Everyone's latest acquisitions!

KOSTiPt.jpg

Got the GMF2-FF about a month ago. The Orso is not new to me but I just wanted to include it for a family picture. I also have the Ti version of the Orso. Obviously I'm a fan of these knives, aesthetically and functionally. And Maniago knows how to do M390.

KOSTiPt.jpg

Got the GMF2-FF about a month ago. The Orso is not new to me but I just wanted to include it for a family picture. I also have the Ti version of the Orso. Obviously I'm a fan of these knives, aesthetically and functionally. And Maniago knows how to do M390.

I almost picked up one of those GMF2 ff I wanted it for a light camp knife, like a fish cleaning knife.

What are your impressions of the weight and balance? The flat grind kind of disappointed me, I was hoping for hollow grind.

I almost picked up one of those GMF2 ff I wanted it for a light camp knife, like a fish cleaning knife.

What are your impressions of the weight and balance? The flat grind kind of disappointed me, I was hoping for hollow grind.

The weight is as advertised at 3.9oz so it's light, IMO. Weight with sheath is 6.4oz so it would hardly be noticed if carrying. It is just a bit butt heavy.

The full flat grind is what really sold me on this knife as there is something about the blade aesthetic that really calls to me. I would have bought the original GMF2 but was pleased to see the next gen knife was full flat grind and M390.

And I would think that full flat grind helps it cut the way it does for a fairly thick and not-so-tall blade. When I picked up the Ti Orso in the background, I was scared it wouldn't cut well since it's so thick but it immediately became my favorite knife to EDC because it cuts so well. And the GMF2 cuts just as well. I wouldn't call it a "slicer" but I don't need it to be either. I bought it to cut up bait and clean fish that I would be eating whole. And while they did crown the spine they left just enough of an edge that it cleans off scales. I wouldn't use it to fillet a fish, but it will cut through fish bone so making steaks is not difficult at all as long as the fish ain't no fatty.

About the only thing that isn't useful for me is the jimping almost halfway down the blade. I would have loved that jimping right at the ricasso. I imagine they put it where they put it for wood working but I'm a city boy growing sea legs so I doubt I'll ever use the jimping.

Overall, I am thoroughly pleased with the knife and so are my fishing friends.

uMQfil4.jpg

The weight is as advertised at 3.9oz so it's light, IMO. Weight with sheath is 6.4oz so it would hardly be noticed if carrying. It is just a bit butt heavy.

The full flat grind is what really sold me on this knife as there is something about the blade aesthetic that really calls to me. I would have bought the original GMF2 but was pleased to see the next gen knife was full flat grind and M390.

And I would think that full flat grind helps it cut the way it does for a fairly thick and not-so-tall blade. When I picked up the Ti Orso in the background, I was scared it wouldn't cut well since it's so thick but it immediately became my favorite knife to EDC because it cuts so well. And the GMF2 cuts just as well. I wouldn't call it a "slicer" but I don't need it to be either. I bought it to cut up bait and clean fish that I would be eating whole. And while they did crown the spine they left just enough of an edge that it cleans off scales. I wouldn't use it to fillet a fish, but it will cut through fish bone so making steaks is not difficult at all as long as the fish ain't no fatty.

About the only thing that isn't useful for me is the jimping almost halfway down the blade. I would have loved that jimping right at the ricasso. I imagine they put it where they put it for wood working but I'm a city boy growing sea legs so I doubt I'll ever use the jimping.

Overall, I am thoroughly pleased with the knife and so are my fishing friends.

uMQfil4.jpg

Ya now that you mention it that jimping is pretty far forward for not having a choil.... I guess I would need to put it in hand to really be a judge. Sounds interesting about the flat grind, i mean the knife is called the ff for the full flat grind so you either need to love it or hate it I guess haha. I may pick one up, nice price point and looks like a great knife for trout fishing up by bishop again this year.

So for a bit of fun and being a geek, picked up this beast:cool:

Most of you won't get the reference, but it came very well done from the maker. I am quite satisfied. :D

I hated those cut scenes!!! You think it's just a plain old cut scene but NOOO.. Quick! Press the "x" button repeatedly or your dead. Now press "o" and "x" together or your toast. Ugh so frustrating!!!!

Very cool knife though.

My mom gave me this for my birthday..turning 50 tomorrow May 15th.
She ordered it from a French catalog she said, sent from France. My first slip joint of this size and my first French knife!
From my mom of 82 years, I will love this knife for ever.
20200514-183945.jpg

20200514-184628.jpg
Happy belated Birthday brother, what a special gift from Mom.

Back