Favorite spyderco.

I have two favorites, the Civilian and the Stretch in Super Blue steel.

surprized in a way to see this - I don't often see super blue steel mentioned, (and sadly have not owned a spydy with it)... curious about which things you like about it over standard s30v or s35vn or other spydy regulars?

I'm guessing you are not a fan of the hap40 they've been using more recently?

Kapara for me.

I've owned several (PM2, Shaman, Sage 1, Spydiechef, Gayle Bradley). The Kapara is excellence in pocket and while cutting. It's like a Benchmade 940 done better.

Last edited:
The original Southard flipper. Great blade to handle ratio (looking at you PM2), one of my favorite blade steels, 204P, and pretty good flipping action. Carries easily and a real workhorse.

Nobody choose the Southard after all the juice that thing had a few years back? Ha!

It took me many years of being into knives before I tried the Military and Para2 just because the blade/handle ratio was so off.
Once I finally took the plunge I understood why they are so popular. Great ergos, functional and lightweight for the size. There isn't much to be said that you can't find on here a million times over. What works, works. Finally picked up a Para3 last week after holding out on that one b/c figured what could it do that my P2s couldn't.. Now the LWP3 took over the pocket. Sometimes less is more. Had one of the old pinned Native FRNs and just felt too small to open/close without a lot of hand shifting, but been looking real hard at trying a LWN5 again.

What I like about Spyderco is that Sal and Eric are real people. They aren't afraid to try some crazy things and keep things fresh. Heck, they even answer forum posts.

I've sold most of the spydercos that I've owned for some reason or other. Their popular designs like the manix, pm2, native, and sage never clicked with me.

The one that I use the most, so probably my favorite, is the chaparral lightweight. It's one of the best small folders I've ever had. I also still like the caly 3 and 3.5 models.

I've never owned or handled a Spyderco knife so I'm just here for suggestions/donations haha.

For several years it was the Endura. Then the PM2 took over the top spot among my Spyderco favorites for years.. Now it s a tossup between the PM2 and the Manix2.

Very tough question for sure...
The ones I miss the most are the G-10 Police and the original Chinook.
I also think the Navigator with the blue slotted aluminum scales was a great little knife.

One of these three.

P8gA1LE.jpg

OK then..... Swayback.

koMYXe0.jpg

48YRBVW.jpg

Last edited:
I can think of reasons this shouldn't be my favorite, yet I carry a Manix 2 LW Maxamet almost daily. This evening I took it from fifteen degrees down to thirteen, and left it at 250 grit. The way it grabs onto fingerprints is quite entertaining.

I never really connected with Spyderco as a brand. Great respect, but nothing has ever sung to me.
The PM2 was a great fidget knife, but I never liked using it. I've tried most of the popular models over the years and all I got left is a Ladybug Salt. So I guess that's my favorite.
Although, the Stretch has always had my interest, I just haven't pulled the trigger on one yet. Maybe one of these days. I might give a lefty PM2 a shot one of these days to see if that was what I mainly disliked about it.

I never really connected with Spyderco as a brand. Great respect, but nothing has ever sung to me.
The PM2 was a great fidget knife, but I never liked using it. I've tried most of the popular models over the years and all I got left is a Ladybug Salt. So I guess that's my favorite.
Although, the Stretch has always had my interest, I just haven't pulled the trigger on one yet. Maybe one of these days. I might give a lefty PM2 a shot one of these days to see if that was what I mainly disliked about it.
If the Stretch has peaked your interest you should give one like this a look. Absolutely love mine.
OVqt8uw.jpg

I have quite a few Spyderco, everything from the original 440V Starmate to the Native 5 CPM-S90V/CPM-154 Composite and much in between. I still carry the VG-10 Endura, out-and-about, 99% of the time.

Im
surprized in a way to see this - I don't often see super blue steel mentioned, (and sadly have not owned a spydy with it)... curious about which things you like about it over standard s30v or s35vn or other spydy regulars?

I'm guessing you are not a fan of the hap40 they've been using more recently?
I’m not familiar with hap40 and have no experience with 30 or 35 steel. I have had the Stretch for a few years and it sharpens easy, cuts nice and holds an edge well. I also like the shape of the handle and blade on the Stretch. My Endura ZDP 189 gets much more use, and it performs well also.

Back