Expensive knives you actually use

Don’t have many knives but I buy keep and use the ones I love. Well most expensive I bought new was a 3.5” XM-18 and added the full copper hardware set to it don’t remember how much it was. Most expensive I got second hand was a 3” XM-18 I got for $315 and added a titanium scale to it for like $175 (which are waaaay too expensive imo) they’re two of the 3 modern knives I have so mostly carry them everyday

I love traditional knives also and have more of them than modern folders and for Christmas got a Case Tony Bose Premium Stockman for $460 and love carrying it amazing knife
04DD0E0F-92C4-4A1A-B76A-CEC726BD65B1.jpeg
DABB8F6F-A0E4-43EF-BA07-1C751FAB3769.jpeg
3CE27BE8-83D8-49FA-B1F7-82C62972E950.jpeg
1A90BC4C-102B-40E2-A0E6-DB48DD600906.jpeg

Cutting calves all morning:

f84L2eC.jpg

wSSRIZQ.jpg

Mammoth ivory handled damascus Gordo knife in a custom oak carved bletless sheath also in the branding pen.

wXyUTYz.jpg

She didn't get it out though, as Cara was giving shots to the calves:

xcTRnXI.jpg

The wife had her blue jigged bone handled Gordo on:

IYpc840.jpg

IR6xNyS.jpg

Lucia had her Osage Orange handled Coyote on too:

D2wmfnt.jpg

Brother Bill, the cook, had dinner going for the crew when we were done. NY steaks a grilling:

WfvFdly.jpg

eGZzJSS.jpg

Chopped up some lemons in case some where wanted to squeeze one the lobster tail:

lTdtiak.jpg

EHpbXW4.jpg

Some of the crew waiting for dinner:

04hx0IJ.jpg

Time to eat:

YKkCxwC.jpg

p3ZDGd6.jpg

sQl9awG.jpg

Expensive knives/customs get used on this outfit.

Cutting calves all morning:

f84L2eC.jpg

wSSRIZQ.jpg

Mammoth ivory handled damascus Gordo knife in a custom oak carved bletless sheath also in the branding pen.

wXyUTYz.jpg

She didn't get it out though, as Cara was giving shots to the calves:

xcTRnXI.jpg

The wife had her blue jigged bone handled Gordo on:

IYpc840.jpg

IR6xNyS.jpg

Lucia had her Osage Orange handled Coyote on too:

D2wmfnt.jpg

Brother Bill, the cook, had dinner going for the crew when we were done. NY steaks a grilling:

WfvFdly.jpg

eGZzJSS.jpg

Chopped up some lemons in case some where wanted to squeeze one the lobster tail:

lTdtiak.jpg

EHpbXW4.jpg

Some of the crew waiting for dinner:

04hx0IJ.jpg

Time to eat:

YKkCxwC.jpg

p3ZDGd6.jpg

sQl9awG.jpg

Expensive knives/customs get used on this outfit.

I love your knives more every time I see them Dave...

Not entirely sure what this beaut cost originally, but I have a feeling it may be the highest price blade I own.

x3b8RCl.jpg

Big Chris 3V machete. This guy gets used all the time too. There’s no point in having a blade this badass sit out the hard stuff, that’s where it shines.

I have a few folders around $200, but not too many passed that mark. I use ‘em all.

I guess my Socom Elites fit the description? They're my favorite knives so they get carried a lot. They've been completely full of fine sand and are still working normally, so I've relaxed my view that ball bearing pivots won't tolerate debris.

Not sure where he is from, but in Canada, the plain jane PM2 is around $200. The price of living in paradise no doubt.

Southern California. Everything is more expensive here (RIP every time I go to the gas station). I bought it from the folks up at Plaza Cutlery. Great selection, but the prices were always retail and then some.

I have a SpydieChef and a ZT 0609. They're not my favorites, but I use them when it's their time.

.... Get past it or just don't buy them. If value is more important Than using what you want. Buy the knife as a tool. See a good tool and buy it. If it's art, collecting, or jewelry then so be it. Plenty of people have different objectives they do. Some people never use any of them.
I have carried my TA Davison slip joint but I am hesitant to use it for much of anything. I don't consider it "art". But I have so many other useful knives that using this one is just not important to me.

Originally I wanted another Davison knife after I got this one. It is part of the disease I guess. But I have decided to draw the line for now unless I come into a bunch of money where cost is no issue. All knives that I buy now and for the last couple of years are to be used. But I don't go out of my way just to use a knife regardless if it is still new.

I completely understand the hesitation to use an expensive knife especially when you have others that work just as well for regular use. I consider when you die to be "the end" and do not do things for an estate.

I’ve carried and used some fairly expensive knives - A sebenza insigno w/CF inlays, a 0560CBCF limited edition, a gold-class mini barrage (red c-tek), and a few others that slip my mind.

I never really held on to them, though, because as novel as it was, it felt like I was carrying a bejeweled hammer around to occasionally hit a nail or two.

The most expensive knife I carry and use frequently is a Spyderco Caribbean, which feels every bit as nice as any $300-$1000 knife I’ve handled and likely has the best cutting geometry of any of them.

For me my Lil Lionspy is probably my most expensive yet I would say my nicest/fanciest knife is my Queen D2 Abalone Tiny Toothpick

Back