Did your Traditional knife get a workout today? -Part II

I have an old Colonial cigar patterned Jack-knife that I modded last Summer that despite the 2.25" main blade and side to side play, it cut down 4x thick cardboard walls on pallets containing tons of steel parts. 3 foot cut, 4 per pallet, 8 pallets down... Edge still easily brought back with less than a minute on the fine stone. Gotta love that old American carbon steel!

"Did your Traditional knife get a workout today?"
Hardly a workout but since I don't hunt anymore, I gotta give the knives a little taste once in awhile. :)

My Lloyd Shadow helped me tuck into a nice slice of a Christmas rib roast on toast with brown gravy for lunch. Yummy!
2NMCizK.jpg

Hardly a workout but since I don't hunt anymore, I gotta give the knives a little taste once in awhile. :)

My Lloyd Shadow helped me tuck into a nice slice of a Christmas rib roast on toast with brown gravy for lunch. Yummy!
2NMCizK.jpg

No fair, ours is all gone :D

I've been wanting to do some more whittling so I used my Rough Rider split-back whittler to create a little bas relief leaf in a block of basswood. I use the Opinel mini-steel to touch up the edges when they begin to lose their sharpness. The amber bone on this knife has been re-dyed with Rit "scarlet". Funny, my other RR whittler has a very heavy pull, and this one is extremely light. I generally like the fit and finish of RR knives, but backspring tension seems to vary a lot. My muskrat has different pull between the two otherwise identical blades.

38645599155_1de742f73d_b.jpg

I filmed an episode of an antique motorcycle web series yesterday with my buddy Dale at the Wheels Through Time Museum in Maggie Valley, NC. We took his newly acquired 1913 Harley-Davidson, which hadn't run in at least 80 years or so and got the old girl going again. We lubed up all of the joints, heated the old oil out of the cases with a hotplate underneath to drain it, put some NOS Firestone Nonskid tires, cleaned and adjusted the magneto, filled it with gas and oil and fired it up in no time. Never even touched the 105 year old carb or as much as wiped the original plugs! Had to clean some corrosion off of the points so out came my new SMKW 78 which handled the job with ease, in all one of less than 10 tools it took us to get this thing back in shape after such a long time.

BssGHQh.jpg

CrIKklW.jpg

3fnq5fs.jpg

Back