Female hiker lost or abducted?

I can't be bothered to read the whole thread. People are attacked hiking/ camping all the time. Because of what I know can happen even to a wary and prepared male, I only hike by day 'solo' for nothing longer than a day hike. You can't beat the buddy system , though a pair of ladies were killed in Shenandoah Park not long ago. Bottom line is that only a trained ATTACK dog can be of help against an assailant. Sad.

Some additional info and a comment. He may be responsible for the murder of a young boy named Levi Frady in 1997. A sketch of the abducter at that time looks a lot like the Hilton guy. Levi Frady was found in Dawson Forest as well.

I was in western NC this week and on the news there was a picture of the elderly couple who he may also be linked to in the Pisgah NF. They looked like 2 very happy people until they ran into someone, probably Hilton.

I too wish for old Testament justice. If he goes to Florida, they still may sit him down on Old Sparky. Georgia made the deal to get the body back. We can only hope that if he is convicted and goes to Georgia Max in either Augusta or Jackson, that he ends up getting his just due from Bubba, Jim Bob, Malik, or Abdullah. Kind of like Jeffrey Dahmer, or the sexual predator priest up north somewhere.

As for Miss Emerson, may God cradle her in the palm of His hand and give her family peace.

Fox news just said that the woman in Crawfordville Florida was also decapitated. That plus the similar use of atm cars afterwards plus the fact that they have him on the dash cam of an LEO in the Apalachicola National Forrest a day or two before the Crawfordville woman went missing there is plenty as far as I'm concerned. He did it. There well may be more victims as the investigation broadens.

Mymindisamob, I am sorry for your loss. As a former cop, to me there is no lower form of scum than someone who would hurt a child. I hope I did not offend you by suggesting trying to learn something from these things nor did I mean to infer that these things should be given any type of humane treatment. Only that we should do whatever possible to prevent this kind of tragedy.

We're up to ten pages now--longer than anything currently on the first page of W&S. And I admit I've read every post. Good info. Plenty to learn. Lots of justifiable rage -- and just a tinge of paranoia. I'm not saying that there aren't scary and dangerous people out there. But for every encounter like this along the trail, there are thousands and thousands of friendly hellos. I have nothing to support it, but it seems reasonable that your chance of dieing in a car accident on the way to and from the trailhead is far greater than that you'll end up dead from an incident like this one. This will not keep me out of the woods or off of the trails. It won't keep me from going alone. And it won't keep me from a friendly greeting to almost everyone I might meet.

Sadley in the US our punishments for cold blooded killers isn't strong enough to deter others. If there is such a thing as evil then the courts need to deal with it and not waste our tax money on caring for this pig for another 20 years!!

Just wondering; do people see the death penalty as a deterent or as disposal?
As disposal, getting rid of one defective at a time, I can see the argument.
As deterent, forget it, or there'd be FAR less murders in states with the penalty, which doesn't appear to be the case.
So, death penalty:
1) disposal?
2) cheaper?
3) deterent?

I see it as disposal.

For instance far as I know this guy did all his killing in states that HAVE the death penalty.

My state has one of the lowest crime rates in the US and we don't have the death penalty.

Disposal. It should be done by stoning, hanging or firing squad, at the expense of wages earned by inmate work programs.
Unless they let me do it. I'm free.

It is definitely not cheaper nor a deterrent, at least in its current iteration. It is disposal but definitely not quickly enough in most cases and in some, as has been proven since the advent of DNA testing, it is disposal of innocent people.

Just wondering; do people see the death penalty as a deterent or as disposal?
As disposal, getting rid of one defective at a time, I can see the argument.
As deterent, forget it, or there'd be FAR less murders in states with the penalty, which doesn't appear to be the case.
So, death penalty:
1) disposal?
2) cheaper?
3) deterent?

I'd call it prevention. The death penalty, once it has been executed (pun not intended), certainly prevents the criminal individual in question from ever hurting anyone, ever, again. Of course, I'm of the mind that death penalties should only be used when there is extremely convincing and nearly unquestionable evidence of guilt. To execute innocents is not acceptable by any reasonable moral standard.

As far as making them famous goes, ever hear of Bundy, Eileen Wuornos, son of sam? Probably not since we made no effort to learn from them so they are not infamous. Correct?

Of course I have heard of Bundy and son of sam, the female, no.
I bet more people know who Bundy is then can name 3 people running for president right now.

As far as the physical anamoly theory, I am all for cutting them open, but it's beyond a longshot. Even if something is found how will we find it before a potential killer kills?

I'd say both disposal and deterrent, if applied quickly, which it's not.

It would be a deterrent if executed speedily. Where's the deterrent when it happens 10 years later.

It would also be a deterrent if done more publicly. It isn't any good if nobody knows about it.

I am all for cutting them open, but it's beyond a longshot

Like getting to the moon?

Of course I have heard of Bundy and son of sam, the female, no

Charlize Theron won some award for playing her in the movie. Qualify as famous?
It would be a deterrent if executed speedil
y

Yes, studies show that in order for anything to be a deterrent it must be swift and severe. Unfortunately, swift also pretty well guarantees the killing of more innocents.

A new twist on this as of this morning.

The victim is coming back home to Colorado where her family will lay her to rest here. God bless her and her family.

Two weeks +/- before the incident, the accused was stopped, questioned and videotaped by a local Sheriff's deputy. Deputy ran his ID and came back no wants no warrants (so it was reported). Yet when this guy became a prime suspect, wasn't there a Federal Warrant out for him for them to hold him on?

Lack of communication between the Feds and the Locals?

I personally hate being on the grid, but there is one...and if it isn't working properly what needs to be tweaked?

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster.--Nietzsche

The above quote should not be construed that I have an ounce of sympathy for this particular monster. That said, I'm glad we no long live in the dark ages where torturous exectution was a spectator sport. I can understand all the emotion here--but torture? Really? Just kill him, and be done with it.

Back