Does anyone prefer cellidor over alox?

Sorry, I don’t know about the wood scales. I’d leave them til later anyway. So you’re sticking to 91mm?
Well, since I have the 91mm Hiker alredy, and I really like the setup with the philips and saw, I think it´s the easiest way to go. And, the Alox 92mm awl have the right thicknes for that frame so it should fit without any filing or extra washers. I do think the 84mm is a better pocket size to carry all the time, so maybe I will try to make one some day if I can find good donor parts.
*My favourite wood is Oak, and I have done a feew knives where I have "smoked" it with ammonia, makes for a solid dark wood.
Now I did it on my Hiker Wood (walnut wood is suppose to have the same tanins in the wood as oak) with good result. I just put some industrial ammonia on a paper napkin and folded it down to 3x3cm and put it in a 2l zip loc bag with the knife next to it for a few houors. I will post a pic in the mod thread :)

They're both, kind of.. I swapped 85mm Evo wood scales with plastic.

Snap on but not even close to Cellidors, & I believe they were glued on, I re-glued them on different Evo & they're perfect, a tighter fit than the factory's really.

1 wooden scale was slightly damaged, but no wood fell off, I was very careful.
Thank you for the input. Did you pre heat it or something before trying to pry them off?

When I made my first mod it was from an Alox, mostly due to the tools being a little bit heavier. I especially find the awl to be a go-to tool instead of a pen-blade. But I don’t like the feeling of the aluminium in hand, and I almost feel that the hollow plastic are too light… My favourite at this time is the Hiker in wood. I am thinking of making a mod of that model with a SD scissor on the backside instead of the sewing awl, and replace the pen blade with a awl from an Alox. Then I just need to find a shrinking machine and make it 84mm instead 🤪
I feel you. As tough and functional aluminum is - it is quite cold.. literally and figuratively. I don’t like the feel and the idea of the ”flakey” coat and material. Some kind of paranoia from aluminum pans and studies of alzhaimer associated to aluminum? 😄 It is the perfect material for keyring tool though but doesn’t wear very elegantly.

In other hand the plastic handles feel.. plastic. It makes the otherwise great tool feel cheap. As much as I love the good ol red SAK they just don’t have that heirloom vibe to them.

Maybe I need that custom SAK after all.. me, custom hater. 😂

I feel you. As tough and functional aluminum is - it is quite cold.. literally and figuratively. I don’t like the feel and the idea of the ”flakey” coat and material. Some kind of paranoia from aluminum pans and studies of alzhaimer associated to aluminum? 😄 It is the perfect material for keyring tool though but doesn’t wear very elegantly.

In other hand the plastic handles feel.. plastic. It makes the otherwise great tool feel cheap. As much as I love the good ol red SAK they just don’t have that heirloom vibe to them.

Maybe I need that custom SAK after all.. me, custom hater. 😂
Look at it as a premium improvment, not a mod ;)

I think my preferences are shifting, I'm just carrying the Alox models more than others.

They just feel sturdier & look much better in my opinion, & the awl is wicked.

Also, I think it's got to do with how easily cellidor scratches, & the fact that I always have my Swiss Card on me, so T&T are always within reach.

It looks something like this for me now:

Alox models 93 then 84..
85 mm Delemont
84 mm (I like these a lot).
91 mm
74 & 65 mms (always as backups)

I'm not carrying any 58s these days..

I have one cellidor model (the recruit)
On nylon model (my florist)
And 4 alox

I prefer alox but the nylon is pretty nice. I have no problems with it

I prefer cellidor for several reasons
One because it is lighter and easier on the pocket
I do not really like the feel of the alox scales, they feel bumpy but still slippery at the same time. It is kind of hard to describe, but I do not like the feel
I do like the addition tools offered in the cellidor as well, but the main selling point for me is the blade stock on the cellidor is thinner so the blades seem slicey to me.
That being said, I do own a Farmer in alox that is still an outstanding knife, but I prefer the cellidor in any color other than the Victorinox red 😏

I like 'em all, possibly with a slight preference towards cellidor 91mm models (same as the poster above, I like the thinner blades - and I also find the spring tension on alox 93mm unnecessary strong and a bit off-putting). I also like white-ish scales myself, especially this time of year

zeKskCL.jpg

Back