1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Fishing, and hunting reports (share yours)

Discussion in 'Carothers Performance Knives' started by Brian77, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Odog27

Odog27 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Mmmmmm, walleye!

JJ_Colt45, Hard Knocks and Brian77 like this.
  2. SpyderPhreak

SpyderPhreak Rocketman for hire Platinum Member

Apr 13, 2004
    Yep! :D My (and the family's) favorite fish! Was nice to bring home a few meals from this trip. :cool:

JJ_Colt45 and Brian77 like this.
  3. Odog27

Nov 20, 2011
    Some friends and myself used to go up to Lake Erie every year for Walleye. It’s my favorite beer battered fish. I like perch for pan frying at camp.

1AbominAble1 likes this.
  4. SpyderPhreak

Apr 13, 2004
    Perch and Crappie are pretty darn good too!

Hard Knocks, trevitrace and Odog27 like this.
  5. SpyderPhreak

Apr 13, 2004
    Bonus picture with CPK content... :D ;)

IMG_4117.jpg

1AbominAble1 and Odog27 like this.
  6. Brian77

Brian77 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 27, 2014
    Stay tuned. We will be leaving out of Oregon Inlet, NC tomorrow morning early. Going out with Captain West on the West Wind. Spending the day out in the Gulf Stream... For Mahi, Tuna and maybe Marlin. I will try to get some pics posted Tuesday. We are excited. I need a CPK fillet knife in AEBL to test out.. Nathan, I have some ideas...

7. Murphjd25

Murphjd25 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2016
    Good luck tomorrow! I went out to Zone 8-2 in Puget Sound (Everett) today. Didn’t get a single bite, were fishing for Kings. We limited on Dungeoness though. Just filled my belly with a crab boil :) I carried my FK2.

8. Odog27

Nov 20, 2011
    Mmmmmmm, dungeness!!!

Fullflat, woodysone and Murphjd25 like this.
  9. Brian77

Brian77 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  10. Hard Knocks

Hard Knocks Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2012
    It works. Awesome brother :thumbsup:

11. bladeflana

bladeflana Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 11, 2012
    So like so many of us living in the suburbs in south Texas, retention ponds are cleverly disguised as "lakes" with fountains and whatnot and they are usually stocked with fresh water fish native to the area, including cats.

Picked up some Magic Bait catfish bait flavored "chicken blood" and I have to admit the smell stays on your cleaned hands for a few days. The first time I tried it out at one of our "lakes" I virtually caught a cat each cast. The trick is I rig with a weight at the end of the line, then tie a treble hook about 6-8" above the end so it is not directly on the floor of the "lake" and this avoids snags too. I couldn't believe the response to this bait. I was using Gulp's Bloody Bloody before and thought is was getting a good response till this stuff came along. And it wasn't just the little kittens biting, but the bigger cats which run 6-8 pounds easy (it's all that dog food they dump in the "lakes" to feed 'em.

Anyone have similar experience with this bait?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    Fullflat, Murphjd25, Odog27 and 3 others like this.
  12. jackal_727

jackal_727 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 25, 2010
    I've used it. It's a good bait as far as manufactured baits go. Generally if I'm targeting trophy sized cats I'm using live or cut bait. Whatever is in the body of water I'm fishing. Around me bluegill and shad are the top two. If I going for flathead I'll use live bullheads. Another good bait is chicken liver. But instead of using it fresh, where it's a pain to keep it in the hook, pack it in salt in an old coffee can. After a week, it will have cured, and you'll have to cut it off the hook. Beef spleen works awesome, but it can be difficult to find.

Another trick to add to your setup, is tie a heavy weight on your line with plenty of line below it. Tie on your hook, and then tie on a good sized bobber at the very end. The weight will sink to the bottom, and the bobber will then pull your hook and bait off the bottom to whatever the distance is between your weight and where you tied on your hook.

Fullflat, Hard Knocks and Odog27 like this.
  13. bladeflana

bladeflana Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 11, 2012
    @jackal_727
    Thanks! Great ideas! I think for now and just having fun, I am good with what we are getting in terms of size; however, I have landed some real lunkers before (>20 lbs) in these "lakes."

jackal_727, woodysone and Odog27 like this.
  14. benchrest308

benchrest308 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2014
    A question for the fishermen, what fillet knife do you most favour?

Fullflat and Odog27 like this.
  15. Bottom Line

Bottom Line Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 24, 2017
    I use good ole Dexter Russell's (Florida saltwater fishing).

16. Bottom Line

Bottom Line Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 24, 2017
    What the heck. Here's one from couple weeks back.
    [​IMG]

Organic556, Wood5045, mb> and 11 others like this.
  17. benchrest308

benchrest308 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Beautiful Mahi-Mahi, bottom line! Every time I have touched Florida salt water, I've come back empty handed. Thanks for your picture and recommendation.

18. Hard Knocks

Hard Knocks Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2012
    Beautiful! By the look of the seas and the look of the catch I'll bet it was a great day on the water!

19. Murphjd25

Murphjd25 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2016
    Nice one!!!

Area 9 opens in the Puget Sound on Thursday for salmon (chinook, Coho, Kings, and pinks) finally! I’ll be out on my buddies boat Saturday and Sunday this weekend!

Fullflat and Hard Knocks like this.
  20. jackal_727

jackal_727 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 25, 2010
    My go to is still the Marttini classic 6". I've tried other more expensive knives and I keep coming back to this one. Comfortable in all positions, easy to touch up and very affordable.

download (6).jpeg