Female hiker lost or abducted?

Just wondering; do people see the death penalty as a deterent or as disposal?
As disposal, getting rid of one defective at a time, I can see the argument.
As deterent, forget it, or there'd be FAR less murders in states with the penalty, which doesn't appear to be the case.
So, death penalty:
1) disposal?
2) cheaper?
3) deterent?

Certainly not a deterrent. If you think of the motives for committing a murder you'll realize that no punishment truly works as a deterrent. Whether the killing is the result of compulsion (ie someone with mental health issues), passion (ie walk in and find your wife with a soon-to-be-shotgunned other man), or theyre calculated and the perpetrator thinks they wont be caught.

Considering how many convictions are being overturned years later I think execution is inappropriate, and there have surely been cases of wrongly accused men being murdered by the state. If the conviction cant be absolute, the sentence shouldnt either, and the government simply shouldnt have the authority to kill its citizens.

Execution: excising a cancer from society so that it will remain healthy. The judge does not have to take the recommendation of the jury, who have determined through the course of a trial that it is warranted, and sentence someone to death. Please remember, it is the JURY who initially makes that recommendation, based upon the evidence presented, not the JUDGE, or the STATE. We are not talking about the government arbitrarily executing someone here. It is a process.

Ron

Why does her have to know what it feels like? He doesn't need to learn anything. Kill him and be done with it. It's a mute point anyway. Cruel and unusual punishment is unconstitutional. Guys that saw it first hand realized these things had to go.

Torturing someone for being crazy is no more right than what he did. He should be quickly and as efficiently as possible taken out of the gene pool, no fanfare and no publicity. Chris

I have worked on Death Row at the "Walls" I will say there were a few of those vermin that I celabrated when the sentence was carried out. They were truely the scum of the Earth til the end.

IMO he should be hanged, publicly.
It's cheaper than lethal injection but just as quick.
It's even cheaper than the electric chair or gas chamber.

It should be public. Why?
The execution does not deter the criminal, it prevents them from doing it again. It does not deter those that are so mental that they're going to do it anyway. But it DOES remove them from the gene pool. It's also less expensive than keeping them in Max security prison. Why should my taxes be used to keep people alive who deserve to die? moreover, it costs over twice what I make in a year to maintain each max security prisoner.

Now, it DOES deter those who might consider a captial crime as an easy way out of a situation or something. Doing it publicly shows them, and everyone else, that punishment due will be carried out.

I do believe in mercy and making sure the right people are executed. My vote is that anyone condemned to death gets one (and only one) appeal. The appeal cannot be made in less than a year, and in no more than two years. That keeps them from being railroaded by forcing their attourneys to appeal too quickly and keeps this 15 years between appeals nonsense from happening.

I had hoped against reason that the young lady would some how be found alive, but having worked maximum security in corections for 17 years and sen humanity at its lowest and sickest denominater felt it was not going to happen. I think the perpatrator should get death and I can say that in the prisons and once in a while in the rest of the world the death penality does work as a deterent . There have been many times in prison that I have seen the fear of the neddle being the only think that protected staff from death.

Torturing someone for being crazy is no more right than what he did. He should be quickly and as efficiently as possible taken out of the gene pool, no fanfare and no publicity. Chris

He knew right from wrong he tried to cover it up. Evil doesnt always mean nuts. Evil must feel the pain evil caused. No fanfare no publicity.
If it stops one other from doing the same its worth it.

Its easy to say just kill him when it wasnt your daughter.

Reminds me of the tv show last night Criminal Minds and its ending, perfect.

Skam

There have been many times in prison that I have seen the fear of the neddle being the only think that protected staff from death.

Thank you for the insight... wonderful point on this perspective.:thumbup:

It would never happen, but my thoughts for his punishment should be adminstered by the family of the victim. Mercy, hanging or a slow painful death.

Not for us to decide, but theirs, to help them heal.

He knew right from wrong he tried to cover it up. Evil doesnt always mean nuts. Evil must feel the pain evil caused. No fanfare no publicity.
If it stops one other from doing the same its worth it.

Its easy to say just kill him when it wasnt your daughter.

Reminds me of the tv show last night Criminal Minds and its ending, perfect.

Skam

If a dog bites my child I don't torture it and don't have any desire to do so. I place the muzzle of a gun to the base of it's skull and make sure it doesn't bite anyone else.

I am very close to my father and have been all my life. He was beaten with a tire tool, his skull was crushed and left for dead in his driveway. As I said in another post the neurologist called in the family and did not expect him to live through the night, I thank the lord he did live and I still have him.

I do not want to torture the piece of trash that did this but I would very much like to do to him the same that I do with biting dogs. So don't tell me how I would feel if it was my daughter, every time I look at the large depression in my 67 year old fathers head I know exactly how I feel. Chris

Evil must feel the pain evil caused. No fanfare no publicity. If it stops one other from doing the same its worth it.
Skam

If there's no fanfare or publicity, it won't stop another from doing the same thing.

It is indeed easier for me since it wasn't my daughter. That said, I am glad that our laws are based on reason and not emotion. (Or at least it's supposed to be that way.)

If there's no fanfare or publicity, it won't stop another from doing the same thing.

It is indeed easier for me since it wasn't my daughter. That said, I am glad that our laws are based on reason and not emotion. (Or at least it's supposed to be that way.)

People in China are less likely to commit a crime knowing their hands might get chopped off or something else for rape. Murder is dealt with by a bullet to the head. This guy deserves no less for what he has done.

People in China are less likely to commit a crime knowing their hands might get chopped off or something else for rape. Murder is dealt with by a bullet to the head. This guy deserves no less for what he has done. You sound like a damn defense attorney to me......don't call the cops when something happens to you 'cause they won't go to a defense attorney's house.

No he doesn't, he sounds like a reasonable person.

No good could ever come from torturing and maming anyone or anything, if you are going to kill something kill it and be done.

I am glad that a lot of the people on this forum aren't lawmakers or LEOs. The family allowed to torture people???? What is this the middle ages? Chris

I'm gathering research materials for a book of my own. Sasha, can you lend me that book you cited? I can't say too much but all this is the tip of the iceberg as they say. If you're crying now, wait till you read mine.:eek:

And to think everyone argue about what is the human way to kill this filth. To think that they must be killed with the lest pain as possible.. I say too say filth like that should be lynched. Some one that murders for the pleasure of it shouldnt be dealt with as we in this country do. Its one of those things where i do agree how China does it. Sorry about the rant but as all of you on here it does make my blood boil. I cant even imagine how the girl felt when he was killing her. But thinking about it ........... I dont have kids but i do have neices and just the thought of it, its one of those times where im lost for words to express my feeling.

I dont know if its the proper place. So i would say im sorry if i do offend anyone. But i read two of his books. It was an eye opening reading for me. Its writing by an FBI agent that started the profiling as we know it.

http://www.amazon.com/Whoever-Fights-Monsters-Tracking-Killers/dp/0312950446

Sasha

Back