favorite SAK?

Yeoman, I like it so much the I have 3 of them. I rotate one as EDC. The other 2 are just in case the unthinkable happens= I lose one! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Coming in 2nd is the Outrider. It has a lot of the same tools as the Yeoman, but it's bigger.

Yeoman and Scientist. Two great models that need to be put back into production.

Paul

Victorinox Soldier. I own a bunch of different Victorinox knives, but the overall quality and finish of the Soldier cannot be beat. :)

Swisschamp. You can never have too many tools :D I always carry it in a cordura pouch on my belt. Been doing that for about 10 years now.

Guy

Some of my favorites are discontinued. I'd have to put the Mauser at #1, followed by:
2. Explorer
3. Scientist
4. Soldier

PWork said:
Yeoman and Scientist. Two great models that need to be put back into production.

Paul
If you are willing to pay the price, you might find Yoeman at a Boy Scout shop. They must have ordered mass quantities of that model. They go for just under $50 but I guess that's not too bad for a discontinued model...you're right, they should put those back into production.

My favorites include:
Soldier
Explorer/Explorer Plus
Cybertool 34/41

John

Denix said:
Swisschamp. You can never have too many tools :D I always carry it in a cordura pouch on my belt. Been doing that for about 10 years now.

Guy

Same here, same reason, 12 years.

My new favorite is the Pioneer Rancher. Basically a Solder but with a hawkbilled pruning blade instead of the can opener. For a 1" blade, that sucker can really cut. And of course the Soldier style reamer is excellent.

I bought 2 Champions in 1982. The first one has been in daily use since that time and and is still in top working condition. It has been used through 12 years in the Rocky Mountains during my years as a geologist. This knife(tool) has done everything from opening cans to cutting locks off equipment boxes to electrical repairs to opening wine bottles- and is still tight and functional.

The second one is still new in the box and has never been needed as a replacement.

NeedleRemorse said:
Yeoman

It seems to be in stock..

Just a friendly warning... Sometime after the Yeoman was discontinued the BSA knife was switched over to the Explorer Plus model. And for some reason the name was not changed, even though it is now a completely different knife.

A lot of places still show pictures of the old Yeoman, but what they actually have in stock are the new "Yeoman". Make sure you're not going to get an Explorer Plus unless that's what you want.

--Bob Q

I've been looking for a Yeoman myself, so I called up the web site listed above (Ira Wood & Sons). They were kind enough to go look at the actual knife for me. Sadly, the "Yeoman" they have in stock is the Explorer Plus version, not the original.

--Bob Q

bquinlan said:
I've been looking for a Yeoman myself, so I called up the web site listed above (Ira Wood & Sons). They were kind enough to go look at the actual knife for me. Sadly, the "Yeoman" they have in stock is the Explorer Plus version, not the original.

--Bob Q
You definitely need to call your local Boy Scout store. You can do a search for it on this page of their Web site.
https://scoutnet.scouting.org/BSASupply/StoreLoc.aspx

They do have the Yoeman in some of the stores...it would be good to have the store clerk verify the implements on the knife to make sure you aren't actually getting an Explorer.

John

well, I'm a multi-tool guy, so mine is the "Swisstool Spirit Plus (w/ratchet)".

when I go light, I like the "Huntsman lite" - (though I need to find a way to disable the switch so it doesn't turn the light on in-pocket).

I carry the soldier model day to day, But I really like my One Handed Trekker as well.
also have the Equestrian model.

I will have to go with the Explorer. I have had mine for over 10 years, and it is still going strong. It is the one knife that I carry no matter what. I have used every tool on it, even the magnifing glass. I recently purchased an Explorer plus when I thought mine was lost. I have many other models, but always tend to gravitate to the Explorer. My next choice is the Climber. I like having scissors on them, I use them alot to cut the straws on drinks for my little boy. I have all but given up on on the tacticle knives, I cannot give them up completely though. I am wanting to get a Jumpmaster or a Fireman, but cannot decide which one to get. Oh well, just wanted to chime in.

My favorites are:
Tinker
Classic
Soldier
I tend to use those because they are simple and functional enough for EDC.
Jim

Back