Does anyone prefer cellidor over alox?

I literally can't warm up to alox. When I first pick it up, the coldness in my hand makes me want to put it down. It's like having diamond plate instead of a hardwood floor. I find the curves and warm feel of cellidor scales much nicer to the touch. Not to mention I like having tweezers, toothpick, and now a pin, too.

I know alox knives are stronger, fancier looking, and all that, but my only one will be the Farmer.

For me it depends on the SAK. For example, I like the Cadet as slim as possible, so that's Alox -- but my Cybertool S is a substantial portable tool kit, so having the extra tools housed in the scales makes Cellidor perfect for that model.

I'm buying what I like, as it comes. The Red scales with T&T are full of character.

& like others have said, sometimes like with the Cadet, Farmer & Money clip, it's just the Alox, & they're all very pretty, nice & useful.

Buy all, rotate.

You can always get custom work done on your knives.

The no tweezers and no toothpick make it a no go.
I agree. I have a Pioneer X and multiple Pioneers, but I don’t tend to carry them because I find myself missing the tweezers, toothpick, small blade, etc. I have nothing against the alox scales themselves, but there are simply more tool options in the cellidor line.

That being said, I really like the awl on the alox models. It’s far superior to the cellidor awl for reaming and drilling.

I still prefer cellidor over Alox in general. Coming up on 40 years of SAK use.

But the Alox models have been creeping up in value and utility to me. Lately, the 84mm Alox has been of interest for both use and mods. Not nearly enough to replace cellidor models. I appreciate their compact form vs. the 93mm and 91mm knives and even the 84mm cellidor relatives. Right-sized for many tasks over smaller 74mm and 58mm Alox.

Now if only Victorinox would take my suggestions about updating the 74mm/Swisscard scissors to the 84mm frame w/ a 0/1 Phillips on the other end.

Aye.
1) I've never had issues with Cellidor.
2) I actually use the multipurpose corkscrew for other than pulling corks from bottles.
3) I like the tweezers, toothpick, and on the Signature and Mini Champ the retracting ballpoint pen side tools.
4) The ALOX models all have a premium attached to the price.
5) My favorite models: Huntsman, Recruit, Evolution, Evo Grip, and the 111mm offerings are not available (in the U.S.A., at any rate) in Alox.

The tools on some alox models are a little beefier than the equivalent length cellidor models.

Edit to add, the 93mm alox, compared to the 91mm cellidor.

I can't do cellidor. I don't like it at all. I hate how it looks and feels. My one Cellidor model, Swiss Champ, had them replaced with copper ones. All my other SAKs are nylon-scaled or Alox. I wish Vic made 111mm in Alox. I think the Vic tweezers are junk so Alox lacking them and the toothpick is a non-issue for me.

I prefer nylon, but I wish it came in more colors and that it would be easier to get replacement scales. I also wish that nylon scales came with a pin slot.

I can do without the gross toothpick, but the slot is nice for holding a firefly instead.

If you really need tweezers with your alox SAK then you do have some decent options. There's always Uncle Bill's Sliver Grippers. You could also put a Classic SD, Jetsetter, or Rambler/Manager on your key chain. There are some other tools that come with tweezers too, like the Leatherman Style PS.

I love both the alox models and the models that come uquipped with cellidor. But the cellidor scales themselves are not a favorite. I usually end up replacing them with either Victorinox nylon scales or aftermarket Micarta scales

ob3PkvTh.jpg

Z2CBbhIh.jpg

E5fZfyVh.jpg

Back