• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Flat grinders Bubble Jig.

Last edited:
Fred, great videos this system will reduce the learning curve time for newbies or old timer hollow grinders desiring to attempt flat grinds! Thanks!

Paypal on the way. Looking forward to giving this thing a try on the new KMG when it gets here.

BJ

Received my bubble jig yesterday. Super fast shipping. Now I can't wait for the KMG to get here.

BJ

What angle did you use for the false edge? Thanks

For the blade that was used in the video has a 1/4 inch spine at the ricasso I set the bubble at 27 degrees angle of approach. The thinner the blade you are grinding, the flatter you can make the angle. The feather pattern fighter below is fairly thin along the spine and the bubble set on that one was 9 degrees angle of approach.

Jigs+are+what+made+us_+058.jpg

I suggest setting the blade against the bare platen and looking from the side to establish the angle. Your eye can get it quite close.
Once you set the bubble use the degree wedges to figure out what the angle is.

In grinding a false edge, we are taking off such a small amount as far as that flat is concerned, maybe a 1/4 inch or a little more, that the angle can vary quite a bit.

Hope this helps, Fred

Just placed my order.

Looking forward to getting out in the shop and start grinding again

Dennis,

Thanks for your order.

I think you will find that your purchase of my little invention will make blade grinding a whole lot more fun with an instant improvement in your flat grinds. You will be grinding daggers in just a short amount of time.:)

Regards, Fred

Just placed my order.

Looking forward to getting out in the shop and start grinding again

Fred, I've been doing flat grinds freehand for a number of years now, but I can see where your little invention can come in very handy, and I've been looking forward to trying it out. I just placed an order.

--nathan

I have always wondered where I got that Vulcan mind grip technique; ah and the ears too.:D

Thanks Patrice, I needed a good laugh today and you have provided that.

Fred

Patrice Lemée;8059679 said:
Fred, separated at birth?

LeonardNimoy_Grant_11128908.jpg

Live Long and Prosper! ;)

That mind grip is working Fred cause I keep thinking I need to order a kit from you. ;) Probably when I go to Maine in June so we don't have to deal with customs and such.

Patrice Lemée;8065991 said:
That mind grip is working Fred cause I keep thinking I need to order a kit from you. ;) Probably when I go to Maine in June so we don't have to deal with customs and such.

Patrice,

I got a Spock haircut last week. We really look like brothers now.

I have one of those jigs put aside for you just let me know when and where.

Fred

Back