Fishing, and hunting reports (share yours)

Stay tuned. We will be leaving out of Oregon Inlet, NC tomorrow morning early. Going out with Captain West on the West Wind. Spending the day out in the Gulf Stream... For Mahi, Tuna and maybe Marlin. I will try to get some pics posted Tuesday. We are excited. I need a CPK fillet knife in AEBL to test out.. Nathan, I have some ideas...

Stay tuned. We will be leaving out of Oregon Inlet, NC tomorrow morning early. Going out with Captain West on the West Wind. Spending the day out in the Gulf Stream... For Mahi, Tuna and maybe Marlin. I will try to get some pics posted Tuesday. We are excited. I need a CPK fillet knife in AEBL to test out.. Nathan, I have some ideas...
Good luck tomorrow! I went out to Zone 8-2 in Puget Sound (Everett) today. Didn’t get a single bite, were fishing for Kings. We limited on Dungeoness though. Just filled my belly with a crab boil :) I carried my FK2.

So like so many of us living in the suburbs in south Texas, retention ponds are cleverly disguised as "lakes" with fountains and whatnot and they are usually stocked with fresh water fish native to the area, including cats.

Picked up some Magic Bait catfish bait flavored "chicken blood" and I have to admit the smell stays on your cleaned hands for a few days. The first time I tried it out at one of our "lakes" I virtually caught a cat each cast. The trick is I rig with a weight at the end of the line, then tie a treble hook about 6-8" above the end so it is not directly on the floor of the "lake" and this avoids snags too. I couldn't believe the response to this bait. I was using Gulp's Bloody Bloody before and thought is was getting a good response till this stuff came along. And it wasn't just the little kittens biting, but the bigger cats which run 6-8 pounds easy (it's all that dog food they dump in the "lakes" to feed 'em.

Anyone have similar experience with this bait?

Last edited:
I've used it. It's a good bait as far as manufactured baits go. Generally if I'm targeting trophy sized cats I'm using live or cut bait. Whatever is in the body of water I'm fishing. Around me bluegill and shad are the top two. If I going for flathead I'll use live bullheads. Another good bait is chicken liver. But instead of using it fresh, where it's a pain to keep it in the hook, pack it in salt in an old coffee can. After a week, it will have cured, and you'll have to cut it off the hook. Beef spleen works awesome, but it can be difficult to find.

Another trick to add to your setup, is tie a heavy weight on your line with plenty of line below it. Tie on your hook, and then tie on a good sized bobber at the very end. The weight will sink to the bottom, and the bobber will then pull your hook and bait off the bottom to whatever the distance is between your weight and where you tied on your hook.

jackal_727 jackal_727
Thanks! Great ideas! I think for now and just having fun, I am good with what we are getting in terms of size; however, I have landed some real lunkers before (>20 lbs) in these "lakes."

I've used it. It's a good bait as far as manufactured baits go. Generally if I'm targeting trophy sized cats I'm using live or cut bait. Whatever is in the body of water I'm fishing. Around me bluegill and shad are the top two. If I going for flathead I'll use live bullheads. Another good bait is chicken liver. But instead of using it fresh, where it's a pain to keep it in the hook, pack it in salt in an old coffee can. After a week, it will have cured, and you'll have to cut it off the hook. Beef spleen works awesome, but it can be difficult to find.

Another trick to add to your setup, is tie a heavy weight on your line with plenty of line below it. Tie on your hook, and then tie on a good sized bobber at the very end. The weight will sink to the bottom, and the bobber will then pull your hook and bait off the bottom to whatever the distance is between your weight and where you tied on your hook.

What the heck. Here's one from couple weeks back.
bcw5pu0.jpg

Nice one!!!

Area 9 opens in the Puget Sound on Thursday for salmon (chinook, Coho, Kings, and pinks) finally! I’ll be out on my buddies boat Saturday and Sunday this weekend!

Back