Favorit Hunting Rifle?

rem 700 mtn lss 30-06
leupold vx3 3.5x10-40

002.jpg

My favorite go to caliber is any of my 25-06's with 115 grain Nos partition or the 117 grain Hornady. I've made some hellacious long DRT shots with this caliber

Used to shoot a 25.06 with 115 nos partition that is deadly on deer and all the way up to Caribou. Saw a few caribou get shoot with that combination, holy smokes, DEVASTATION. Brutal, utterly brutal. That is one mean combo. I saw 2 good bulls get drained at about 275+/- and both animals just fell down and their legs stiffened up and bodies started shaking for a few seconds.

Yep, thats been my experience it's hard to beat the 115 gr Nos Partition from the 25-06 it hits like blue lightening.

My longest DRT was a mule deer buck 402 yards legs up. I once shot a Kiabab mulie buck at about 280 in the chest. The 115 nosler coursed through his body cavity and came to rest on his tail stump. That wound channel was something to behold

Blaser R-93 (switch-barrel), .308 for most game and .264 WinMag for longer range.
Lately, the usual sidearm is an FN FiveseveN in 5.7x28 or a Kimber 10mm.

My Savage 110 in 7mm Rem Mag, I got it years ago at Wally World marked way down so far down in fact it was priced wrong and the manager made them sell it to me at the marked price. After I got it and used it I sold off my 30 06 and 308.

For a knock about gun I really love my Chicom SKS. Plenty of power up close and surprisingly accurate scoped or iron sights. Shoots cheap or expensive ammo well and I ain't scared to beat it up a bit. In the early 90's I bought 3 SKS's for $200 kept one, gave one to my brother, and one to a friend.

Sometimes for the far off across the cornfield shots, I like my ole' Belgium Browning Safari Grade in 300 Win. Mag. A little much for deer, but she'll get er done. :thumbup:

Sorry for the graphic picture. The deer on the right was a Texas heart shot with a 30-06, not by me. :grumpy:

HPIM1840-1.jpg

My Sako AV .338 win mag.

Attachments

• DSC00026 (Large).jpg
    DSC00026 (Large).jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 32
I love my T/C Omega, too. That thing is practically bullet on bullet at 100yds.. I think I would rather hunt with that then my centerfire.

th_SheepHunt2006049-1.jpg
e90569b4-1.jpg

The rifle is a Rem 700 Left Hand rebarrelled to 6mm-06 with a Brown Precision stock. Including the 2.5x 8 scope, it weighs just over 7 lbs. As on this Sheep hunt, it's a proven performer. The single shot was taken at 348 yards. No problem.

Just out of curiosity, where in general did you take the ram? As it happens, I too have an LH 700, but mine was made up as a sheep rifle in 6.5-06 with light barrel by Harry McGowan and with slenderized marbled walnut stock.

Norm

I used to have a bunch of nice hunting rifles, but they went bye-bye when I got laid off a couple years ago.

Lately, I've been rocking things Soviet-school:
Mosin003s.jpg

100_0090.jpg

I don't have any pics but my Fav. is my H&R 45-70 Handi Rifle. I shot a deer @ 300 Yrds this past season and that round is just amazing. I have taken probably 8 deer with it since I have had it and they all have been bang flop shots. The loads used were my own brew of Reloader #7 and a Remington 300 gr JHP. I can put 8 out of 10 shots at 100 yrds through damn near the same hole. No BS. either.

I'll try and get a pic of it this week and post it

Nick:)

The 45-70 is great especially in my 1885 Browning SS.I use the 300 gr factory load which matches the Winchester load of 100 years ago.I use the Win Partition load with the Nosler bullet.
BTW now that it's 'chuck season I did trigger jobs on my new 223 Kimber and a friend's 223 Rem 700 .My trigger was not too bad but his was a "lawyer trigger" at 6 lbs !! Now both are at 2.25 lbs . If you don't know what triggers are all about don't do it yourself !

Just out of curiosity, where in general did you take the ram? As it happens, I too have an LH 700, but mine was made up as a sheep rifle in 6.5-06 with light barrel by Harry McGowan and with slenderized marbled walnut stock.

Norm

This Sheep came from SE Oregon near the Owyhee River.

Back