• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Flat grinders Bubble Jig.

Just got the bubble jig today. Everything looks great I'll be using it later tonight and I'll be sure to let everyone know how it goes.

Fred, can this jig be used to do scandi grinds?
Scott

Scott,

I have not tried a scandi grind using the jig. But there is no reason why it would not work.
Scandi grinds are fairly steep; 20 degrees or so I believe.
Where are you grinding on the machine? On the wheel or platen?

I grind using the jig on both the wheel and the platen; it just depends on what I am trying to accomplish.
The wedges I send with the jig are a good basic flatgrinding set; many makers that have used this jig for a while, make their own wedges to fit the project they are working on and then mark them as to their use. I have one for my lawn mower blades.:) Fred
Just got the bubble jig today. Everything looks great I'll be using it later tonight and I'll be sure to let everyone know how it goes.

John,
Glad to know your order arrived safely. Let us know how the jig worked for you.

Regards, Fred

Fred, I use a flat platen on the KMG grinder.
Scott
Scott,

The jig will give you the correct angle of approach for anything you might want to grind on the platen; you may need fairly steep degree wedges, since a scandi grind is more acute than most other grinds.
If you are interested in purchasing the jig; I will cut you a set of degree wedges for scandi grinds; no charge:thumbup:

Thanks for bringing this up. I had not considered scandis.

Fred

Thanks Fred. I will get back to you this week about possibly ordering one. I have other supplies to order first. I appreciate you doing an extra wedge. :thumbup:
Scott

Scott,

I did some more checking and have found that a 25 degree combined angle is what most scandis are ground. The 12 degree sharpening wedge would be close to that.

I can supply any degree wedge that is needed.

Regards, Fred

Sorry it took me a while to get this up here. But I got to grind out my first real bevels last weekend using the bubble jig. It must be pretty amazing because I could keep the grind even along the whole length of the blade and it finished up looking pretty good. Thanks a lot Fred!

I am going to offer some grinding classes after the first of the year for people who want to learn to use this grinders guide.

We'll post on line when the classes will be available.

Send my a post if you are interested.

Fred

I'd like to order "The complete grinding system" PM sent, Thank You.

Dino

Thanks for all the positive responses to the Bubble Jig

I am putting one of the Bubble Jig grinding guides and a damascus blade blank up for grabs in a couple of days in shop talk.

Keep your eyes pealed, Fred

We'll be holding the drawing for the Bubble Jig and damascus blade blank giveaway, Wednesday at 9PM.

Fred

Hi Fred I have a question for you. I recently got a 2x42 grinder and I've heard they can be tricky to work with because they run fairly fast. My plan at the moment is to use it to get the bevels close and then finish off with a file. My question is: Is it possible to use this on a small fast grinder like that? My thoughts are since it's fast using this may help reduce/eliminate any "Whoops" that may occur on a fast grinder. Would it be helpful in the sense that I'm thinking?

Hi Fred I have a question for you. I recently got a 2x42 grinder and I've heard they can be tricky to work with because they run fairly fast. My plan at the moment is to use it to get the bevels close and then finish off with a file. My question is: Is it possible to use this on a small fast grinder like that? My thoughts are since it's fast using this may help reduce/eliminate any "Whoops" that may occur on a fast grinder. Would it be helpful in the sense that I'm thinking?

Fletch,

How is your grinder set up?

Fast is good as long as you are accurate and this jig gives you accuracy.

I don't think you will need any file work after using this jig to establish the bevels. They end up flat.

If I may make a suggestion; once you finish the bevels I would go with a flat bar wrapped with sanding paper.

Give me a call if you want to talk it over, Fred

Back