Fallkniven volcano tang!!! Weak?

rodriguez7

Gila wilderness knife works
So the other day I was batonning with my volcano, when I heard what sounded like a hollow sound, I stopped to check and realized the cocobolo handle had split length wise the whole way down! So rather than send it back to Sweden, I decided to buy a block of g10. So today I took apart the wood handle, and got down to the rather disappointing tang! I'm really surprised it's this thin, and rather flimsy for a 500$ knife. Pics to follow from my phone. I'd like to see what others think, is this flimsy, or am I being paranoid? Thanks.

aad50d57cf1c3439e98b669dcf0492e2.jpg
3e89f89124d3a0deaa272a27bef43942.jpg
612e6fd27eab096b08b8ad89f811aea1.jpg
a097ec118771039490eb5ab2e771ec57.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the other day I was batonning with my volcano, when I heard what sounded like a hollow sound, I stopped to check and realized the cocobolo handle had split length wise the whole way down! So rather than send it back to Sweden, I decided to buy a block of g10. So today I took apart the wood handle, and got down to the rather disappointing tang! I'm really surprised it's this thin, and rather flimsy for a 500$ knife. Pics to follow from my phone. I'd like to see what others think, is this flimsy, or am I being paranoid? Thanks.

Yikes,That sucks dude,

Yes its not really designed to meet your expectations with Batoning, that's what the beefy A1, and A1 pro is for, Really the Volcano is more of a big game hunting knife for taking apart and harvesting animals. Not wood splitting.

This is the same tang construction used by the great american knife companies in the mid to early 20th century, when more people were hunters and knife batoning was not a feature people sought or knew since axes and hatchets were more prevalent

I think its disappointing, I know how much you love to use your knives Rodriguez7, but this is a classic case of the wrong tool for the job,

To be honest, I had no idea the tang was so narrow like a true hunting knife.

But if you have the craftsmanship, that knife would clean up nice with some stacked leather washers ;)

since its such an expensive Knife, I recommend sending it to Finland to Osmo for a sexy custom handle, he does amazing work on Fallknivens and other Swedish knives and its worth every penny.

Good Luck brother

Dang that sucs and your right that tang is small. I would have thought it would be more beefy but like mentioned already wrong knife for the job I would also have to say. I would have thought that a blade that's 7mm thick that the tang would also be quite beefy to match.

I guess batoning really sends some wierd vibrations though out a knife to split that handle like that although it may have had a crack in it you didn't notice. It looks like there may be another crack forming right below the other crack also. I think I'd go with some type of linen micarta for it's non slippery texture if it's going to be for hunting with the fluids/blood and such.

Maybe the wrong tool. But have you seen how beefy the blade is? It looks like it will handle anything. 7mm thick is pretty massive. I didn't expect this. Hopefully I'll be able to rig up a good handle. It'll be my first try.

It still is very possible to damage a knife by improper batoning, including breaking the blade or bending the tang !!!

Understandable. But I've yet to do it to any of my other knives. I really wasn't expecting the tang to be this thin though.

I would be upset too. Cracking the wood I would just figure I made a mistake during the baton, the grain is going that direction so it makes sense. However I would have expected the tang on that knife to be twice as thick as it is. The tang is very disapointing.

Cracking the Wood is a risk everybody takes when they purchase wood handles! Unfortunately this IS the Risk with Wood handles! However I had no idea that Tang would like that underneath! Very Disappointing! Sorry Rodriguez7, I would be disappointed too!!

Yup, I am. But I'll try and make a solid handle out of g10. I'm thinking this knife will hold up regardless, as long as I don't put it through what I put my busses through. I'll be avoiding heavy battoning with this knife from now on. But for such a big thick blade, I figured it would have a much heavier duty tang.

http://morethanjustsurviving.com/batoning/

That is only one of a number of batoning sites on Google [ batoning with knives ]...Check through those .

I wonder if the tang/blade connection was as rigid as possible. Many a knife is poorly designed in that whole area ! I can't see the exact details unless you can take apart the bolster etc to check what's happening.

