Fishing Pics 2015!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
11705452_923690684355646_5438295174929274987_o.jpg

11792057_923690727688975_3400821656744959353_o.jpg

11722328_923690744355640_7811446235801808240_o.jpg

10984240_10204658554214302_2314415474924031427_n.jpg

few more cretaceous period survivors headed back soon

I have yet to add a pic this year , after being a regular contributor for the past several years. I havent fished much this year , the weather has been terrible , the local waters have been in flood stage and my basement has been flooded several times. Now I'm in the process of waterproofing it . Hopefully I'll get to contribute this fall. In the mean time I'm enjoying all the pics , keep'em coming .

Had a guide take us out for channel cats a few weeks ago. Neither of us had ever fished for them, so we figured a guide was our best bet to get on some fish and learn some techniques, so we can try it on our own eventually.

19lber

13 and 18lbs

This pair smiled for the camera.

We had a blast and will absolutely be going again.

Had a guide take us out for channel cats a few weeks ago. Neither of us had ever fished for them, so we figured a guide was our best bet to get on some fish and learn some techniques, so we can try it on our own eventually.

19lber

13 and 18lbs

This pair smiled for the camera.

We had a blast and will absolutely be going again.

Thats the great thing about the Red River of the north... great channels in there. I fish the red time to time, I'm in Fargo, and have had good luck below the dams. Never know when you'll land a monster walleye too.

I've been focusing my efforts on bluegill and panfish this year pretty heavily. Mostly because my son is now old enough to take along and also largely in part because I've always enjoyed fishing for them. Nothing really big yet, mostly just schooling size of 5-6 inches, but they don't know they're small by the fight they put out on an ultralight rod with 4# test! Been trying to get onto bigger gills lately, but just haven't found them... yet.

20150701_162214.png_zps9ofbh2ku.jpeg

Hard to beat the fun factor when fishing for these pretty little fighters!

-Xander

Thats the great thing about the Red River of the north... great channels in there. I fish the red time to time, I'm in Fargo, and have had good luck below the dams. Never know when you'll land a monster walleye too.

We both live less that a mile from Devils Lake and fish open and hard water a lot, so this was a nice change of pace. I love walleye, perch, pike, white bass fishing, but these cats are something else. We fished out of Grand Forks, but might end up trying all over eventually. I never knew the red had so many different species of fish until I looked it up one day.

I've been focusing my efforts on bluegill and panfish this year pretty heavily. Mostly because my son is now old enough to take along and also largely in part because I've always enjoyed fishing for them. Nothing really big yet, mostly just schooling size of 5-6 inches, but they don't know they're small by the fight they put out on an ultralight rod with 4# test! Been trying to get onto bigger gills lately, but just haven't found them... yet.

20150701_162214.png_zps9ofbh2ku.jpeg

Hard to beat the fun factor when fishing for these pretty little fighters!

-Xander

I haven't caught any bluegills since I was in 5th grade. I hope to find some this winter, but we don't have any in the local lake, so I'm going to have to do a little research and figure out where to find some.

Dipbait I was wondering where your pictures were this year! Great bluegill pictures. I prefer fishing for them over most other fish! I am surprised to hear of a lake that does not have them?? They are normally the fish found in all ponds and lakes in North America....

Yeah, I'm surprised you haven't found any gills yet. Look for some shallow lakes or just shallow sections with access to deeper water and some structure. Crickets or red worms on a float are both surefire baits. 1/64 oz jigs or beetlesspin are good artificial baits too.

-X

We have walleye, perch, pike, muskie, crappie, white bass, and some suckers, but no darn bluegills in Devils Lake

Yeah, I'm surprised you haven't found any gills yet. Look for some shallow lakes or just shallow sections with access to deeper water and some structure. Crickets or red worms on a float are both surefire baits. 1/64 oz jigs or beetlesspin are good artificial baits too.

-X

Thanks for the advice. I'm sure there are some smaller lakes somewhat close to me that have some bluegills. I just need to ask around and find out where to go. Now that I think of it, there is a small lake south of here that might have some, but there's no public access to it.

Makes a lot of sense, the black fly. I think a lot of fish, both fresh water and salt, predate on the profile as apposed to colour. Particularly when the fly is fished over top of the fish, what ever pattern or style you're using it's all going to be silhouetted against the brighter sky. I've caught loads of trout on black flies from large black marabou deceivers to tiny nymphs. Large black profiles are particularly effective on those very large trout that only come into the shallow lake margins to feed after dark.

Kris,.

The color spectrum is lost very quickly in water. Red is lost in the top foot or so of water and the rest of the spectrum shortly after, Blue penetrates the furthest. This can be offset by using ultra violet materials in you patterns. But in my experience an accurate silhouette, size and presentation trumps all.

The color spectrum is lost very quickly in water. Red is lost in the top foot or so of water and the rest of the spectrum shortly after, Blue penetrates the furthest. This can be offset by using ultra violet materials in you patterns. But in my experience an accurate silhouette, size and presentation trumps all.

and location, i cant say it enough you have to be in the right area to catch fish you can have all the bait presentation and bait selection in the world and it wont do any good unless your in the right spot

We both live less that a mile from Devils Lake and fish open and hard water a lot, so this was a nice change of pace. I love walleye, perch, pike, white bass fishing, but these cats are something else. We fished out of Grand Forks, but might end up trying all over eventually. I never knew the red had so many different species of fish until I looked it up one day.

It's very true you never know what you'll catch in the Red... Muskies, northerns, smallies walleye, sauger, drum, goldeye... a couple of years ago I hooked a sturgeon while walleye fishing.

It's very true you never know what you'll catch in the Red... Muskies, northerns, smallies walleye, sauger, drum, goldeye... a couple of years ago I hooked a sturgeon while walleye fishing.

That's awesome! I had no idea there were sturgeon in the Red until our guide told us about them. It would've been pretty cool to hook into one, but it was a long shot anyways.

Caught these on the blue moon with crankbaits. I fished most of the night . I had one other big one get off. Used a shallow diving Rapala Crankin Rap red crawfish .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back