Finnish/Earlier Scandi axes - Kirves

It isn't birch, thats for sure. . .
IDK. It still has remnants of the paint embedded + dirt/age . Seems it would need some bare wood exposed and maybe magnification? If I end up sanding it or removing it I could post closeup pictures.

. . .How long is that handle anyway?. . .
It is roughly 17 inches (43 cm). Is there a standard length (assuming 12/3) for that head? It's the first axe I've had in my hands of that type. It feels heavy in the head.

. . . Really like the look of the handle though!
Thanks, I do too.

Bob

. . .so I would keep it that way if I where you.
I'm going to give it a try and go from there. If I keep it on, I think I will give it a name. The front runners so far are: shorty, stubby, and stumpy. Forum input welcome. A Finnish name would be good too!

No markings whatsoever on the head? And is that paint?
The markings on the head are the one in the first picture in post #304 and these:

Similiar to this from post #199:
Kemi 12.3 I’m guessing given my impression its overall dimensions:

There was no paint on the head (except for what got slopped on from painting the handle).

Bob

Bob, I seem to remember in the traditional Finnish log home building video we have cited and some of the pictures in the Suomi army photo sets having some shorter handles.

It may have been shortened but it might also have been intentionally done so. The Kemi heads are a pretty distinct shape and (if I am remembering right) there aren't models that shape smaller than the 12.3. It could have been someone's dedicated carpentry axe.

The use of a "." and "/" between the model and submodel marks might help to date it somewhat. As well whether the maker's mark is struck or raised.

My guess would be a 12.3. Of course I don't have it in hand but the 12.1's and 12.2's with that much bit would probably look a little more out of proportion on a 17" or so handle.

The worn submodel number doesn't look like a "1" to me - it covers enough area to be a "3" or a "2". I guess it could have been flattened a bit in use though. If you ever take it off the handle you might be able to rule out model versions by its weight as well. All of them I have handled seem to be a bit heavier than stated in the scanned catalogs.

It's nice regardless :thumbsup:

My "new" kirves hanging with his (her?) new buds:

Bob

*I do, however, know how big that log dog is to make a rough comparison.

Still thinking along the lines of Kemi 12.3 from pictures. When I get home I can snap a picture of the same size next to a couple of models if you interested.

Here are some imperfect dimensions for my head (don't know why women don't find me handsome):

"2,95lbs /1340g" was in the seller's ad. I assume that is the weight of the axe (handle and head). I don't have a scale to weigh it.

Bob

More imperfect stuff. Actually more imperfecter. Just for the heck of it I took a catalog illustration of a 12 series and made a template:

Then I overlayed it on the image from my previous post and sized it as best I could to fit:

3 7/8 in = 98mm. The catalog lists the blade width of the 12/3 as 90mm (3 1/2 in) and 1,1kg head.

Bob

It isn't birch, thats for sure. How long is that handle anyway? It looks smaller then mine. Really like the look of the handle though!
I wouldn't dare to say that. Yellow Birch is non descript (ie plain) but plenty strong enough to qualify for axe handles. Never mind 'Google-reading' up on trees; get out there and discover what old-timers already knew from experience.

The further North you go, probably the birch is stronger as the growth rings are smaller. Years ago I worked with Klepper Kayaks, and we were told that Mr. Klepper only wanted birch for his frame ribs, that grew on the North side of hills in Scandinavia, as their growth rings were smaller. My Billnas handle is I think birch and has a shellac covering, which is original to the axe. John

Back