may want to keep the Green & Black Linen Micarta scales that came mounted on his too.
I took these photos at my sons house because I visited my grandbabies and didn't think that I would receive my knives until Monday. But they arrived right before I took off to visit the babies. I'll take some better photos later today with my camera on the stand. I took these photos freehand. All three have the swedge and penetrator tip. I forgot to ask for black hardware.
I love my knife and I am very happy! Thanks again!!

View attachment 1564931View attachment 1564932View attachment 1564933View attachment 1564934
Wow that is phenomenal!
I mean they all are, but the coccbolo... damn.
Its a nice naturally oily wood too.

Don't mind me as I'm just messing around with my new toy (Canon EOS M50). Man I got sick and tired of getting dumbed down on my photography basics using iPhones which made things so much easier to just point and shoot versus using a real camera. If Tommy approves, I'm on my way ;)

CNtF3tC.jpg
That's a big improvement Mat:thumbsup::cool:

at the end of my process, and the beginning of Nathan's, I told him I changed my mind about swedge vs. no swedge and encouraged the addition of a swedge. By that point, the die was cast in regards to the intention of the knife and the design specifications- DEK1 is meant to look, (and work) more or less like a hunting knife, and the swedge pins it pretty obviously to the weapon category. I'm glad that Nathan maintained fidelity to the og design foundation, and I'm also glad he made the swedge option available. The swedge does look cool, but I'm glad it wasn't incorporated into the design as a standard feature

“(I'm just doing them by hand and eye with monkey meat interpolation) that are both time consuming to setup and risky due to cutting on an otherwise finished ready-to-ship knife without a setup part to prove out the process when it occasionally comes up”
Thank you so much Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist for offering the swedge and sharpened tip options in the preorder.I love my regular DEK1 too, but this one is flat out, balls to the wall fantastic! I really dig your bad ideas.:thumbsup:;)

Last edited:
“(I'm just doing them by hand and eye with monkey meat interpolation) that are both time consuming to setup and risky due to cutting on an otherwise finished ready-to-ship knife without a setup part to prove out the process when it occasionally comes up”
Thank you so much Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist for offering the swedge and sharpened tip options in the preorder.I love my regular DEK1 too, but this one is flat out, balls to the wall fantastic! I really dig your bad ideas.:thumbsup:;)
I agree with you there Gus, thanks Nathan! The two swedged/sharpened tip knives I got are phenomenal. I appreciate you being so accommodating despite it not being in you best interest. I feel fortunate that I thought to ask for the option and very lucky that you allowed it to happen.

Nice looking slab of greasy hammer handle you got on that one Gus.

I was eagerly waiting to see photos of the acid wash + satin primary grind versions of DEK1 loaded up with swedge and the penetrator tip; and these last two postings by Gus and I Am Bleeding look fantastic :thumbsup: I also went crazy for one of those which I expect to be landing at the doorstep by mid next week.

I thought the "D" in DEK stood for Defense or Defensive (?) :confused: That pretty much launches it into the weapons category, IMO. Unless that stag I thought I killed suddenly springs to life while I'm field dressing it, and then I guess it could be used for "defensive" hunting. :p
this is why we like catchy acronyms
those who know, know

Back