EDC XIII Which knife or knives are you carrying today?

What would your kitty do with this one, dc50 dc50 ?

95tvR0T.jpg
OMG!! :eek::p

The bareknuckle is the direction i hope Kershaw is heading towards with more ball bearing pivots instead of assisted openers. a full size knife made in the good ol USA and its affordable imo with a good action and a larger and useful blade shape. the aluminum handle has a finish thats not slippery and similar to a BM 940 feeling. My only gripe is the width of the subframe lock and that the handle is not very wide at that point so you have to be very mindful of not putting finger pressure on the lockbar when deploying. I swapped out the stock short deep carry clip for a longer one (HOB style complimentary from Kershaw) and that gave more purchase area for the fingers when deploying and helps to keep them off the lockbar. While sandvik is ok Im hoping for an upgraded steel version to come out but i would recommend getting one as its a good knife and carries nice being thin and not heavy.
Great! Thanks so much for the response. I'll definitely be looking to add one as a user soon.

I've been looking at a Chaparral. How do you like it? Do you use it for any hard work and how does it hold up?
Well, since you opened that door, I can't say enough good stuff about this knife. I originally bought it to use for more dressy social occasions, but I'm not one to get all gussied up unless I am going to a wedding or a funeral. But I like it so much, I carry it way more than I intended to. I frequently carry it to work and use it to strip the jacket from network cable, some of it has had braided steel shielding which has rolled or badly dulled some of my other blades. But this thing has not needed anything beyond a few strokes on a strop - still shaves arm hair aggressively just as it did when new. I'm not sure what hard work is to you, but I would say that this knife holds up very well under reasonable work stresses. The thin blade is great for slicing most anything but I don't think I'd use to to pry open a paint can or anything that puts significant side load on the blade for fear of bending or breaking it.
The blade is nice but the handle is superb. And not just in looks. I don't have big mitts, but this is a surprisingly small knife. Every contour of it fits my hand and it falls into place perfectly every time. The jimping on the choil and spine allow for a secure full hand grip with loads of control over the blade. I liked the look of the Raffir Noble, but I had heard it was a bit hit or miss. I think I got a decent one. One thing about this material is that the wire mesh embedded in the acrylic will extend through the surface and you can feel it. I smoothed this out by rubbing the few spots I found with my thumb until the wire broke off. It holds up well to scratches. Sometimes I can't decide if I like the blade best or the scales.

Well, since you opened that door, I can't say enough good stuff about this knife. I originally bought it to use for more dressy social occasions, but I'm not one to get all gussied up unless I am going to a wedding or a funeral. But I like it so much, I carry it way more than I intended to. I frequently carry it to work and use it to strip the jacket from network cable, some of it has had braided steel shielding which has rolled or badly dulled some of my other blades. But this thing has not needed anything beyond a few strokes on a strop - still shaves arm hair aggressively just as it did when new. I'm not sure what hard work is to you, but I would say that this knife holds up very well under reasonable work stresses. The thin blade is great for slicing most anything but I don't think I'd use to to pry open a paint can or anything that puts significant side load on the blade for fear of bending or breaking it.
The blade is nice but the handle is superb. And not just in looks. I don't have big mitts, but this is a surprisingly small knife. Every contour of it fits my hand and it falls into place perfectly every time. The jimping on the choil and spine allow for a secure full hand grip with loads of control over the blade. I liked the look of the Raffir Noble, but I had heard it was a bit hit or miss. I think I got a decent one. One thing about this material is that the wire mesh embedded in the acrylic will extend through the surface and you can feel it. I smoothed this out by rubbing the few spots I found with my thumb until the wire broke off. It holds up well to scratches. Sometimes I can't decide if I like the blade best or the scales.
Thank you for the very detailed response. That really sounds like the type of knife I have been looking for. One more question though. Does it ever seem like not enough blade or has it seemed lacking for any tasks? I'm sure it is plenty for most daily needs I just tend to over think every single purchase I make in life. I'm thinking of getting the FRN version so the handle material won't be much of an issue.

Back