First HI Kuk received, tested, and subsequently damaged.

HI kuks at 16-18" OAL are too heavy for your "Philosophy of use" to use the Nutnfancy term, perhaps why Nutnfancy hasn't reviewed one yet. Tamang is a knife, not really a kuk and is still thicker than the competition. I would instead get an Ontario Rat ot ESEE model if I were you, or you will have to get a mini-kuk at 12" OAL to stay light as suggested. The Kobra kuk is the lightest per inch of lenth in the HI lineup, IIRC.

Last edited:
What is the "general use" a knife like this would see if not "field use?" I understand it not being warranted to split logs, but simple chopping is considered abuse? Please clarify, thanks! :D

Simple is a relative term. The definition of general usage is outlined in the warranty. Some hardwoods can be unbelievably tough even in the size he was chopping. Chopping any hardwoods with a thinner, lighter khukuri such as a tamang could be considered unwarrantable use. That is why it is left at Aunties discretion. It being lighter and thinner is the reason it is a "general use' khukuri. This being the more sturdy, larger model and the fact that it completely chipped out instead of rolling may play a factor in her decision.

HI kuks at 16-18" OAL are too heavy for your "Pilosophy of use" to use the Nutnfancy term, perhaps why Nutnfancy hasn't reviewed one yet. Tamang is a knife, not really a kuk and is still thicker than the competition. I would instead get an Ontario Rat ot ESEE model if I were you, or you will have to get a mini-kuk at 12" OAL to stay light as suggested. The Kobra kuk is the lightest per inch of lenth in the HI lineup, IIRC.

Alexs, thanks for the recommendations, I'm not interested in the lightest Kuk however.

I actually manufacture some of the lightest weight specialized hiking equipment in the world currently. So it's not like I don't realize that a Kuk is outside of the UL philosophy, and I'll likely rarely carry it. It's a pure commodity item regardless, as I said, i normally just carry my 2.75oz BR BN-2, which I replaced the ESEE Izula with after I broke one and severely damaged another.

However, considering my normal full out pack weight with normal trail ration of water, and food for a week comes in under 14lbs on most outings, if I want to carry a 2lb Kukri for the hell of it, I'm still coming in way lighter and faster than 99% of the other hikers out there. I don't even take tp into the backcountry FWIW. ;p

I do want the most bang for the weight buck. I'm not going to carry a 20" AK regardless, and that decision is dictated by my UL philosophy, but if I was bound by it entirely, I wouldn't be buying anything from HI.

Obviously, I just like the knives.

Alexs, thanks for the recommendations, I'm not interested in the lightest Kuk however.

I actually manufacture some of the lightest weight specialized hiking equipment in the world currently. So it's not like I don't realize that a Kuk is outside of the UL philosophy, and I'll likely rarely carry it. It's a pure commodity item regardless, as I said, i normally just carry my 2.75oz BR BN-2, which I replaced the ESEE Izula with after I broke one and severely damaged another.

However, considering my normal full out pack weight with normal trail ration of water, and food for a week comes in under 14lbs on most outings, if I want to carry a 2lb Kukri for the hell of it, I'm still coming in way lighter and faster than 99% of the other hikers out there. I don't even take tp into the backcountry FWIW. ;p

I do want the most bang for the weight buck. I'm not going to carry a 20" AK regardless, and that decision is dictated by my UL philosophy, but if I was bound by it entirely, I wouldn't be buying anything from HI.

Obviously, I just like the knives.

For the best firepower-to-weight kuk, my favorites are the Baby Ganga Ram Special at 16" OAL, a Chitlangi, or a Gelbu Special at 21" OAL, and the weight will stay below 2lbs.

For the best firepower-to-weight kuk, my favorites are the Baby Ganga Ram Special at 16" OAL, a Chitlangi, or a Gelbu Special at 21" OAL, and the weight will stay below 2lbs.

Only the Ganga Ram is approved for field use however no?

I guess so, along with the chiruwa ang khola 16.5" OAL which has the best warranty in the business. That said, the 21" chitlangi and gelbu special should never, ever chip like that from 2" branches, hardwood or not. Unless the tempering failed, but what are the odds of that for HI products! I have full faith in them and I trust Yangdu makes everything right every time. In short: HI all the way!

Yangdu has offered to replace the blade, but with the caveat that it's not intended for field use.

I don't want to have it replaced if it's not appropriate. However, it does make me ask what the major difference is that makes one appropriate vs the other. I understand the difference in shapes, but I can't see how that translates to chipping the blade or not.

