Favorit Hunting Rifle?

I don't have any pics but my Fav. is my H&R 45-70 Handi Rifle. I shot a deer @ 300 Yrds this past season and that round is just amazing. I have taken probably 8 deer with it since I have had it and they all have been bang flop shots. The loads used were my own brew of Reloader #7 and a Remington 300 gr JHP. I can put 8 out of 10 shots at 100 yrds through damn near the same hole. No BS. either.

I'll try and get a pic of it this week and post it

Nick:)

How much do you hold over a deer a 300 yds?

Bout 6" I am sighted in for zero @ 200. I hunt in a cattle pasture where long shots are the norm. I would just use my .270 but I simply like the 45-70 better. The loads I shoot are also Ruger#1 loads so they do shoot flatter than factory.

Nick:)

Anybody shoot .500 SW ?

I just saw a brochure for one of these:
BIg-HORN-ARMORY-MODEL-89-carbine.jpg

a Model 89 Lever gun chambered in .500 S&W. Wow.

More info @

www.bighornarmory.com

My favorite would have to be my Browning A-bolt in 30/06 topped with a Leupold 2.5x8 VX-III.
061410024.jpg

Bought it new in 1994 and promptly missed a Buick of a buck with it that season, first shot out of it on game.:grumpy::eek: We have since redeemed each other.:thumbup:

7magonperch.jpg

Winchester Model 70 Classic Super Grade wearing a Leupold 3.5x10x50 in 7mm Rem Mag.
IMG_0635.jpg

Winchester M70, Leupold 4.5x14x42, Jard trigger.
IMG_0821.jpg

Two of the most used in my gun box.

Last edited:
I have a couple favorites, depending on what I'm hunting.
When I coyote hunt from a fixed position all day or varmint hunt from a portable shooting bench I like my old Savage Mod12 in 22-250. It has a shillen bbl and shoots true 1/4 MOA CTC groups. It is good to 800 yards in the right wind conditions. The bbl has a 1 in 8 twist so that I can shoot 95gr Berger VLD high BC bullets.

Painted22-250.jpg

On varmint trips for ground hog and prarie dog, I also bring my TC pistol in .223 with a Mike Bellm barrel and a Leupold 2.5-8 VXIII. Its very good to 300 yards with handloads if the wind is under 20mph.

rangepics006.jpg

[youtube]dCZw43KMHJI[/youtube]

For coyote hunting where I spot and stalk or call from different positions all day I use an AR15. I have a few .223 uppers but the bull carbine is my favorite for accuracy and fast handling in the woods. Its nothing special but the semi auto is very handy if you call in a double or even a triple of yotes.

023-1.jpg

For bigger game like deer, I like my .308s best. I don't have the right pic of this one but the brake has been replaced with a liberty suppressor (legal to hunt with in my state). Now it's only about as loud as a .22mag. It has a shillen bbl with a 1in9 twist and shoots high bc Berger VLD bullets which buck the wind much more effectively. Oh yeah, can't forget the Zeiss scope.

Le-10Build002.jpg

Le-10Build005.jpg

As cool as the bigger stuff is, I have to admit that I enjoy small game hunting the best. Its peaceful to be out without the stress and planning of a med/big game hunt. Also, since small game season is nearly four months long I can do it more often. I have changed favorites many times as far as my squirrel guns go. Lately I have been bringing a larger SLR camera so weight has had to be adjusted with my gun. I've only brought a .22 pistol on my hunts during the 09 fall small game season. It forced me to become a better pistol shot by trying to take only heads on squirrels out to 50 yards. The pistol I bring most often is a MKIII hunter, with all internals replaced with VQ parts and a Leupold 2.5-8 VXIII scope.

009.jpg

Last edited:
No pics but I like my Remington 700 BDL LH .30-'06. Usually take my Ruger GP100, full lug 6" barrel .357 and my Buck Nighthawk.

I hunt deer and elk in the high mountains with the same firearm I carry on duty as a sheriff's deputy, a S&W 41 mag with six inch barrel. I shoot fairly 'warm' loads, 220 grain JHPs that chrono about 1700. I hunt elk and mulies high up and in dense timber so a long shot is 75 yards, usually more like 50. For longer range down in the desert, I like my Marlin Cowboy 45-70 with 26 inch barrel and 405 grain half jackets in front of 51 grains of IMR 4320. It do put them out there and, as one of the other posters said, deer hit with a heavy 45-70 go down and don't even kick, they just die right now.

Back