ESEE Junglas and Busse Bushwacker

The Junglas is my birthday present, just waiting for it, now. Once I get that, I am hoping my yard will be dry to be chopping some stuff up :cool:

Happy Birthday. The Junglas will be an impressive present. You will love it!

When I went outside and did the comparison, I still wasn't sure where to post it. I am a chopper lover and active on several forums. I decided on this forum since the Junglas has just been released and there is a lot of interest in it now here on the ESEE forum. You will find a few of us "Hogs" over here who like ESEE knives and Busses. The fact that both the Bushwacker and the Junglas are for sale right now, and that they are both designed to do the same thing just begs for a comparison. The new Rowen made knives are very impressive and well made. When I get a chance, I'd like to compare the Junglas to the Becker BK-9, Ranger RD9, and the Browning competition chopper. Maybe I'll include the Swamp Rat M9 just for fun.

I've been looking forward to this comparison for a long time. The Bushwacker is pretty much my favorite large knife right now, but I expected the Junglas to compare very favorably to it. Considering you could buy two of the Junglas for the price of one Bushwacker, and dual wield them like a maniac, that makes the Junglas a fantastic value.

.... Of course, if you're got a chopper in each hand, what do you do with your beer?

Great review as always Vic, thanks for sharing.

My favorite chopper? Seriously, it can hold its own quite well with the others. You can't beat the comfort factor of Res C handles.

Since the DFLE is hard to find, I'd like to know how the Junglas would stack up next to it. That way I can feel like I'm not "settling" on the Junglas. ;)

(I know, I know "Junglas" and "settling" shouldn't be in the same sentence, but you know what I mean.) :)

Kudos to ESEE for making a better knife than Busse! Compared to the Bushwanker, the Junglas definitely is the better blade...

1. It costs much less (this includes point #5).
2. It's not a limited time offer (Busse's infamous sales technique).
3. It's better designed.
4. Same lifetime warranty.
5. It comes with a sheath. A NICE sheath.
6. No weird hump in the back of the handle.
7. No talon hole guard! And the guard has is micarta-covered. Ever stab something with a Busse? It hurts, doesn't it?

And of course...

8. No choil!

So hurrah for the Junglas. I love the fact that I can buy one at my convenience and get a whole package without spending even more money on carry systems, and I love that it is made to last forever and if it doesn't I can get a new one to replace it at no cost.

So... what is left to compare...?

Oh yeah... INFI steel. It's great, I'll give it that. But Rowen-manufactured 1095 does the trick and, while it won't saw a car in half without taking any edge damage, it will perform actual chores and survival tasks without complaint. I can't think of a single legitimate cutting task that the Junglas can't do that the Bushwanker can.

Can you?

Last edited:
Thanks for the comparison Horn Dog

Oh yeah... INFI steel. It's great, I'll give it that. But Rowen-manufactured 1095 does the trick and, while it won't saw a car in half without taking any edge damage, it will perform actual chores and survival tasks without complaint. I can't think of a single legitimate cutting task that the Junglas can't do that the Bushwanker can.

Can you?

I would say cutting a car in half is a legitimate task.

Kudos to ESEE for making a better knife than Busse!

While we appreciate the comments, we're not going to allow this thread to go that direction. While the Junglas is a great knife, it's NOT a better knife than the Busse. Busse makes some of the finest knives available. I'd bet me life on them. Period.

While we appreciate the comments, we're not going to allow this thread to go that direction. While the Junglas is a great knife, it's NOT a better knife than the Busse. Busse makes some of the finest knives available. I'd bet me life on them. Period.

I agree 100%

My old $6.00 22" Tramontina will out slash and out chop the Bushwacker and the Junglas. Is it a better knife? For clearing brush, the answer is yes.

For what most of us will ever do with a big knife, the Junglas and the Bushwacker are the same. It's that extra toughness for extremely hard use where the Busse will shine. That extra performance, which I admit I probably will never need, is what Busse is all about. And that is why they cost more. But if you think I'm going to hammer my $400 knife through steel pipes and concrete blocks to prove it, you're crazy.

I love the new Junglas. It is well designed, well made, and came sharp enough for me, right out of the box. While it will eventually dull, 1095 is an easy steel to resharpen. I really like the high quality sheath it came with, too. This whole package was well thought out and is well made. I would not hesitate to trust the Junglas way down in the Altamaha River swamps. It's a winner.

I agree completely, Horn Dog. I still go back to my old cheap machets as my favorite "survival" knife.

Awesome review Horn Dog:thumbup:
Thanks for doing that.
Looks like you had some fun.:cool:

Well honestly I think the point here is that ESEE and Bussie make great knives. Same use, probably too.
And both are user knives. Sure as hell won't spend 400$ to look at it. And that's probably the only thing that sets them apart. The Junglas goes for 160 on some sites I think. And if it all breaks down most of us will have less problems with abusing it too. Not a wise thing since it's a tool that fills a specific purpose but if s#!7 hits the fan it might be needed.

And then also the steel comes into play. 1095 is great, but probably also cheaper than what Bussie uses. So basically it goes to everyone his own preference

I've been looking forward to this comparison for a long time. The Bushwacker is pretty much my favorite large knife right now, but I expected the Junglas to compare very favorably to it. Considering you could buy two of the Junglas for the price of one Bushwacker, and dual wield them like a maniac, that makes the Junglas a fantastic value.

.... Of course, if you're got a chopper in each hand, what do you do with your beer?

Great review as always Vic, thanks for sharing.

MustardMan, it's good to see you over here. I'm glad you kept your BWM. It's a great knife. Somebody said you were selling all your Busses. You're right, if I didn't get the Busse I could have a Junglas in each hand. Will beer taste good out of a CamelBack?

Excellent review as always HD.
It's nice to see that you can take some time away from modding the "Yard" and post something like this. Very informative and appreciated.
Thanks.

Where U Been MM? Jeeze..

Excellent review.

I think the consistancy of the Rowen factory edges is a big plus.

I was kind of surprised at your mention of the Busse edge. Unfortunately, Busse isn't all that consistent with their factory edges. Mine came with the blade zero edge convexed. I think that's how the CG are supposed to some, but I guess it depends on the skill of the one doing the final edge. It's funny that you mention standing palmettos. I do the same thing. Some folks judge sharpness by shaving arm hair (which, BTW, my BWM did from the box), I judge it by cutting freestanding palmetto leaves.

Looks like ESEE has a winner with the Junglas.

Now, if someone has a Hoodlum knife to compare them to. . .

Last edited:
Excellent review.

I think the consistancy of the Rowen factory edges is a big plus.

I was kind of surprised at your mention of the Busse edge. Unfortunately, Busse isn't all that consistent with their factory edges. Mine came with the blade zero edge convexed. I think that's how the CG are supposed to some, but I guess it depends on the skill of the one doing the final edge. It's funny that you mention standing palmettos. I do the same thing. Some folks judge sharpness by shaving arm hair (which, BTW, my BWM did from the box), I judge it by cutting freestanding palmetto leaves.

Looks like ESEE has a winner with the Junglas.

Now, if someone has a Hoodlum knife to compare them to. . .

The BWM edge was plenty sharp enough to chop wood with. It just wasn't as sharp as the Junglas edge. This one that I convexed sails through Palmettos.
BWMNaked015.jpg

BWMs028.jpg

I think ESEE made a good call leaving the choil off the Junglas. I personally prefer a choil on this size knife and love everything about the Busse BWM but it's good to have choices. For those that hate choils, the Junglas looks like a winner and with an excellent sheath I'm sure.
Thanks for the comparison Horn Dog.

Back