Expensive knives you actually use

4Gw8oMo.jpg

About $550. This will need an update soon.

CRK large plain and small micarta are regulars in right front. Various GEC trads in horizontal snap flap belt sheath.

If you buy them just to sell then your never gonna use it

I use my knife art carbonfiber large sebenza 21 and my large ti inkosi without fear. All my sub 500$ knives I use unless they are not practical to use anyways. Heck I'm using my 420$ spyderco drunken since I got it. My $600+ knives I don't tend to use much if at all, mostly due to them not being idea users. Maybe some light use. But I also think they are better as a value than users. Though tbo if they were customs with good geometry and heat treatment then Thad be a different story.

Get past it or just don't buy them. If value is more important Than using what you want. Buy the knife as a tool. See a good tool and buy it. If it's art, collecting, or jewelry then so be it. Plenty of people have different objectives they do. Some people never use any of them.

Folders? Hinderer, CRK, Southard

Fixed? Busse Urban Grudge (black & tan on satin infi) is the most expensive that I carry regularly. I've got a more expensive one that I do use...but, between the length & weight, it's just not a carry knife.

Probably my stag handle Boker liner Trapper for a folder and Ka-Bar 1211 for a fixed. I don't get into expensive knives only because I could buy a couple of other lower priced instead of just one higher priced. If that makes any $.00

just curious what’s everyone’s most expensive knife they actually carry and or use. I always buy really nice blades but then end up selling them because I’m afraid to use the expensive ones.

The most expensive knife I own that I finally convinced myself to use and not baby is a Chris Reeve small Sebenza 21.

hen4wnR.jpg

My large Sebenza 21 damascus
Other CRK are also in my « expensive » range of prices and see use

Dang. The Damascus steel folder on the left looks great! That’s the type of knife you can carry clipped to a suit pocket and it wouldn’t look out of place imo

If I owned a large Sebenza 21, I'd absolutely use it as an EDC, (and may in the future). As it stands right now, my Fallkniven S1 Pro and Strider D9 Mod 10 are the most expensive knives I own that I'm not afraid to beat up a little (my S1 Pro looks like it's been through a war). My most expensive knife is my Fallkniven SK6 Krut, and honestly, the price isn't what's keeping me from using it, it's just so darn pretty I cant bear the thought of scratching it up. Oh, and I don't use my $1200 Albion Sempach either, but when the hordes invade, that will change.

Reactions: 353
My avatar says it all. Im not afraid to use pricey blades if they feel great in use. Rotating a Shiro Hati, CRK Large 21 CF Inlay, my Shamwari, and my dads old Ruko.
Oh...i also added an EXK to the rotation too!
If you can afford to own an expensive knife, why not use it? This coming from a guy who used to have alot of safe queens. I like when they smile at me in the light, and not from the darkness of a safe.
Keep ‘em sharp!

Hmm... My two Crooked Rivers are probably the most expensive knives I own, but they aren't my most carried pieces ever. Not that they are safe queens.

I'll be getting a Hinderer soon, which will far and away be my most expensive knife. And that one I will carry all the time.

My most expensive users aren't all that expensive.
-Cold Steel Trailmaster San Mai
-a custom by Novinc Knives
-a "Cuban" by Pieter Swanepoel

My 700€ Adam Kornalski monster in Vanadis 4 extra is here making firewood (from ultra dry dead pine, super hard) like a champ.

Attachments

• CE0B7776-6CC5-49DB-9F93-AC16353EFDD2.jpeg
    CE0B7776-6CC5-49DB-9F93-AC16353EFDD2.jpeg
    266.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 37D1213B-FB4D-470D-916B-4380A14E11B7.jpeg
    37D1213B-FB4D-470D-916B-4380A14E11B7.jpeg
    312.1 KB · Views: 37
  • C356AF67-93AD-43BB-A082-0E77C184232A.jpeg
    C356AF67-93AD-43BB-A082-0E77C184232A.jpeg
    406.2 KB · Views: 35
I have three versions of my most expensive knives, 2 940's and a 943 (working on a 940-1601) all of which I rotate in carry. I have other equally nice knives, but at this moment, I prefer the 940 platform.

Yesterday, I had the "privilege" in finally experiencing a broken omega spring on my 940-2 (it's now actually a 943-2). It was fairly easy to replace both springs. Just took some time and patience and I have a working specimen again.

Last edited:
I have never considered value as to whether I would use a knife or not.

However, I understand those that buy knives as display art and have no problem with that if that is what someone wants to do. You pay your hard earned cash to own a nice knife. You can do as you wish with it. Display it or use it, either way it is yours.

As for what I use, well mostly fixed blades, customs and Busses. Some worth over 1k. My folders tend to average $150 to $300, nothing more than that.

I always like to call nice knives "functional art." I think a knife maker has really started to master their craft when a knife is useful, comfortable to use, and looks great. The Kephart might be the exception and I suppose that has a historical element, because I really don't care for the looks of a spearpoint but it's hard to argue the function is there so it weighs heavy in the useful and comfortable to use slots.

Back