The thickness of the spine of this knife above the sweet spot is over 1/2" thick.

Obviously I made the wrong choice in model, but I just love the form and aesthetic of the Tamang. Would a thicker version or a different grind profile alleviate the short-comings in the "field use" department? Or is it simply tempered too hard?

Anyway, I really appreciate all the input on this. Now I have to decide whether to return it or not. If nobody thinks this could be a build issue, I'm leaning toward living with my mistakes.

Yangdu has offered to replace the blade, but with the caveat that it's not intended for field use.

I don't want to have it replaced if it's not appropriate. However, it does make me ask what the major difference is that makes one appropriate vs the other. I understand the difference in shapes, but I can't see how that translates to chipping the blade or not.

The thickness of the spine of this knife above the sweet spot is over 1/2" thick.

Obviously I made the wrong choice in model, but I just love the form and aesthetic of the Tamang. Would a thicker version or a different grind profile alleviate the short-comings in the "field use" department? Or is it simply tempered too hard?

Anyway, I really appreciate all the input on this. Now I have to decide whether to return it or not. If nobody thinks this could be a build issue, I'm leaning toward living with my mistakes.

General Use, As defined by Himalayan Imports :
Clearing light brush, light household chores, caping or skinning of game.

The difference is the knife you got isn;t intended to be used for that task. Simple as that.

General Use, As defined by Himalayan Imports :
Clearing light brush, light household chores, caping or skinning of game.

The difference is the knife you got isn;t intended to be used for that task. Simple as that.

I'm not contesting that at all.

I'm asking so that I know, what makes one that is intended for such, different from one that isn't. I know it's not just "intention" that makes one blade more suitable for a task than another.

I'm not trying to argue about whether or not the Tamang is intended for field use, I conceded that it isn't. I'm trying to educate myself and make the appropriate decision on the next Kuk I buy. Unfortunately I'm the type of mind that has to know the "why's", in conjunction with the "what".

The thickness of the spine to me is irrelevant, beyond 5/16" and "overkill" comes to mind and a lot more weight to carry. For up to 18" OAL kuks, I think that 3/8" spine is perfect. Above 20" OAL and perhaps 7/16" spine is called for.
What makes the chopper good is the convex grind and the forward weight for momentum.

Auntie thinks your particular khukuri may have had a somwhat brittle HT. It does happen from time to time. That is why she has offered to replace it. You can have it replaced and use it with the knowledge you've gained or maybe you can contact her about another model and pay any difference in price, i would contact her with your thoughts and see what you can work out.

Auntie thinks your particular khukuri may have had a somwhat brittle HT. It does happen from time to time. That is why she has offered to replace it. You can have it replaced and use it with the knowledge you've gained or maybe you can contact her about another model and pay any difference in price, i would contact her with your thoughts and see what you can work out.

Thank you Karda, and everyone else. Especially Yangdu.

I've got some thinking to do.

I don't think you've necessarily made the wrong choice in model javand. It could very well be that it was tempered too hard...a kami or two has gotten in a rush before Dasein in the past with brittleness, although in the tang, as a result. You also wouldn't want to add a twisting motion while chopping with a blade with the Tamang's edge geometry. Perhaps before you send it back to Yangdu, you can take a few swings at that limb just above the chipped area and see what happens. I'm surprised that we haven't seen warty chime in (just remembered that he's with family) as he's the Tamang champ, and since I don't own one yet this post is only opinion.

I do understand and appreciate that you don't want to return the Tamang if it doesn't fit the warranty criteria. It is good that you and Yangdu have talked and have reached an understanding. She should be able to find out if brittleness is the cause. Let us know how your replacement works out. At least you didn't take the blade out and abuse it just to get a replacement as has happened in the past. (I think someone used a Kobra to chop up a tree once.) Though its not warranted for it, my Gelbu Special chops just fine, almost as good as a 16.5" CAK. The Gelbu comes in 18" also.

I suggest you return it. It may have a very thin bevel but I still wouldn't expect a properly hardened large blade to chip like that.

I can see your pictures now.

If a khuk is too brittle it chips like that.

If it is a little too soft it will roll instead.

I differ with Karda that a 17" 21 oz khuk would be considered "Thinner and Lighter"

I have a 15" 20oz Ganga Ram I've chopped a lot of oak with. Also I had a 15" siru that I chopped oak with. I have a 17" 23 oz Ganga Ram, YCS, and Foxy Folly only 2 oz heavier that I've chopped lots of oak with.

