• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Flat grinders Bubble Jig.

Fred I've ground a few blades on it so far it it's awesome. I can get very good grinds with it (I think), so it has to be dummy proof :D. Although I'm still not great with plunge lines..... Got a plunge line jig? :D

Tell us more Fred.

By the way, my jig arrived today. First rate construction and great documentation, by the way a lost art today.

Regards

I don't get it.:confused: Are you talking about a jig that produces matching plunge lines at the start of the bevel. Those plunge lines.
If that is the case then I would recommend the bevel clamp that goes with the Bubble. It gives you perfect plunge lines.
I make a jig to file straight shoulders also.

The 5 inch long jig positions the plunge at the exact same place each time you make a grind. Just lay it against the side of the platen and you will get matching plunge cuts.

We are getting ready to do a more in depth video, maybe ten minutes or so. I think it will be helpful to see a swedge ground and how to establish a straight edge on your knife.

Regards, Fred

Last edited:
Thanks Fred. I have the bevel clamp and look forward to the video. I need all the help I can get.
Terry

We are getting ready to do a more in depth video, maybe ten minutes or so. I think it will be helpful to see a swedge ground and how to establish a straight edge on your knife.

Would be great I think to also see you actually do a grind from start to finish, (like you did in your first only show it to finishing that grind) and also one on using it to sharpen as well.. If you can fit it all in or do 2 videos.

Grgeat idea Fletch!! How about it Fred?

The video is coming. We are working on getting the most worthwhile information included on it. Techniques and tips that will be of use to people who are grinding with the jig.
There are many uses for the Bubble Jig in the knife shop and we want to expose as many people as we can to its many uses.

Fred

Check out the new add for the Bubble Jig. Created by Burton Harruff of Burton cutlery.

Fred

What angle is used to grind the swedge and is it supplied with the bubble Jig? Which other angle wedges are supplied with the bubble jig? Thanks!

Last edited:
What angle is used to grind the swedge and is it supplied with the bubble Jig? Which other angle wedges are supplied with the bubble jig? Thanks!

Morning John,

The angle for a swedge covers a broad range. The more narrow you want the flat of the swedge to be the sharper the angle.
If you look at a swedge from the point end of a knife you'll see what I mean.
On average the combined angle of a swedge will be 40 to 45 degrees; even up into the 50's.

Try some scrap pieces of 1/4 inch steel. Set an angle of 20 to 25 degrees on the bubble and do a test grind. Do two passes on one side of the steel and then two on the other side and see what the results are.
When I grind swedges I set the platen vertical. For me it is easier to control the grind when the platen is in this position.
The degree wedges that come with the jig are: 2--2.5--3.0--3.5--4--5--10--12--and15 degrees. Combine any of these to set the angle you wish.

If you want to talk this over, send me a pm and I'll give you my 800 number.

Fred

How to grind a straight and centered swedge, using the jig, is about ready to post. Very easy and very straightforward grind. Ten minutes, tops:)

Fred

Fred, your jig and clamp are still the best step I have made towards becoming a "better" grinder. I am also working on building a new 2x72. I took the broken clamp, softened the loop and welded it back together while it was clamped over a 1/4 x3 inch piece of stock. So I now have one for making something larger. I may try and make a chopper of some sort. Anyway I wanted to tell you what I did with the broken one , so that I did not have to feel like I stole it. If you want me to send some dollars for it let me know. Thanks, Bradley

Last edited:
Fred, your jig and clamp are still the best step I have made towards becoming a "better" grinder. I am also working on building a new 2x72. I took the broken clamp, softened the loop and welded it back together while it was clamped over a 1/4 x3 inch piece of stock. So I now have one for making something larger. I may try and make a chopper of some sort. Anyway I wanted to tell you what I did with the broken one , so that I did not have to feel like I stole it. If you want me to send some dollars for it let me know. Thanks, Bradley

I think that is just great:thumbup: when people make use of what first seems a failure and turn it into a success. Some of my best discoveries in the shop have come in this manner.
Thanks for posting and if you are satisfied we are even up.:)

Regards, Fred

Even up it is. I still owe you for tutoring me over the phone. You're a good Joe.

Back