ESEE Junglas and Busse Bushwacker

that is a great review, and while I haven't tried a Jungals( I have a Bushwhacker Mistress) I suspect that the handle on the BWM is better for smaller hands. it's nice to have a REALLY solid grip when chopping and such, for me the BWM does just that. is that worth all the extra $$$? no not for everybody. That said, I love my BWM and would still by it again.

MustardMan, it's good to see you over here. I'm glad you kept your BWM. It's a great knife. Somebody said you were selling all your Busses. You're right, if I didn't get the Busse I could have a Junglas in each hand. Will beer taste good out of a CamelBack?

I sold a lot of my Busses, but kept my favorites. I had a lot of cash tied up in knives that I wasn't using terribly often, and since I decided it wasn't worth the effort to "collect" them, I moved them onto homes where they could get properly abused. Out of all of them, the BWBM would probably be the LAST one I'd sell - most of my Busses were too fat for my tastes, but that bushwacker was just right. I still might have to add a junglas to get some sweet no-choil action, though.

I've never done beer out of a camelback, but it took a long time to get the vodka flavoring out of the plastic.

... I still might have to add a junglas to get some sweet no-choil action, though...

It is the latest and greatest incarnation of the RTAK, IMO. And I liked those knives. The Junglas has the high saber grind similar to the Beckers, which adds some lateral strength to the blade. I like the handle better, too. And after seeing the destruction testing, I am pretty darn impressed with the strength of the Junglas blade. I was into RTAKs before I had any Busses. Mine have held up well over the years.
I like the new sheath better, too.

Junglas001.jpg

Nice review HD! Thanks for sharing it with us.

I think the Junglas will be very difficult to beat at its price point. ESEE Knives & Rowen did a great job with it.

After watching the destruction test of the Junglas,I would say that it could take anything that you could dish out in the bush and come back grinning! I never would have thought it would bend that far before failure,it was awesome.Could you trust a Junglas not to fail in a SHTF situation,I would.

While we appreciate the comments, we're not going to allow this thread to go that direction. While the Junglas is a great knife, it's NOT a better knife than the Busse. Busse makes some of the finest knives available. I'd bet me life on them. Period.

I'm saving for one too, to see what the hoop ha is about, I've never owned one, but heard nothing but great things about them, like Esee. So if alot of people say amazing things about your knives, I went on that good faith, and POW. Proved right.

Now I hear alot of good things about Bu, pricey as I've seen? Yes. Worth it? Yes, imo; for now at least, cause I am always trying to find the best gear and tools to live, survive, and just go day to day, doesn't everyone?

I just built a $800 Honda rebel, bought it not 2 miles from me, from a craigslist sale, it fell over, so the tank was dented and some cosmetic scratches. its a 2009, 250. Barely had 38 miles on its clock. I know I should be saving my $ but I set $ aside specificly for such a find. That was Sat, its tuesday, Its been given a bobber turn over, a wider/bigger tank (looks sportster), larger front brakes, led lights, looks simple in all flat black.

Its not Harley Forty Eight 1200x Sportster, far from it :D but its still a good tough little bike, its main draw was affordable.

I get nasty comments for the 2 days its been on the road, well day and a half. Mostly from DIE hard Harley owners talking crap.

lol.

All it is, is different strokes for different folks. that simple. While I love my Esee stuff, and K N O W that I can stake my life on them, doesn't mean they are the only knife I could do so with. I'm not a sole and lone brand whore, never have been, its ford and chevy debate, or glock and brand x debate. All in all, fine stuff, just preference, there are the few however, enlightened, who appreciate different makes and mods. :D

Jeff never shocks me anymore how humble you are, though you know you make great stuff, you nod off to other makers and products too, you rock ;)

Same with Myke Hawke, doesn't talk badly on others, even the tv survivalist show host out there :rolleyes:, though he could. And I noticed that with you too. So much appreciation on keeping neutral on everything and fair, its rare really, cause most people act like car sales men, our cars are better than everyone elses ;P I've heard this from alot of camps, and have built alot of vehicles from said camps, everyone is good in some standing, but my preference is taking stuff from every camp...and building one car at a time...

Frankensteining is fun :D

On this topic Jeff, do you know anyone who can make a quality blade like your offerings in similar price, from a sketch drawing? I've been thinking of making a knife in a small order, to give out as gifts to people serving, as well a few test models, but I don't make knifes :D I make stuff for cars, bikes, trucks, and the such, but not knives ;)

The Junglas is my birthday present, just waiting for it, now. Once I get that, I am hoping my yard will be dry to be chopping some stuff up :cool:

Get your birthday present yet?

By the way, who gave you the Junglas as a birthday present?

lol, no, not yet.

It was my sister, of course. :thumbup:

Cool sister.

Did she suprise you with it or did you know it was coming?

My Junglas should be here this week. Shipped from knivesshipfree on Monday.

:thumbup:

Just got mine. First impression is very favorable! This thing is beautiful. The sheath is awesome. The handle is a little wide for me - the Beckers with micarta are a little smaller. But wow, it looks like ESEE hit the ball out of the park with this one. Of course, I'll reserve a final judgement until I get into the woods and put it to work.

I was waiting for this thread! Being an owner of a Bushwacker i was very curious to see how the junglas would compare to it!

+1

Looks like my BWMs will be getting some company...

Awesome job with the pics and narrative :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I'm starting to consider a larger knife now and really like the junglas. I was thinking an esse 5 or 6 but now I'm leaning way towards a junglas!

also seeing that rowen video, sounds like the junglas is up to any task i'd put it through.

seems like a great knife all around!

While we appreciate the comments, we're not going to allow this thread to go that direction. While the Junglas is a great knife, it's NOT a better knife than the Busse. Busse makes some of the finest knives available. I'd bet me life on them. Period.

That's another reason why I love ESEE knives.
The owners aren't cocky and they know there maybe better knives out there.
Not to mention the warranty which you just can't beat.

I'm not jacking but no need to start a new thread.HD I understand your review cuz my Junglas showed up to day!!#0070 extra cool cuz I was born in 70.another work of art by Jeff & Mike the balance in hand fast fast fast!! love the handle shaves out of the box.
did I say work of art? anyone on the fence about getting a Junglas or nit picking it.
just shut up and get one and know! yes another flagship for ESEE.

Nice write up HD. Good seeing you MM.

Interesting chopper...would love to pick one up to satin and convex, love how 1095 patinas.

Since this seems to the THE Junglas thread, I've got a question for those who have the Junglas and the 6...

Does the plastic sheath for the ESEE6 line up with the grommets on the cordura Junglas backing?

Since this seems to the THE Junglas thread, I've got a question for those who have the Junglas and the 6...

Does the plastic sheath for the ESEE6 line up with the grommets on the cordura Junglas backing?

Yeah, pretty much. Why on earth would you want two BIG knives hooked together?

Back