Elusive Schrades

Even in this condition I believe these walden 808 (the cut co's are just number 8) 2 3/4" stockmans to be rather scarce with genuine bone handles. You will often see these hafted with black plastic peachseed, of which I have more than a few, but I have only seen just a handful in bone.

This little knife has had it rough, but through the pitting, dings and such you can easily tell it is very well made. These intrigue me because they are so small but made exactly like a larger stockman in quality and precision. I can only imagine it takes high skill to do that with something so small and tedious.

IMG_4140.jpg
IMG_4141.jpg
IMG_4137.JPG

Even in this condition I believe these walden 808 (the cut co's are just number 8) 2 3/4" stockmans to be rather scarce with genuine bone handles. You will often see these hafted with black plastic peachseed, of which I have more than a few, but I have only seen just a handful in bone.

This little knife has had it rough, but through the pitting, dings and such you can easily tell it is very well made. These intrigue me because they are so small but made exactly like a larger stockman in quality and precision. I can only imagine it takes high skill to do that with something so small and tedious.

View attachment 1116957
View attachment 1116958
View attachment 1116954
I agree Paul with skill being a premium when making the small scale versions:thumbsup: I appreciate what goes into those wee knives. What a beautiful knife you have there:cool:

View attachment 1116957
View attachment 1116958
View attachment 1116954

Paul, or anyone else that can answer. What is the word or phrase, if there is one, for the pattern on the back of the brass liners and springs? I’ve seen it on a couple of the old Dwight Devine Scout knives and a few others. It’s probably not the same design but I’m curious what it’s called.

Thanks.

Paul, or anyone else that can answer. What is the word or phrase, if there is one, for the pattern on the back of the brass liners and springs? I’ve seen it on a couple of the old Dwight Devine Scout knives and a few others. It’s probably not the same design but I’m curious what it’s called.

Thanks.

Schrade described it as a milled back in the catalogs, on this pattern and some others. I don't know if it has a specific name. This type of "milled back" was really just a stamping done after the knife was assembled.

Paul that's an absolute classic right there, and it's in great shape too!

Here's one that by itself is hardly elusive, seems they made a ton of these aluminum scales, with a number of different manufacturers supplying blades. What makes it elusive is paring it with the original etching block. I always thought it was a printing block until I saw the blade etch, matches up perfectly.

I was told years ago how the etching process was done back then. If remember correctly there was a coating of some sort put on the blade first, possibly varnish (?), and allowed to dry. Then the etching block was dabbed on a sort of ink pad that contained a caustic solution, transferred to the blade and pressed into the hardened varnish. This dissolved the varnish that it came into contact with, leaving a bare metal mirror of whatever was on the stamp. Acid was then applied to the blade, which only ate into the exposed metal. This was quickly neutralized, the varnish was cleaned off the blade, and you were left with a clear etch. Not sure if that's exactly how it was done, but it was something to that effect.

Schrade Walden E H Best knife and etch stamp.jpg

Schrade Walden E H Best knife and etch stamp 2.jpg

Eric

Thanks.
I think the official term is "jimping", some people will call it "coining" too because it looks like the edge of our U.S. coins. :):thumbsup:

I have heard all three, More often than not I see the terminology "Coined", Second most part - the term of Milled, and then Jimping.

Eric my friend, its funny you posted that very tidy Best by Schrade, I have two and pulled out the one that wasnt totally Patina'd, you could see the engraving - I tried rubbing very carefully the patina - and I do mean carefully- took the etching clean off immediately - I am the first to know to tread carefully around etches- but this took me by surprise just how easily it came off! ( you can still see it under a certain light - but :oops: )

Back