Dhan Bahadur Villager Utility Knives for 8/21

I don't get too aggressive myself and usually don't go much coarser than like 180, course it depends how rough the handle is too.
After it's relatively smooth you can start sanding with linseed oil even adding some of the sanding dust back into the equation to fill the void in the wood grain.

If it's dry and rough, I start getting it a little damp, not dunking it in water but a wet rag and let it dry, this makes the grain stand up. Raising the grain. Then with fresh good sandpaper you can sand the hairs standing up and your on your way to a slick finish.

Thanks, I only have tungoil finish (wiping varnish) at the moment, so I rubbed in some ballistol after I sanded. I still need to sand more, reshaping a bit. I probably wont go too smooth though. I would like a little more grain. Have any of you guys noticed the handles are slightly right handed. I moved the apex of the buttplate over a bit to the right. Just a bit the first time, figured id see how it went before committing.

Its my kvluk, the handle is way shorter than my big siru, so I feel it more. I do notice it on the siru, but its off limits......I seem to break things im fixing lately.

How aggressive are you sanding, are you using wood polish, like Johnson's?
Depending on how rough it is really but I start with 220 and go all the way as far as 2000. Some like it rough but i dont have a problem hanging on to a polished handle so Ill polish all the way like mirror smooth horn. Most people dont do this but when you get to 800 or 1000 you can still see improvements in the grain and colors each time you go finer so I go as fine as I have paper. This is especially true on the harder woods like satisal. I prefer using BLO in multiple layers rubbing it in with the palm of my hand creating friction until it is warm to touch. Then repeat as many times as you can stand it.

I don't see the 2 tone, I looked at that too. How can you tell it's two tone, I only see one side. You think I need to hit the 50% off sale at the Sears optical department. I seem to be missing a lot lately. Almost like I'm out of the loop or I'm loopy or perhaps its the deer in the headlights look from yesterday?
Hey i did hit the optical store last week for some specs so maybe im seeing things. The left quarter side of the handle is dark and the rest is light colored. I just sanded mine and it turned almost white but its neem. Im figuring that satisal is the same. Yall gonna make me buy it to prove it:D Im about half tempted...but.I have four ..VUKS already.

Thanks, I only have tungoil finish (wiping varnish) at the moment, so I rubbed in some ballistol after I sanded. I still need to sand more, reshaping a bit. I probably wont go too smooth though. I would like a little more grain. Have any of you guys noticed the handles are slightly right handed. I moved the apex of the buttplate over a bit to the right. Just a bit the first time, figured id see how it went before committing.

Its my kvluk, the handle is way shorter than my big siru, so I feel it more. I do notice it on the siru, but its off limits......I seem to break things im fixing lately.

Don't tell me your left handed hawk, that's a hell of a disability to have to through life with.

The buttplates on the non-chiruwa handled khukuris do vary in orientation with the blade. If it's rotated counterclockwise (viewing from the back of the khukuri), it's fine if you're right handed, but not so good if your left-handed. But I have one that is rotated clockwise a bit and digs into my palm, since I'm right handed, so I'm going to correct it by filing it down a bit to move it back to center.

Yes Bawanna, God has touched me.....well Grandma always said I was touched.....or special......or shortbus.

Hard to recall through the blurr of my halo, actually kinda blinding...and confusing. (PS, auto correct changed your name to bananna, lol).

The real reason I stay at home is the masses mob me, beg to touch my clothes......its rough being a lefty.

The buttplates on the non-chiruwa handled khukuris do vary in orientation with the blade. If it's rotated counterclockwise (viewing from the back of the khukuri), it's fine if you're right handed, but not so good if your left-handed. But I have one that is rotated clockwise a bit and digs into my palm, since I'm right handed, so I'm going to correct it by filing it down a bit to move it back to center.

Thats what I did too, but in the other direction. Nice with the kvluk, its not so pricey that I dont dare try.

Well looks like fate wanted me to have # 10 after all as I had ems'ed and then sent an email to back out about 15 minutes later in which time aunties computer must have died... so she sent it anyway sending me a kind response to my second email when she did receive it. so looks like its made to be and ill be getting a new kuk today. HI never ceases to impress me from a quality and customer service standpoint. we truly are spoiled by what I now consider the single best company in the business of keeping our blade addiction satiated. To Auntie and everyone else at HI my greatest thanks for providing us with this.

nice , I got the done deal on a DBVUK but have no idea which one; looking forward too it

Yes Bawanna, God has touched me.....well Grandma always said I was touched.....or special......or shortbus.

Hard to recall through the blurr of my halo, actually kinda blinding...and confusing. (PS, auto correct changed your name to bananna, lol).

The real reason I stay at home is the masses mob me, beg to touch my clothes......its rough being a lefty.

I've been called lots worse than bananna before. I was wondering why I had this urge to touch your clothes. This explains it. I thought I was coming down with something....

well folks I was hoping to have some updates for you by now but still havnt gotten #10 in yet. Apparently the mail man doesn't like me this week. Emailed auntie to see if there is any way to track the package. Hoping it comes tomorrow otherwise it wont come until at least Tuesday..... been looking forward to this and really cant wait to see it.

We'll keep our fingers crossed for ya. I know the pain of waiting, the anxiety of anxiousness, can throw your heartbeat off with anticipation.

I'm thinking tomorrow for sure, maybe even today. Quite often the mail person misses the package and if they are nice, they swing back by and drop it off, happens all the time here at work.

Also pays to suck up to the delivery person, whatever it takes to get knife in hand poste haste.

Well looks like we had a bit of stealth action going on here since my last visit. One left? Six months ago that dark satisal one would have been the first one gone? The light colored ones are hot now for some reason? Who got the two tone #14?
After a bit of sanding and BLO treatment here are some pics of #16.
593735dd56142a4343a4614a2fcb959c

2ccb3e36b4e7b5533ebb54453cc55cf0

b938dcadcf7d4fd9f97a55ca12f5584f

a2c9d76bc553836a5e108f958027b441

8d1fe5fc7165d1e46d52f9325e99e03c

Top is KLVUK, Middle is DBVUK #16 and below is Lok Baby CAK. You might notice there was a slight gap at the butplate but its now filled and is nice and solid.
43b23b00c529c338ae561676adff1a1a

The spine on the DBVUK is even thicker than my KLVUK. The near 1:1 ratio makes you think fighter but this DBVUK definitely has the feel of a chopper.

Last edited:
Ah! great! Thats a nice one! Norway:eek: Might have to wait a few more days to get it there? Is that your first Khuk? Welcome to the Forum and the shark tank!
I got the two-tone #14 ndog, waiting for the package.

Back