EDChef Pass Around Thread

Pass around should be:

• EDChef

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Prevail

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Barax

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Something different/new (and please explain in a post, thanks!)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Naw, too many other knives use "wharn" as a play on words in their model names. I won't likely ever with any of my designs. If you decide you want to on this one, well it is your design...

Tracking to next tester states....."delivered in or at the mailbox at 1:04 pm on December 1"

Thank you for the opportunity to test this interesting blade.
I have never used this steel before, so this was nice.
I only got to play with it for a week, due to family issues that took me out of town, but
I was surprised to see how resistant to stain, and patina it was. I wasn't expecting that. maybe similar to A2?
I kept it oiled with mineral oil, but i washed it a lot in hot water, and I don't think I left any stains on it?
O1 and 8670 would have been crazy Blotchy by then.....haha. :)

I will keep my thoughts private until everyone gets a chance to play with it.
But, I'll talk to David some day, about My order for one with a little "Tweak".

Thanks again.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's reviews, and more pics.

It did indeed arrive safely, I haven't been online in a couple of days. I did however inform David directly and commenced to immediately put it to work in the kitchen. 1638546486752333098589.jpg

Onion, a few potatoes, a couple of lamb chops and broken down some cardboard this far...

It did indeed arrive safely, I haven't been online in a couple of days. I did however inform David directly and commenced to immediately put it to work in the kitchen. View attachment 1694258

Onion, a few potatoes, a couple of lamb chops and broken down some cardboard this far...
šŸ„²šŸ„²šŸ„² haha I already Miss it.

1638917085832854512797.jpg

After asking David if it was ok, I sent the pass around EDChef home with may parents for a few days, mom likes the way it cuts (no surprise there) but felt that the extended handle hindered her use in the kitchen a bit. I just used it to break down some thighs for honey garlic chicken... It's going to be in my day bag in the role of my other EDChef for the remainder of my time with it.

16389172035741289378951.jpg

Here's the side by side with my other 2 (my misplaced one in 15n20 finally turned up).

16391425612201255468448.jpg
Image of the 4 EDChefs that are in my family's accumulations, with the pass around on top.
The bottom 2 are 15n20 and paper micarta,
3rd from bottom is aebl and g10
4th from bottom is 1084 and black canvas with white liners.

Edited to remove duplicate picture and information...

Last edited:
Here's a pic of some knives similarish in design to the EDChef. The Prevail at the top, the Arcflex in the middle, and the most recently completed variant of the EDChef Mark I. Notice an evolution of the handle design, which creeps a bit closer to the Mark II, without sacrificing cutting edge. Also note this one was hand made, and due to the shape of the steel, and other designs that had to be cut from it, so it has a slightly different blade to handle angle than the standard Mark I, though it still has cutting board clearance in pinch grip. It also has a weetle beet more belly.

img_3989-jpg.1698888

View attachment 1698985
Image of the 4 EDChefs that are in my family's accumulations, with the pass around on top.

If That doesn't scream expert on the subject, idk what does? haha

View attachment 1698985

How do you like the passaround one with the handles that come down to the blade?

How do you like the passaround one with the handles that come down to the blade?

I don't mind it, but I definitely prefer to have that omitted on my personal ones. The additional handle slightly interferes with using the knife in a pinch grip. For a general utility knife with less emphasis on kitchen duty it would be fine. It still works great for double duty, but the mark 1 handle style leaves more room for better performance in the kitchen. Another thing for me is the ability to sharpen full length without developing a recurve.

I'm a lazy forumite, but since I mailed the EDChef to it's next destination today, it seemed time for a post.

Firstly, some photos:
Carrot Tip
cFvMvxtl.jpg

In hand (my hands are small to small medium glove size) reference - hammer grip and pinch grip:
F2dKbXal.jpg

sk88WLxl.jpg

nRgtBqVl.jpg

With thinner, liner type synthetic gloves:
k1kTPU8l.jpg

KC9GNKul.jpg

N2dWiUOl.jpg

Original EDChef:
DDjKXCcl.jpg

DxU0LB3l.jpg

The color of carnage - purple carrots:
ZeX0eozl.jpg

I don't think I will spoil the experience for others by sharing my opinions? anyway...the new EDChef iteration is different enough from the couple of old school pieces I have that both versions could be distinct models, yet knives that share a common lineage.

David alluded to the pass-around being different than his original version, that one was not the other. While the blade shape/length were changed somewhat in the new, the handle being longer and taller was significant to me and true to his words.

