• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Farid CPM-REX-121 ‘K2’ possible folder project

Does anybody have a graph with properties of CPM rex-121, 15v, CPM -M4 and other high end steels?

Thanks Neuron :thumbup:

Last edited:
Does anybody have a graph with properties of CPM rex-121, 15v, CPM -M4 and other high end steels?
I don't know of anything comprehensive, but if you piece together the information from the toughness/wear resistance comparison graphs in the data sheets for CPM S35VN, CPM REX 121 and CPM 15V, you should be able to infer how they (and a lot of other high-end steels) compare to one another in terms of toughness and wear resistance.

Last edited:
The price is just a bit shocking, (as are most top quality custom made blades) but the knife appears to be quite interesting. :thumbup:

I am eager to hear the experiences the new owners have with them. I've researched the steel a bit, and it certainly appears to be a true "super steel." :thumbup:

The price is just a bit shocking, (as are most top quality custom made blades) but the knife appears to be quite interesting. :thumbup:
Not really sure what's "shocking" about the price unless, as you suggested with the parenthetical remark, you just consider the prices of all $500+ knives (mostly customs) to be shocking. Farid does fantastic work, and especially with this particular knife it's very easy to see where the money is going: REX 121 is a very expensive material and takes a ton of time, skill, and equipment (especially belts) to work with. Farid is one of very, very few people on the planet who even makes knives out of it; off the top of my head, Duane Dwyer is the only other maker I can think of who's ever made a folder in the stuff.

Just ask Farid how many belts he's going to have to go through :), I actually think the price for this folder is pretty reasonable. The K2 is a beast of a knife, but quite light for its size, made of premium materials with minimum bling. I get quite excited everytime I look back to the pics.

Sorry if my choice of words was a bit confusing. I meant "shocking" in the same sense that people mean when using the phrase "sticker shock" to describe a high end automobile's price.

I most certainly didn't mean to imply that it was out of line or at all unreasonable. Actually, it appears to be quite reasonable considering the prices that some other well known custom makers are asking for knives made from lesser steels. :thumbup:

Hello everyone, I have started the CPM- REX 121 ‘K2’ project and thought you all might like to take a look at a couple of pictures of blade blanks. The top curve is slightly modified to have less curvature.
Thanks for looking.
Farid
DSC06780-Copy.jpg

DSC06786-Copy.jpg

Cool pics! I like the slightly modified blade shape -- reminds me of the D3 K2 I got from you, which also has a bit less curve at the tip. :thumbup:

It’s similar to the D3 version that you have with a little more curve,
Take care

Cool pics! I like the slightly modified blade shape -- reminds me of the D3 K2 I got from you, which also has a bit less curve at the tip. :thumbup:

Farid, just out of curiosity, how thick did the blade stock end up being on these? Also, any other updates or teaser pics? :D

The CPM-REX 121 steel was rolled to 3/16" thick,
Please look out for a new thread on the CPM-REX 121 mule project I just started on here.

Farid, just out of curiosity, how thick did the blade stock end up being on these? Also, any other updates or teaser pics? :D

Back