Fishing, and hunting reports (share yours)

Ok Timmy, do you know the smell a car has when there is a coolant leak? A distinctive hot smell, that my Irish wife says smells like a hot strong cup of tea. Well that's what large mature kangaroo, smells and tastes like (disgusting).
Professional roo shooters have a limit to how many they can sell, and they are paid by the kilogram so obviously they shoot the biggest in a mob to get the most money. So store bought, and restaurant cooked kangaroo is in my opinion horrible... But a small to medium sized younger one is delicious. I'm spoilt in the fact I'm not obligated to harvest the meat of any game shot like I'm led to believe you guys in the US are. Because I shoot alot of them I just take the back straps of the premium ones. I soak them in salty iced water over night and then cook it in my camp oven for five hours with sweet potato, pumpkin, garlic, chillies and carrots. It's so nice kinda like corned beef. My wife just thin slices hers and barely cooks it in a screaming hot skillet. It's what we have as our main protein.
Now as for wallaby... You could live on it but it tastes like S#¶T 🤮. We don't shoot wallabies there protected and not a problem for us.
thanks for the reply!

that deer looks tasty!

I'm not an expert on species, but this deer was on the farm a couple years ago. The fence in front of it is 4 feet tall. I would like to think it's what's around now. It Couldn't be the same exact animal on the farm because we ate that one, it was so nice.

I'm just an Idaho boy who's more used to catching critters that bay or tree but I think that's a sambar you've got there. Definitely not a common fallow and I don't think its a black fallow either. Pretty deer and it sounds delicious 😁

A few trail cam pics.

KkqvKYRl.jpg

ve4pVEFl.jpg

NXVEYxvl.jpg

sQSoXIul.jpg

No report to file YET - however will be taking off close to the end of the month for my annual sheep trip.
A little later season but the boss is flying us in for a work/crew trip in the Northern Rockies for Stones sheep, caribou, moose and or mountain goat.

Stay tuned for some sweet photos and a comprehensive trip report (if you guys are interested; if not just look at the photos instead!)

The only really tough part is deciding on which steel to bring. My Culberson made Alpine Hunter will of course be with me for meat work, unsure which Carothers to bring. Options are the MC or bring the FK2 and a hatchet.

Unless Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist has anything in the works in the 6-8” range he needs mountain tested!

Cheers,
Andy

No report to file YET - however will be taking off close to the end of the month for my annual sheep trip.
A little later season but the boss is flying us in for a work/crew trip in the Northern Rockies for Stones sheep, caribou, moose and or mountain goat.

Stay tuned for some sweet photos and a comprehensive trip report (if you guys are interested; if not just look at the photos instead!)

The only really tough part is deciding on which steel to bring. My Culberson made Alpine Hunter will of course be with me for meat work, unsure which Carothers to bring. Options are the MC or bring the FK2 and a hatchet.

Unless Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist has anything in the works in the 6-8” range he needs mountain tested!

Cheers,
Andy
I’m looking forward to reading all about it and drooling over the pics.

No F&H pics yet but how about fruits? My younger brother texted me this pics a few days ago and looks like the little orchard on my recently acquired plots are bearing some nice natural ones, even among these fires and the severe lack of water :( One of these days if I live, that off-the-grid-living-mind-wank of mine may come to reality and maybe I will eventually use a CPK or two 😂 But seriously, if you happen to see this post Nathan, that Kukri slated for next Sprint will be quite handy for me up here.

8A6744B4-FBFF-40AB-856F-A428EB740F96.jpeg

E67D49D5-B352-4B1D-9799-6E3C7E1E7E8F.jpeg

F9AE67C2-9F2E-4DBA-A309-150632115DFB.jpeg

The lads (some workers) and pups just lounging around during beer break:

F11071D3-1260-4C9E-910B-FE14A725FFB7.jpeg

No F&H pics yet but how about fruits? My younger brother texted me this pics a few days ago and looks like the little orchard on my recently acquired plots are bearing some nice natural ones, even among these fires and the severe lack of water :( One of these days if I live, that off-the-grid-living-mind-wank of mine may come to reality and maybe I will eventually use a CPK or two 😂 But seriously, if you happen to see this post Nathan, that Kukri slated for next Sprint will be quite handy for me up here.

View attachment 1637717

View attachment 1637718

View attachment 1637719

The lads (some workers) and pups just lounging around during beer break:

View attachment 1637720
That one lad has a nice sized beer!

Couple of very quick teaser photos.
Just got back from the mountains of the North last night and catching up on family time.
Will post a full trip report —->let me know if you guys want a separate thread for this?
I kept a journal so have really good notes*

Needless to say the FK2 performed extremely well as I used it as my only knife on this mountain caribou.

Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist dude, a slightly thinner swedged FK would have been money and to anyone out there with one, please send me a pm if you feel it isn’t getting the love it deserves!

That and I need a better leather sheath. Daverous Daverous hooked me up but it is a righty and I would love to pass that along as solid quality but need a lefty.

More to come!
Andy
CDDC14FF-D829-4D23-A690-BF69AE026960.jpeg3EF7EA86-8E5D-4C0E-8E5C-AA4AA380C7D9.jpeg

never.truly.lost never.truly.lost Congrats on a successful trip Andy! Looks like awesome country and that’s a great Caribou. I read your post about the NL’s in the gear thread, just curious what power you chose.

I finally got EL’s a few years ago and I love the 8.5 power on them. Perfect for all around use for me, especially since I hunt the big timber in the East. Not saying I wouldn’t like to give a set of 10x a shot though lol.

Back