Off Topic Do you carry a back-up knife with you ?.

Vic Classic on my keys.
Leatherman Charge, McGhee O1 Barebones Piranha, and Vanadis 10 CrocoTool in my sling bag.
XHP CS Am. Lawman in glove compartment.

Other than the Vic and the Leatherman I never needed the others lol...

Hello,

I am one of those who always possess things in pairs, so when it comes to carrying knives, more often than not, I will have a spare somewhere with me.

It is not a matter of being paranoid but I am a firm believer in having a back-up to accommodate all unexpected situations.

So even though there is the main knife, there will always be the second one somewhere.

What about you?

thanks
alexsunny
Always have a Victorinox classic in the bottom of my pocket

I always have a knife either on my side or in my pocket, but I also always have a Victorinox Classic or Vic Rambler on my key-chain.
Ah, yes! I hadn't considered that in my earlier post. I, too, have the Vic Classic on my key-ring - it goes everywhere I go. :thumbsup:

I always have a Leatherman squirt and a small pocket knife like a Boker 240 pen, Buck 309 companion, Christy knife, or even a small SAK like an Executive. For my mostly suburban life, that works. If I go woods walking or fishing, my Buck 102 woodsman is always on my hip. Being retired, I fish a lot. So the Buck fixed blade in on me 4 days out of 7.

A backup knife? As in, one knife? Heh, no. I've usually got several knives with me at any given time on my person and in my day bag. LOL

It's a sickness, and the only cure is more knives! Come on, now!

No, just one normally. I'm confident that my knife can handle almost anything I throw at it. If I'm in the woods it's a fixed blade and folder

I carry one.
I was carrying up to to 3 at one point, I found that to be useless.
Any knife I'm carrying is more than capable to handle whatever job I have for it.

Not as "back up" per se, but in addition to my main knife there is always a Victorinox Classic on my key ring, and a Spyderco Cricket I use as a money clip. The "Swiss Chocolate" Classic is on my wife's keyring...
mF0wmzx.jpg

Ibz3ppv.jpg

I occasionally try to carry two knives, one "clean" knife (for the most part food duty) and one "dirty" (general utility). Sometimes I just don't like how it feels though, and not all my pants have deep enough coin pockets to accommodate the usually smaller clean knife.

In friendlier times, I would just carry a nice slipjoint or SAK. However in the current climate, I feel obliged to carry something that deploys faster, one handed, and locks. More defensive but less general utility and certainly less fun, for me. When I have limited pocket space, that takes priority.

Last edited:
It appears that I an the abnormal one here. I get by everyday with just a single knife on my person.
Nah, me too. Hold on, maybe we are both abnormal?! :oops: I guess it's we who will be shafted when the apocalypse comes, Dan! Or not. ;)

I relate to Quiet Quiet 's amusingly put point about the need to justify our knife spending. Currently doing a self-imposed '1 knife for 12 months' EDC challenge. It is really hard to justify buying new knives right now. It's very tough, but somehow, I am managing it... :D

Nah, me too. Hold on, maybe we are both abnormal?! :oops: I guess it's we who will be shafted when the apocalypse comes, Dan! Or not. ;)

I relate to Quiet Quiet 's amusingly put point about the need to justify our knife spending. Currently doing a self-imposed '1 knife for 12 months' EDC challenge. It is really hard to justify buying new knives right now. It's very tough, but somehow, I am managing it... :D
Lol my New Year's resolution was to stop buying knives for at least 6 months. Didn't last long...I'll just buy one more and then I'll stop.

mTZ2VuR.jpg

I don't characterize them as backups, but I do carry multiple blades. Each (sort of) serves a different purpose, but mostly I have the redundancy because its fun. It makes me feel good. And I have come to believe that feeling good is better than not feeling good.

My Primary EDC has been a CRKT Tiny Tighe Breaker. Never liked the looks of the handle but the fast, easy deployment and small size has found it residing in my pocket every day now for the last 3 or 4 years. I also carry a Nagao Higonokami 1.5" in my watch pocket for those times when people need a knife but freak out when you bust out a "Big" assisted opener. Lately I've taken to carrying a third smaller knife. On days when a bottle opener may come in handy I carry the Ruike S21. Otherwise a SOG Twitch II, Benchmade Mini Bugout, or Victorinox Floral knife.

I often carry two knives. One is used for tasks that may dull it, and the other is used for more delicate cutting.

Back