Do you ever take along a knife specifically to use at table when attending a BBQ or visiting a steakhouse for a meal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s one of the reasons I carry a knife in the first place. So not a special specific knife for the purpose. I use whatever I’m carrying. Usually a Buck 110.

I’m not afraid to cut on a plate. My knife is sharp enough to cut through a steak with little pressure, and I stop when I reach the plate. Never noticed any dulling from a plate.
sharpening knives is the most fun satisfying part of the hobby for me anyways so dulling them is half the fun.

No. I tend to think the AG Russell versions would be whipped out for the "look how cool I am " factor than anything else. There's nothing wrong with that but let's call it what it is. Every steak place I've ever been in has supplied cutlery adequate to the task. Anecdotal but...
This, 100%. I have no issue with those that choose to do it, but steak is pretty easy to cut even with a fairly dull knife. I suspect most that bring their own cutlery do it for their own gratification, which is fine, but the only difficulty I've ever had was at an airport restaurant shortly post 9/11 and the knife wasn't dull, it was secured to the table which made cutting tricky.

About a year ago my son had his kids and we were at a nice sports bar and grill that served a real good loaf of rye bread with our meal. It came with a serrated bread knife and it was plenty sharp to slice the bread without smashing it. Then my granddaughter dropped it and it went under the booth . They were really busy so I didn’t want to make things difficult so I pulled out my Buck Marksman in S35vn and sliced it like a pro chef. Later our waitress came back and noticed my knife sitting next to the bread and asked if their knife was dull. Granddaughter said no just under the booth 😆 papa has lots of sharp knives 😂

You know there's some douche who has a special Rockstead just for these occasions. I mean they're probably great for steak, but c'mon son.

Anyway, steak is overrated. If it's top shelf you don't need major cutlery, and if it's shwaggy then it's not worth eating.

Took these to the OutBack the other night-
T6m43tw.jpg

The knives they provide might as well be hacksaws. They serve small loaves of hot brown honey wheat bread, and the "knives" just tear it up. The folding bread knife is just the ticket. The same for the steaks. The knives tear, they don't cut. They are serrated but not the least bit sharp. I find the Solsona is a huge improvement.
As for the restaurant staff, well, its always surprising to see how many people are actually interested in knives......

Do you ever take along a knife (in addition to your EDC/EDCs of course) specifically to use at table when attending a BBQ or visiting a steakhouse for a meal?

If you do, what do you bring a long for the task? I've long taken a long an Opinel #12, and much more recently a Mam Operario.

The reason I ask is because I just realized that A.G. Russell offers folding knives targeted at people who take a knife along to use at table when they go out to eat. For those of us who appreciate our steaks cleanly cut and not shredded by dull knives routinely run through dishwashers.
Sometimes I'll wash off something that I have on me. I do have a stainless 12, but around here panties would be soiled if I pulled that out. I've thought and forgotten about the little "Gardening" drop point in stainless. it's about the size of an 8 or 9.

I don’t unless I have to. It’s uncouth and can damage the edge requiring significant work to fix. It‘s a turn-off for some people as well.
It's certainly not "uncouth" -- depending on the type of knife used of course. It's a matter of quality and utility.

Took these to the OutBack the other night-
T6m43tw.jpg

The knives they provide might as well be hacksaws. They serve small loaves of hot brown honey wheat bread, and the "knives" just tear it up. The folding bread knife is just the ticket. The same for the steaks. The knives tear, they don't cut. They are serrated but not the least bit sharp. I find the Solsona is a huge improvement.
As for the restaurant staff, well, its always surprising to see how many people are actually interested in knives......
Cool. What brand is the bread knife folder?

Though a steakhouse restaurant is not the example necessarily applicable to my comment, if I know I'm going someplace where I have the likelihood of cutting/slicing food I will alter my EDC folder for that day - typically going with a RAT-1 or similar full flat grind knife. Otherwise I very well may have a Scandi or other type of shouldered grind blade with a thicker edge geometry and, often, partially serrated as that's my ordinary style for EDC pocket carry.

While I'm not going to whip out a Becker BK-9 at a diner to butter my toast, I couldn't care less what others may think about my using a Rat-1 or Large Voyager on food.

It's certainly not "uncouth" -- depending on the type of knife used of course. It's a matter of quality and utility.
Uncouth - lacking good manners, refinement, or grace.

I suppose you bring your own fork and spoon.

Maybe you just want to show off your expensive pocket jewelry…uncouth…unless you are eating with knife collectors, who may be aghast at the damage you do to your custom blade :)

Uncouth - lacking good manners, refinement, or grace.

I suppose you bring your own fork and spoon.

Maybe you just want to show off your expensive pocket jewelry…uncouth…unless you are eating with knife collectors, who may be aghast at the damage you do to your custom blade :)
You're projecting...

Nothing ostentatious about my knife and fork. Nothing "uncouth" about using either one. It's all about utility. I prefer my steak to be cut rather than torn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back