Does anyone prefer cellidor over alox?

I literally can't warm up to alox. When I first pick it up, the coldness in my hand makes me want to put it down. It's like having diamond plate instead of a hardwood floor. I find the curves and warm feel of cellidor scales much nicer to the touch. Not to mention I like having tweezers, toothpick, and now a pin, too.

I know alox knives are stronger, fancier looking, and all that, but my only one will be the Farmer.
I actually like both, but in general I'm not a fan on aluminium or titanium or metal - handles / scales. I find despite texture or chequering its eiither wet cold slippery or clammy and slippery.

I like both. I usually have my Executive in black cellidor paired with another SAK, either a Pioneer or a Spartan, in another pocket. Sometimes I prefer the Spartan over the Pioneer, mainly because of the mini eyeglass screwdriver held in the corkscrew. But if I choose the Pioneer, I still have the Executive for the toothpick and tweezers.

Jim

I evolved into hating cellidor after having too many bad experiences with it.

The 'old' cellidor was good stuff. a solid slab of pretty durable material. But it had problems with some mosquito repellents and gun cleaning solvents melting your fingerprints into it. But some years ago when they went to the hollow cavity cellidor with a few ribs underneath it was too much. Trying to save a few pennies of material all they did was make a fragile cover. Both myself and my son-in-law has a tinker and a hiker fall off a counter and a large piece on the back side scale break off in the the exact same spot. I no longer own or will buy any SAK that is not alox. Wenger SI/Vic pioneer, cadet, bantam, and classic and excelsior, all cover my needs. I don't need tweezers for splinter, thats what the safety pin in my wallet is for, or the end of the small pliers of my squirt. If I need a toothpick, I'll whittle one and discard after use.

I love the bomb proof alox.

J jackknife
Trying to save a few pennies of material x 45000 knives x working days a year = (Good Business - Tiny Loss of (Replacement Policy + Reputation) )
Hope the brackets are in the right place.

First of all Cellidor is ABS plastic not Nylon. I carry a Recruit daily and for a while thought I wanted it in Alox but over time I have really come to appreciate the thicker Cellidor for the ease of gripping with my arthritic hands. I do have the single blade in Alox but never carry it because it's just too thin and I can't grip it solidly. Never use the toothpick, tweezer maybe twice.

By the numbers in my small SAK collection.. I prefer Cellidor. 2 Alox, 1 Nylon and the rest cellidor.

I hear you and share the same opinion.

I have 3 alox's but dont carry them anymore.

(just my opinion/preference) Lately I find the plastic handle SAKs give you more value for money as far as tools go.
I carry a leatherman and a folding knife as well so the slightly bigger tools of the alox dont make a big difference to me

I've never owned an Alox model. I've had a few in the cart many a time but never pulled the trigger for some reason. I can hear my wife going, "cough...cuz you're cheap.. cough"

I do use the toothpick (not for picking my teeth..) and tweezers.

I do like the look of the Alox models tho.

I prefer cellidor and have never warmed up to the feeling of alox. I know that the alox models are going to be more durable but I haven’t broken a cellidor model yet so increased durability isn’t necessary for me.
Took me 32 years to crack a scale on my original knife From ’84. Thank the baggage handlers for that. Used some CA glue to reattach the piece.

Guess I'm a floozy, I like both. Cellidor because its red (yay MacGuyver) and more tools, alox because its a tank and has the awl of awesome , plus no backside tools is comfy in hand for repetitive use at work.
Be a boring place if we were all the same , and its great to have choices. Also, nylon scales are a thing if you like the cellidor but wish it had worked out more and got tougher :)

Cellidor is my preference.

The toothpick is probably the tool I use the most on my swiss army knives, I know some people think it's unhygienic but I use it every day.
Funny enough I mentioned this to my dentist about 10 years ago (scout leader), he thought the toothpick in the SAK contained less harmful bacteria than the average toothbrush....

Edit - 10 Weeks ago - last checkup - (he is a Scout Leader)

You pays your money...

Last edited:
Alox: great for my work. Awl, easily cleaned, indestructible.

Cellidor: ideal for around home & about. Lightweight, small blade. But I don't like the modern scales as the ends don't take kindly to falling onto hard surfaces from even a modest height. Or even being sat on! Nylon scales are far more durable. I don't care about T&T as I always have a 58mm with them close at hand. Speaking of 58mm knives, I've never had a cellidor scale break, only had one fall off & be lost.

I much prefer wooden scales over cellidor & even nylon. A Spartan Hardwood has been a favourite weekend carry lately.

Alox: great for my work. Awl, easily cleaned, indestructible.

Cellidor: ideal for around home & about. Lightweight, small blade. But I don't like the modern scales as the ends don't take kindly to falling onto hard surfaces from even a modest height. Or even being sat on! Nylon scales are far more durable. I don't care about T&T as I always have a 58mm with them close at hand. Speaking of 58mm knives, I've never had a cellidor scale break, only had one fall off & be lost.

I much prefer wooden scales over cellidor & even nylon. A Spartan Hardwood has been a favourite weekend carry lately.

Maybe I did something wrong but I've broken the tip of my silver alox pioneer
I've never broken the tip of a cellidor SAK

The Alox Awl tip is sharper then the cellidor one, but the cellidor one has more steel on the tip and won't break as easy

utyOnoo.jpg

Alox Pioneer vs Tinker deluxe

Maybe I did something wrong but I've broken the tip of my silver alox pioneer
I've never broken the tip of a cellidor SAK

The Alox Awl tip is sharper then the cellidor one, but the cellidor one has more steel on the tip and won't break as easy

utyOnoo.jpg

Alox Pioneer vs Tinker deluxe
I meant I like alox for the awl; that the knife can be cleaned easily; & that the knife itself is (more or less) indestructible.

You can sharpen your broken awl point with a file or whetstone.

Back