Edc hard use knives used hard

2geRoa9

No offense to the office guys with soft hands, this thread is for working knives and men with hard hands who use knives as tools.​
They may not have a room full of benchmade Kershaw zt lion steel but they have one in there pocket and it works for them.

I've found over the years good steel and a girthy blade works for me. Spyderco in my hands tends to lose the tip fairly fast. I no longer by thin blades tipped knives
S30-s90v steel works well for deburring pipe cutting cans for shims and clearing grease zeros of dirt and rocks.

I tend to have one decent knife at a time currently that's a zt it replaced a carbon fiber 940 that 940 I loved for the s90v it would hold and edge deburring pipe for welding fit up.
Other knifes in the past have been griptilians para military skyline and I'm sure many more I cant think of.

My favorite though was the s90v 940 I didnt really care for the carbon fiber or even the slim shape but man that steel is a beast. That knife sadly disappeared as I crawled around under a dozer.

Though it made me sick I got over it and bought the zt0350 wich fits my hand better actually I love the heft and shape. But s30 doesnt seem to hold and edge quite aswell. That could just be me though. So far I'm getting along just fine with it.

Though I've never made a habbit of having more than one decent knife at a time this knife has helped show me what I like, I've looked alittle into lion steel and other bigger hard use type knives with possibly longer edge retention.

So let's here it hard use used knifes you guys are getting along well with.

Ahhh I created this thread with the attention to ad a few photos and it wont ker me. I'll come back and edit with the desktop version

Well I guess I wont be adding any photos

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum, EvanR03!
I am afraid that at 6'4" and 330 pounds I am not exactly the runt of the litter and the only thing big and girthy is my waistline ... seriously now, I have a Schrade LeRoy full tang bowie looking knife that gets used when I am reliving those thrilling days of yesteryear in my early working career at a logging camp. Now just cutting down dead trees on the property rather than industrial logging. I use it for stripping small branches off from major limbs to be cut to size to fit the fireplace. There is enough weight and without the long handle of an axe it is more easily controlled by us feeble old men.

imho (and no offence intended), but if you're using a folder for hard use, you're doing it wrong ; )
... a fixed blade is the tool you want

here is mine (tough 14c28n steel, 4 & 1/3" blade, and is priced very low so you won't mind losing it or using it hard)

timthumb.php

When I was young I worked construction, heating and airconditioning, remodeling, and we also had a small ranch. I had a couple of Buck 110's, one the old 440C (steel hard as a rock) and another in 425M. I put those knives through the ringer. I cut down small saplings, cut into steel ducts, opened tin cans of food for lunch, cut rope, cleaned hooves, fixed fences, used them as small hammers, and all sort of things I should not have done (careful with the tips) and those knives are still with me all these years later.

I also had a Buck 103 skinner that I modded the blade on to get rid of the hump. I built shelters out hunting, cleaned animals, cut through thigh bones on them, carried it all the while I was in the army, beat the living daylights out of that thing, and it kept working. Yes, I had to sharpen out some minor chipping on the edge, but I really tortured that knife.

I cannot say how well the modern 420HC blades will hold up.

I have a couple of Benchmades that I upgraded to years ago and the steel was so soft that small metal bits hit while cutting severely damaged the blades. You do not always get what you pay for. But, to know the worth of a knife is to really, really use it.

I use my knives every day at work. Stripping cable, opening boxes, cutting tape etc. I won't use them to ream my conduit though, because a knife is the wrong tool for the job. I have a reamer for 1/2 to 1 inch emt, and files for rigid or bigger than 1 inch emt. Some people use their channellocks, but imo a file is best. And use a hammer instead of your linemans...

Glad they work for you, but a knife is meant to cut imo, not deburr pipe!

I just wanna say that you can use a knife with rough calloused working man's hands without using it for anything other than cutting stuff.
My uncle is a self employed plumber of the last 20 years or so and he prefers 2.5" multi blade slipjoints , I guess he's just one of those right tool for the job kind of people like me.

I won't abuse my knives in this way, but I'm not knocking you for it because it's your knife and this is a fairly common practice.

My dad has carried a Buck 110 exclusively for nearly 50 years. Some of the things he does with his knife would us into fits.

I usually prefer a ZT 350 for a work knife. I've been carrying a ZT303 as my edc work knife for a month or two, and i think i prefer it to just about anything else. I used it to open some boxes, cut flexible hose, lightly pry off a plastic cap on an ultraviolet unit yesterday.

This was a knife, a Kershaw Black Horse 2, that belonged to my Dad, it was a warranty replacement for a Kershaw Black Gulch I bought for him that died on him one day. He should have been a tester really as he had no respect for names or reputations, in any field . It's Father's Day over here in the UK today so I'm glad to have had the chance to look at this knife again and remember him.
vmDKVSv.jpg

PsHGojp.jpg

The notch is from the day he decided to rescue the pond pump from the root ball of an overgrown pond lily..... every time I look at it I give thanks to the man who invented the circuit breaker.

take your pick, Thomas Edison for the concept, or Hugo Stotz for the modern incarnation : )

"An early form of circuit breaker was described by Thomas Edison in an 1879 patent application, although his commercial power distribution system used fuses. Its purpose was to protect lighting circuit wiring from accidental short circuits and overloads. A modern miniature circuit breaker similar to the ones now in use was patented by Brown, Boveri & Cie in 1924. Hugo Stotz, an engineer who had sold his company to BBC, was credited as the inventor on DRP (Deutsches Reichspatent) 458392. Stotz's invention was the forerunner of the modern thermal-magnetic breaker commonly used in household load centers to this day."

https://imgur.com/gallery/cbSOYCf
S30v performs well,and when you use a knife hard the edge will either dull or get damaged, so I prefer to have a less premium steel that is easier to sharpen on my real users

With regard to users i like 154cm, s30v, 14c27 and s35vn to be excellent steels

Honorable mention to M4 and the 4116 used by cold steel. This last one is really not a good steel for edge retention but you can beat on it as it sharpens very easily

I prefer to have s110v, m390, 20cv... on my edc where is use is softer

This was a knife, a Kershaw Black Horse 2, that belonged to my Dad, it was a warranty replacement for a Kershaw Black Gulch I bought for him that died on him one day. He should have been a tester really as he had no respect for names or reputations, in any field . It's Father's Day over here in the UK today so I'm glad to have had the chance to look at this knife again and remember him.
vmDKVSv.jpg

PsHGojp.jpg

The notch is from the day he decided to rescue the pond pump from the root ball of an overgrown pond lily..... every time I look at it I give thanks to the man who invented the circuit breaker.

Excellent!! Thanks for posting this Tim!
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back