Does anyone prefer cellidor over alox?

I meant I like alox for the awl; that the knife can be cleaned easily; & that the knife itself is (more or less) indestructible.

You can sharpen your broken awl point with a file or whetstone.

Ah sorry. I misunderstood

I used my landsky stones to resharpen tip
Its a bit fatter now but works

On the other side of the coin thats also why I pref the cellidor saks over alox

I use the awl a lot at work and the cellidor one is stronger

Alox: great for my work. Awl, easily cleaned, indestructible.

Cellidor: ideal for around home & about. Lightweight, small blade. But I don't like the modern scales as the ends don't take kindly to falling onto hard surfaces from even a modest height. Or even being sat on! Nylon scales are far more durable. I don't care about T&T as I always have a 58mm with them close at hand. Speaking of 58mm knives, I've never had a cellidor scale break, only had one fall off & be lost.

I much prefer wooden scales over cellidor & even nylon. A Spartan Hardwood has been a favourite weekend carry lately.

I have my own theory, nothing to back it up though. I've never had a 58mm break and I think its just because of an issue of mass. The classic falling on a hard floor simply does not have the impact of say a two or three layer 91mm SAK hitting the floor. Both cases of the cellidor breaking was a tinker and a hiker. The tinker fell out of a pocket while pulling up my pants in the bathroom. Fall of maybe knee high? The hiker was my son-in-law's, and it was bumped off a kitchen counter and feel on the tile floor. Both had the off side scale break off down to the under side rib in the hollow celidor scale.

No more cellidor for us. John now carried a Leatherman and I stick with alox.

I am torn both ways. I love the Tinker, it is classic and iconic. I haven't had any problems with cellidor however the Alox Cadet is fast becoming my favorite SAK. I saw on another site a guy that did a 30 day challenge with a Huntsman. He put it through a torture test even using a hammer on it and the cellidor scales were fine so I guess YMMV but cellidor is tough enough for most day to day things. If I had to pick just one it is probably Alox but it is super close.

I prefer Cellidor, as my favorite-looking SAKs come in it, and I like my tool-holes. I might try an Alox sometime, though. I don't know what or why. Probably buy one for my mom. She likes those and the Spyderco Bug... best heat-treated 3cr you can find...

I digress, though. I like to carry these, the white with simple graphic is my favorite. I would FW some nylon if I could get the Ecoline and needed a beater SAK.

I prefer Cellidor, as my favorite-looking SAKs come in it, and I like my tool-holes. I might try an Alox sometime, though. I don't know what or why. Probably buy one for my mom. She likes those and the Spyderco Bug... best heat-treated 3cr you can find...

I digress, though. I like to carry these, the white with simple graphic is my favorite. I would FW some nylon if I could get the Ecoline and needed a beater SAK.

I’ve never seen these before. They’re beautiful. 😍

Had a small, small crack in my Super Tinker from waist-height fall. It's all good, though.

SAKs smaller than 84mm are less prone to crack.

My wife had a classic that the celidor broke on, and my old tinker’s celidor covers are a bit loose and rattling. All other celidor covers are tight and unbroken.

But my ‘07 Soldier gets carried more than any other full-size SAK. An Executive is the most consistently carried knife I have on the daily.

I guess I like both.

When I made my first mod it was from an Alox, mostly due to the tools being a little bit heavier. I especially find the awl to be a go-to tool instead of a pen-blade. But I don’t like the feeling of the aluminium in hand, and I almost feel that the hollow plastic are too light… My favourite at this time is the Hiker in wood. I am thinking of making a mod of that model with a SD scissor on the backside instead of the sewing awl, and replace the pen blade with a awl from an Alox. Then I just need to find a shrinking machine and make it 84mm instead 🤪

Easy enough. 91mm or 84mm…cellidor or alox/84mm. Just need the donor parts.
Yes, I have the scissors, but no awl, yet…
Do you know if the wood scales are snap-on like the plastic, or are they glued on? I have not tried to pry on them yet, I don’t want to make any damage to it before it’s time to make the mod.

Do you know if the wood scales are snap-on like the plastic, or are they glued on? I have not tried to pry on them yet, I don’t want to make any damage to it before it’s time to make the mod.
They're both, kind of.. I swapped 85mm Evo wood scales with plastic.

Snap on but not even close to Cellidors, & I believe they were glued on, I re-glued them on different Evo & they're perfect, a tighter fit than the factory's really.

1 wooden scale was slightly damaged, but no wood fell off, I was very careful.

Back