I had a 16" 27 oz Bonecutter that chipped on oak. Yangdu replaced it for me. The first thing I did when I got the replacement, which was 15" and 25 oz was take it right back to the same oak and cut thru the same branch that broke the other one. NO PROBLEM!!!! The smaller thinner one was properly tempered

71511179.jpg

However if the replacement stipulation is you don't use it for heavy work and you get another Tamang you've sort of boxed yourself in if it fails. I might ask Yangdu what khuk in that size and weight range she could send you that would be guaranteed in chopping. I've found the 15" siru and 15" Ganga Ram good.

Jim

I differ with Karda that a 17" 21 oz khuk would be considered "Thinner and Lighter"
I was referring to the tamang model in general, which are usually thinner spined,lighter with a more acute bevel than most any of the warranted choppers. I don't recommend chopping with "general use" khukuri for a reason, although people do and the khukuri fare well at it. I implore all members to do research and ask questions before jumping in and excitedly buying their khukuri, so that instances such as this will not become a problem.

I'd say grab a new Tamang as offered and then get yourself something complementary for heavier chopping.
This is the best way to do this and it means you get to buy more stuff too which we all know we want to do. :)

I know this is neither here nor there but Hickory even if only 2 in thick can be as hard as stone, to me it looks like you ran into the wrong set of conditions, a edge that might have been a little too brittle, a little too thin and a rather hard bit of wood. Since Ms Yangdu is willing to make things right to the best of her ability there really isn't much to worry about...
As to what makes a feild use knife or a general duty knife, I think you would need to ask the kami, if they make a knife with a certain purpose in mind then that is what it is for...I'm sure that they take everything, hardness, bevel, thickness and probably a hundred other things that they factor in out of instinct and experience.

I was referring to the tamang model in general, which are usually thinner spined,lighter with a more acute bevel than most any of the warranted choppers. I don't recommend chopping with "general use" khukuri for a reason, although people do and the khukuri fare well at it. I implore all members to do research and ask questions before jumping in and excitedly buying their khukuri, so that instances such as this will not become a problem.

for your research goodness: we've noted over on the Becker forum, that circular chips are usually the direct result of what amounts to a shockwave in the metal from hitting something that's quite hard (could be anything, including wood), and generally it's a fault in the heat treat for metal to fracture that way - it's akin to knapping/flinting stone/glass.

i'd have to actually go back and check, but i think i've seen some khukris sold that were listed as "field sharp" or "field ready" but where not actually rated under the new system as field choppers - i don't know if they are considered one-off exception as designated by Yangdu - and i'm not trying to lawyer up or anything - just seek clarity.

okay, i've done a search for about one year back, nothing too intensive, and found odd ducks listed as field sharp [rigs]: dheradune, tarwars, one chainpuri, a sirupati... not many, and most of the field sharp rigs that came up are in the warranty list as field knives.

here's that warranty link, just for reference:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=653192

i'm actually surprised that some knives, like the giant chitlangi bowie are not listed as such - now i'm not so sure i'm going to hall off and chop anything with it.

The following models are warranted for "Field Use" and are warranted against breakage during "normal use". They are NOT warranted against MISUSE or ABUSE (intentional or otherwise) as determined by/at the discretion of Himalayan Imports, Its owners and/or staff.

1) Chiruwa Ang Khola (the only khukuri warranted for use as prybar)
2) Ang Khola
3) British Army Sevice
4) World War II
5) M-43
6) Ganga Ram Special
7) Bonecutter
8) Pen Knife
9) Ang Khola Bowie
10) Amar Singh Thapa Khukuri

javand, if you opt for a replacement blade field grade, i'd suggest going with (in order): #7, #8, #4, #6, #10 or if you want the ultimate in tough: #1. i'm also more fond of full-tang and wood handles, over horn, esp horn with rat-tails, for heavy use knives.

HI has a pretty darn good warranty and customer service i have to say.

Bladite

When I bought my 15 inch Ganga Ram last year, I tested it during the winter on some hardwood.

The blade edge is still intact after multiple adventures to the park to get 1-2 inch diameter hardwood smooth branches for my roommate in the dead of the winter. :)

I actually cut them bottom up on a 35-45 degree angle, cause they are free hanging. If I chop down on them, nothing happens. :p

Swung down on some logs on the ground too. No edge chipping.

In spite of the feeling that I was banging on something as hard as steel. The middle of a hardwood tree trunk feels like that :p

Back