Off Topic Do you carry a back-up knife with you ?.

I keep a knife or two stashed in all the bags, tool boxes, and vehicles.
So, I've always got at least one on my person, but another not far away.
Carried to knives purposefully for a while, but eventually got tired of having the extra bulk.

That's how everything goes. Seems cool at first then you reach a stage where you go...why did I do all that . More status quo than anything.

No. I only have one pocket knife as is, and I see no need to carry multiple knives on me at this point in my life. I do have a multitool in my vehicle that has a knife on it, but I really just have it there for the other tools.

Last edited:
I don't carry a "backup" knife, but I always have two. An Alox Cadet or Electrician for minor cutting, prying, and light maintenance; and a larger main blade. Usually something like this:
IMG_0698-X4.jpg

I always(not when dressed for funerals or weddings) carry a Leatherman Wave in a belt sheath and a knife in my right front pocket. In this situation the blades on the Wave serve as a backup knife

Not so much a backup, more an assortment of blades for various tasks;)
This.
I don't need a backup. But I do typically carry several different blades for different types of cutting jobs,
I usually carry a traditional and a modern one hander.

A backup knife? As in, one knife? Heh, no. I've usually got several knives with me at any given time on my person and in my day bag. LOL
-It seems the more we aquire, the more we wanna carry...at least my experience.
It's a sickness, and the only cure is more knives! Come on, now!
-And more cowbell, no doubt too ! :D
Just one. Everyone here must have sharp object issues. I farm and hunt almost all year and only have one on me . Don't see a need for 2. If one can't do the job then why bring that one in the first place. Never been in a situation in 30 years where I need 2
-That just sounds like 'Crazy Farmer' talk, Lol
...Kidding, ofcourse.

I don't carry a "backup" knife, but I always have two. An Alox Cadet or Electrician for minor cutting, prying, and light maintenance; and a larger main blade. Usually something like this:
IMG_0698-X4.jpg
-Nice set-up :thumbsup::thumbsup:
B.T.B. :cool:

It’s really depends how to look. For example my today carry - SAK is must have, it is my main and most valuable instrument for EDC, SnG (one of five different models) is my usual modern folder for last five years, and Ultratech is a newbie that I carry to understand it. So there is no back up knives, but still it is three knives :)
FEBBmtQ.jpg

The way I see it, is
One is Fun & Done,
& Two is Too !!
Three is Glee, maybe a 'Z' or 'We'
Four is more
Five's more Knives
Six for kicks, Add some Vics, makes a good mix !!
-All joking aside, I personally like a good slicer
along with a serrated and a smaller multi. / S.A.K.
type, sometimes I'll add a 'Gent.' of sorts to the mix,
and I am partial to a smaller fixed for E.D.C.,as well.
If I'm outside, in yard or woods, etc, I tend to put on a larger fixed belt knife, with the folders of choice, and add a full sized multi-tool to the mix.
Here's to the 'Knife Life' :thumbsup:
B.T.B. :cool:

On any given day I have 3 on me. My primary a secondary and there is one in my gerber crucial. I use my neon secondary for anything food related.

Most people are showing knives that aren’t so much backup knives as additional knives. A true backup woul be a second identical knife.

A story that comes to mind is about a young farmer. He is a member here but I can’t remember his handle and he hasn’t posted this story in a long time. So with a full disclaimer I’ll repeat his story.

When he was old enough to start farming his grandfather took him to the hardware store in town and bought him a fixed blade knife. Same as his father and uncles had. He was told to always wear the knife while operating equipment in case he got his arm tangled up in something and had to cut it off.

The young farmer thought a minute and asked what to do if the arm closest to the knife got wrapped up and he couldn’t reach the knife?

The grandfather thought for a minute went back into the hardware store and bought the a second knife for himself the boy the father and the uncles

Last I remember he was still on the farm carting two KA-BAR in the hard plastic sheaths.

Anyone remember his name? Is he still around?

I sometimes carry a knife that might freak people out, so there’s always a SAK in my pocket as well. If I drink beer it’s rarely a twist off, and the other tools come in handy too.

If it's in a twist off, it ain't really beer. ;)

I never consider the SAK (Rambler mostly) as a backup knife. If the Rambler didn't have the knife blade on it, I'd pack it anyways.

I subscribe to the "2 is 1, 1 is none" way of thinking, but usually don't carry another knife. I guess I'm confident enough in the one I got on me.

Whatever my one hand folder is plus a SAK. I keep a Leatherman in my bag, but I don’t always have that.

always two theres one in the watch pocket and a larger folder in pocket....actually there's a third in my wallet for absolutely no reason

I generally carry three knives . On my own land , usually these Cold Steel :

XL Espada = folding sword / light machete , 7.5" blade

Colossus = general purpose, 4" blade

Micro Recon 1 = keychain , 1.75" blade

They all serve different purposes . But I suppose you could consider them "backup " , also . ;)

Yes, besides the two I carry everyday I have knives stashed in various places like my vehicles, lunch box, tackle box , tool box and around the house and garage. Years ago I found myself in a situation that I really needed a knife and had forgot to put my single stockman in my pocket. After that I started accumulating various types of knives and tucking them away where I’d likely need them so I wouldn’t be without one. Doing this has saved me from a lot of heartache and displeasure.

I carry multiple blades. Every day. Few traditionals plus usually a fixed blade and a modern one handed opening folder.

Last edited:
Back