FK2

new from CPK, the fixed fastener is on the left, viewed from the top. The one that breaks free is on the right. Loosen/remove the right and tap out the barrel to the left.

EDIT - you can carefully check this by holding the left side with one Torx bit, and loosening the opposite side. One screw will turn easier and that's the side to take out. The main point is to avoid rotating the barrel/post in the tang hole. You want to press it out, no turn it.

Last edited:
That seems wrong - if the left side fasteners have red loctite, and the right have blue... wouldn't one loosen/remove the right, and tap out the left? Or am I missing something?

Maybe we should say the presentation side has the red loctite.

FWIW I almost never use a punch. I loosen the screw half way, then push it back down with my thumb. That drives the barrel out the other side and I then finish removing the screw, thread it back in a turn or two and push it down again as to not damage the threads.

Then I pop off the backside scale with a little wiggle if it’s not already off.

I use Obenauf’s LP because it’s super easy to apply and I found whatever I put under the scales inevitability oozes out during use and gets on my hands. I don’t want some petroleum based oil on my hands in particular if food is around and I don’t have an easy way to clean my hands. But that’s just me.

Last edited:
New UFK in "Double Black" Buffed Canvas:thumbsup:Very Nice Indeed:)
MTlaf3h.jpg

dSb3Pwv.jpg

eYfA9fH.jpg

You'll have to experience Maxamet for yourself to really appreciate it. It can literally cut cardboard all through your shift and still shave hair at the end of the day. Most steels will lose their razor edge after just a few boxes.
As long as it’s stronger than a utility knife blade, I think I’ll be okay.

I have only used it to cut plastic sheeting and masking paper so far and it flew right through that stuff.

There have been a few cases of snapped blades with Maxamet, myself included. I was cutting 1/2" thick conveyor belt material and the blade snapped off, still stuck in the belt. And I've made this same cut thousands of times, with other knives, with no problems.

Glad I came across this. Literally was about to snatch up a manix in that steel . I was drawn to the edge holding. Guess I’ll keep looking for now.

Back