Wow. Sorry to hear that. One of the downsides of a wood handle.I knew the volcano was a stick type tang, but thought was thicker than that. I've batonned some with it, usually.pine or other soft woods so I guess I never really put that much stress on.my handle. Most times I use.my roselli axe. Hope your rehandle job goes well n look forward to seeing it. What color are you using? Have you seen python canvas micarta? Something about it appeals to me. Anyway good luck.

As far as strength goes I'm pretty sure it will hold up to most tasks with out a second thought. I don't see Fallkniven allowing anything that wouldn't hold up to outdoor tasks be put into production. Odds are there was a split in handle that wasn't visible..

Last edited:
Yikes,That sucks dude,

Yes its not really designed to meet your expectations with Batoning, that's what the beefy A1, and A1 pro is for, Really the Volcano is more of a big game hunting knife for taking apart and harvesting animals. Not wood splitting.

This is the same tang construction used by the great american knife companies in the mid to early 20th century, when more people were hunters and knife batoning was not a feature people sought or knew since axes and hatchets were more prevalent

I think its disappointing, I know how much you love to use your knives Rodriguez7, but this is a classic case of the wrong tool for the job,

To be honest, I had no idea the tang was so narrow like a true hunting knife.

But if you have the craftsmanship, that knife would clean up nice with some stacked leather washers ;)

since its such an expensive Knife, I recommend sending it to Finland to Osmo for a sexy custom handle, he does amazing work on Fallknivens and other Swedish knives and its worth every penny.

Good Luck brother

Are you sure abot this ? 7mm thick steel and tang from nail :D Extraordinarily strong ???????? Shame on Falkniven :thumbdn:

PS . I wonder what is allowed to experienced outfitter to do with Vulcano , to clean fingernails ??? :D

Here is quote from Falkniven site .......

Product Description

The Fallkniven Volcano Knife is the most respected knife for the experienced outfitter. Those with extensive experience living outdoors will fully appreciate this exceptional knife. Although the Volcano is an incredibly beautiful knife, it is also extraordinarily strong and maintains an edge extremely well. The Volcano Knife is completely handmade.

Each Fallkniven Volcano comes with with a beautiful black leather sheath of the best quality and all packaged in a gift box made of solid wood.

Seriously, I would have asked for my money back . This is not way how is good /500$/ knife build !!

Well, in my opinion this is the nicest knife I have ever bought. The way it feels in hand, the way it cuts and chops is awesome! I figured if I ever had a problem, it was going to be with the wood handle. I bought this knife as a one tool for my back country elk hunts, hence the "outfitter" thing that fallkniven portrays. I was extremely surprised and disappointed in what I found after I removed the handle. I'm almost thinking of having someone silver soldering some more meat on the tang. We'll see what I do. I may just try and put a handle on and call it good. I'm sure it'll hold up to chopping and other decently heavy work. Time will tell!

Silver SOLDER melts at about 450 F. That will not damage the steel. Silver BRAZE melts at a much higher temperature and will damage the HT of the steel !
If you do repair with epoxy use a good quality one Like JB Weld .

Are you talking about attaching the g10 handle with jbweld? Or beafing up the tang and adding jbweld? Would that be strong enough? Thanks mete

Well, in my opinion this is the nicest knife I have ever bought. The way it feels in hand, the way it cuts and chops is awesome! I figured if I ever had a problem, it was going to be with the wood handle. I bought this knife as a one tool for my back country elk hunts, hence the "outfitter" thing that fallkniven portrays. I was extremely surprised and disappointed in what I found after I removed the handle. I'm almost thinking of having someone silver soldering some more meat on the tang. We'll see what I do. I may just try and put a handle on and call it good. I'm sure it'll hold up to chopping and other decently heavy work. Time will tell!

7mm steel can not break green Hulk and they make handle like this ? No excuse :thumbdn: Now I m lucky that I have not bought a Fällkniven F1 ...and I wanted to buy it ! No pass in my book .......I'm curious , did the hole in the wood was round or square to fit nice on tang ?

This knife looks like a body builder that doesn't work legs. Swartznagger on top and 90lbs weakling on the bottom.

Back