Now, the scales completely overlay the tang and cover most of the ricosso. This creates a more full guard, as opposed to the naked heal of the OG versions.

For non-kitchen use, this handle changes were key in making the knife more stable and comfortable. Stability was increased by handle height being greater than the handle width, which makes for a less round handle. At least in my hand, the new handle did not easily swivel in a hammer grip and was even still serviceable with thin glove liners. Comfort came from more to hold onto length wise as well as handle material overlaying the ricosso, creating less pressure when thrusting or using the tip for a period of time.

The tall blade was useful in a pinch grip, while on a kitchen cutting board or otherwise. The new handle has more handle material to possibly effect a smooth pinch, but was not too intrusive or uncomfortable when working over various vegetables, or quartering a chicken. However, the old version shows it's kitchen prowess when used in a pinch grip. When the handle is needed less for grasping tightly and more as a balance to the blade, the OG versions are quite fast in hand and chop nicely in the pinch grip.

But, I took one of the OGs out of the kitchen to break down some large card board boxes from a couch that I bought online. While the thin blade stock and lean grind had no trouble cutting thick cardboard, the blade height during cuts into long rigid cardboard would get pinched/grabbed by the stiff material. The pinching combined with round handle would evidence some twisting in hand.

Again, the handle from David's latest refinement, creates a knife capable of a wider range of tasks, at least for me. Still works in the kitchen, but I'd say shines out of the kitchen, as pure kitchen knives might have an "edge" in cutting/processing large amounts of food ingredients. The greater handle stability is appreciated, as it's not always warm in my part of the world, and bigger handles help with cold digits or when using gloves.

Couple of nit-pickings: small portion of the edge in front of the plunge line was ever so slightly sucked up during grinding so the edge felt weird in that spot. Slight, small, but noticeable gap between handle and tang. Area is visible near the guard, where the handle and ricosso meet.

I did not cut anything outrageous - vegetables/meat, cardboard, fabric, tape and packages, mail, carved fuzz sticks for backyard fire, cut a patch out of an old hat.

I am grateful to have played around with the pass around. I would likely buy one, seeing it being useful in the field. Would be a good tool for travel as it's fairly discreet in plane check in bag, would road trip well, and has enough size to manage various domestic or adventure related activities.

Thanks for reading, and to David thanks for donating your knife and time!

I don't know how I missed this previously, but my impressions are pretty much verbatim. I give the nod to my original EDChef in 15n20 for pure slicing performance, simply because of the thinner stock. That being said, it's not like the 1084 version is exactly thick (especially when compared to the sharpened pry bars that have dominated the market in recent memory).

My plan is to get the pass around forwarded to the next recipient on the morrow.

It's been a great couple of weeks with a new daily driver, but, since I'm one of those guys who likes to stick with what's familiar I'm also glad to go back to my original...

The additional swag was courtesy of the previous participants... Unfortunately I didn't have much time to whip anything up to pass along. I did however include everything that came to me in the box (I have plenty of fat wood and kindling kicking around), I will attempt to rectify my shortcomings with the prevail pass around.

I included the fatwood, out of a sense of knife fraternity and community with in this sub-forum, plus I i have an over abundance of it accumulating in my backyard. Like a dog with a stick, I can't seem not pick up what I find and bring it home.

It was easy enough to include as it did not cost anything, except time spent going on a hike.

But, I don't know if it's common to include non-knife items in a pass around - this is my first time, too.

However, if anyone wants some wild caught fire-starter, let me know as I can't use it all up:
oaetjnPl.jpg

sUpqAVul.jpg

I included the fatwood, out of a sense of knife fraternity and community with in this sub-forum, plus I i have an over abundance of it accumulating in my backyard. Like a dog with a stick, I can't seem not pick up what I find and bring it home.

It was easy enough to include as it did not cost anything, except time spent going on a hike.

But, I don't know if it's common to include non-knife items in a pass around - this is my first time, too.

However, if anyone wants some wild caught fire-starter, let me know as I can't use it all up:
oaetjnPl.jpg

sUpqAVul.jpg
I certainly wasn't questioning the motives of you guys including some other stuff. The fat wood was a great idea, as was the lighter holder. I too have a proclivity for bringing things like that home, I don't know how many big balls of spruce sap I have kicking around for that same reason.

It speaks to the generous nature of the guys and gals in the community... And that's certainly a good thing.

Back