Design Merits and value of BK62

WOW! Just received my 62 and what an impressive KNIFE for the Price! I'm looking at all extra steps involved machining this blade . The way it feels in my hand is amazing. I like the balance and can't wait to use it. Even the Sheath is nice :D we are having much needed rain right now so all I'm going to do for now is admire it . A BIG THANK YOU TO ETHAN and KaBar for making this happen for a VERY REASONABLE PRICE :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Sorry for my mumbling, but when I first saw the Kephart knife I was wondering whats the big deal ? Than hearing some of the details it had sparked my interest. Now checking my own copy out and thinking the trouble of making a blade like this back than is nothing short of Amazing . I'm really digging this Knife ;) that is all I hope :D

When I first saw the new design of the bk62 and it's use of hardware, This is what my first thoughts on what it should be...... I'm really liking this look, but it took me awhile to implement. I think the use of old timey looking hardware complients the design.

When I first saw the new design of the bk62 and it's use of hardware, This is what my first thoughts on what it should be...... I'm really liking this look, but it took me awhile to implement. I think the use of old timey looking hardware complients the design.

I'am assuming the hardware is Stainless. A nice look I think is to heat the screws and the indexing washers red hot after cooling they will have a bronze rainbow color which I think would be the icing on the cake :thumbsup: But the shiny screws have a nice look too ;) thanks for sharing that set up :D

The screws and nuts in the pic below left were shiny Stainless and that heated red hot .
IMG_3708.JPG

Last edited:
I'am assuming the hardware is Stainless. A nice look I think is to heat the screws and the indexing washers red hot after cooling they will have a bronze rainbow color which I think would be the icing on the cake :thumbsup: But the shiny screws have a nice look too ;) thanks for sharing that set up :D

The screws and nuts in the pic below left were shiny Stainless and that heated red hot .
View attachment 1030031

X, I like the look of the screws you used. Very clever with the heat... I'd do that too if I was using stainless on the 62, but mine are brass...I'm looking forward to that warm buttery look of tarnished brass.....haha!

X, I like the look of the screws you used. Very clever with the heat... I'd do that too if I was using stainless on the 62, but mine are brass...I'm looking forward to that warm buttery look of tarnished brass.....haha!
Very nice Crag ! The pics had me thinking you used Stainless :rolleyes: the brass is going to look Perfect ;)

Hey Crag....

I am so glad that you have seen the light....Wait until you start using it for something other than DIY wrist surgery...LOL....Me thinks you will like it a lot!....e

How is the healing going?

Thank Ethan......you know, at this time of the season, little kids are opening their Advent calendars..... I had my daughter open up my stiches on the first day....lol
I'll post later maybe?

:)

I've owned my 62 since Dec 2018 and paid only $ 115 from my usual Ka-Bar dealer. It is one of my favorite knives at any price. I did replace the leather sheath with Kydex to offer me more carry options.

I like the walnut scales and that after use the entire knife looks like it's 100 years old. Like Horace's looked after a year in the woods.

My scales are mismatched with the right much darker than the left and the left has more figure.

The reason for my post is to find out if there are any aftermarket higher end wood scales avaiable that are the same contour as the factory scales?

The reason for my post is to find out if there are any aftermarket higher end wood scales avaiable that are the same contour as the factory scales?
I haven't seen any. Kind of surprised really. I asked KA-BAR if they would offer scales for it, (stock ones) and they said, "The chances are high this will happen, though nothing imminent".

I haven't seen any. Kind of surprised really. I asked KA-BAR if they would offer scales for it, (stock ones) and they said, "The chances are high this will happen, though nothing imminent".
I had asked them similarly if any stock replacement walnut scales are available, as I was concerned if a modification-gone-bad occurred I'd be without an important part of the historical recreation. I don't have the skill set to replicate them myself, though I'm sure others could. Becker's response was that currently there are no replacement scales available. No further comment on whether they would in the future, but glad to read The Warrior The Warrior response!

I had a custom knife maker offer to make me some custom ones for mine, I may take the offer up. I could use the handle a little longer.

I suppose this is as good a place as any to post this.....

I know the measurements were taken from the original Kephart that Ethan acquired. Kabar took it from there and probably with some assistance from Ethan. Some of the custom guys are making great Kepharts too that both reflect the original knife and knives with more modern materials. I have one of Dan Eastland's Kepharts (Dogwood Dan).

My question is that I have not seen any pictures/drawings of the Kephart in Horace Kephart's books to date. I have seen no general specs listed in his writings. So, maybe somebody who knows a whole lot more than me can educate me.

Are there any specs from when the knife was first crafted?
When did Colclesser Brothers begin selling the Kephart?

I'm trying to fit the time line to his books for the most part.

I am very fond of the Becker BK-62 that I own.

Back