Off Topic Do you carry a back-up knife with you ?.

Usually carry an out-the-side and an out-the-front. Sometimes I change that up, but that’s the norm lately.

Fo8Tn2U.jpg

JTiOpn0.jpg

33Db4Aq.jpg

That's how everything goes. Seems cool at first then you reach a stage where you go...why did I do all that . More status quo than anything.
Yes and no..I mean I technically carry 3 or 4 blades with me a day but only one on my person, the rest are in my bag or in a tool box
when needed. I need them weekly for various things, but not enough to justify keeping multiple blades in my pants.
I need a duct knife on the truck at all time but I don't do duct work everyday; I also keep a wire skinning knife in my tool pouch.

If I didn't have a work truck and tool bag to carry multiple knives, like in an office, I'd probably carry something like a Small Sebenza or Delica
and pair it with either a small utility blade carrier or something in the ball park of a Spyderco ladybug.
I personally only feel the need to carry one 2.9"-3.5" blade on my person and keep the rest stashed around close by.

My work carry. As others have said, different blades for different purposes as opposed to purely back up blades.

IMG_20210308_134234_copy_902x634.jpg

1- A sturdy one hand opener for general cutting chores or heavier cutting. I want a good point and good belly on this blade. This is the area where I have the most day to day variance in what I carry.

2- A blunt tipped blade for times when accidentally stabbing someone or something is a real danger. I use a couple of different options on multitools.

3- Victorinox Explorer Plus. The small blade makes a passable scalpel for impromptu veterinary work and I think the other tools compliment a pliers based multitool very well. This one hasn't changed in years and so far I haven't seen a different model I think I should try as a replacement.

In all honesty I could probably get by with just the multitool without losing too much efficiency, but I'd think most on this forum understand why I don't. :D

No, I don't carry a backup. Today I was moving an old steel shelf unit in my old nasty basement that happened to be tied to the wall with a piece of twine. So I cut it to get it free with my Bugout, which was clipped to my pocket. In my world, I don't really challenge my knives. I could definitely see carrying a backup in a more demanding situation.

No, I don't carry a backup. Today I was moving an old steel shelf unit in my old nasty basement that happened to be tied to the wall with a piece of twine. So I cut it to get it free with my Bugout, which was clipped to my pocket. In my world, I don't really challenge my knives. I could definitely see carrying a backup in a more demanding situation.
I carry based upon what "could" happen , not what actually has happened on average . :)

My always is a case slipjoint.
My almost always is a Spyderco Street Bowie. Need a decent sheath and it'll be a constant companion.

No, I usually only carry one knife unless I know I am going to need to cut down some wood. In that case, I carry a big fixed blade along with my typical carry. I do not carry multitools.

Most people are showing knives that aren’t so much backup knives as additional knives. A true backup woul be a second identical knife.

A story that comes to mind is about a young farmer. He is a member here but I can’t remember his handle and he hasn’t posted this story in a long time. So with a full disclaimer I’ll repeat his story.

When he was old enough to start farming his grandfather took him to the hardware store in town and bought him a fixed blade knife. Same as his father and uncles had. He was told to always wear the knife while operating equipment in case he got his arm tangled up in something and had to cut it off.

The young farmer thought a minute and asked what to do if the arm closest to the knife got wrapped up and he couldn’t reach the knife?

The grandfather thought for a minute went back into the hardware store and bought the a second knife for himself the boy the father and the uncles

Last I remember he was still on the farm carting two KA-BAR in the hard plastic sheaths.

Anyone remember his name? Is he still around?

I remember this story and thought it was great and totally sound reasoning!!! Can't remember his screen name but if I saw it I'd know it! It was distinctive!!! Ill have to search a bit!!! Thanks for reminding me of this!!!
James

Right now I'm carrying a xm-18 3.5 and my small sebenza.
I'm running the same setup. XM-18 3.5" Gen4 spanto and a small CRK micarta inkosi insingo.

The insigo has now been replaced with a DP Umnumzaan!

Since I got the Shark from Alex Steingrabber it's been on my left hip non-stop. The pocket knife changes daily for the most part.

I do not carry a backup. I've thought about it and tried but it didn't work out, mostly because I never needed it and because I was limited in space to carry it. My intent was to carry an inexpensive knife as a backup so if I had to cut something that might damage the knife I would use the inexpensive backup.

I also subscribe to the 2 is 1 and 1 is none rule. Therefore, I carry 2 knives with me whenever I leave the house. I also carry 2 flashlights, but that is a different forum.
Ya buddy. The older and or busier I get, the 1 is none perspective seems to apply to my brain.
:D
I don't leave my head somewhere because it's attached to my neck. I learned the hard way to bring back ups. But we all roll in our own way.
:thumbsup:

Back