Photos For the love of Lockbacks! (Traditionals only)

I don't want to open a thread for a simple question conserning lockbacks so I ask it in this thread. I have thought about getting a lockback smaller than my previous one's, blade lenght around 70 mm. My choises now (based on availability from my favourite shop) are Buck 501 Squire and Boker Junior Scout with stag handles. The boker costs almost twice what Buck does, but I just love stag covers. The Buck is lighter and slimmer, so more easily carried. Thoughts about these knives? Lock action, f&f? The steel in Boker is better, but Buck does a good job with their 420.
Have you considered the Buck custom shop? You could get a 501 in elk and S30V steel.

Reactions: vba
I don't want to open a thread for a simple question conserning lockbacks so I ask it in this thread. I have thought about getting a lockback smaller than my previous one's, blade lenght around 70 mm. My choises now (based on availability from my favourite shop) are Buck 501 Squire and Boker Junior Scout with stag handles. The boker costs almost twice what Buck does, but I just love stag covers. The Buck is lighter and slimmer, so more easily carried. Thoughts about these knives? Lock action, f&f? The steel in Boker is better, but Buck does a good job with their 420.

Nobody does a good lockback like Buck, I say go Buck.

I love all the great knives on this thread! Here’s a humble contribution from the Norrhland.

Ryuichi Kawamura stag lockback on beaver tails from last year’s trapping season, just received from the tanner. Spring breakup and our annual “trapping and tapping” trip are just around the corner.

View attachment 1095425
That’s a wonderful Ryu 1306.

m84VZ6I.jpg

Picked this one up today, brand spanking new from 1990.

How’ve you used this knife? I wonder how the blade would be in different situations. Its such a great texture, reminds me of ancient chit I’ve seen.

I don’t use the knife much. It’s not a very good slicer (too thick behind the edge). It’s actually made using a belt grinder with a small wheel. There are no 2 alike (free hand work). The steel is 420 HC. I have a lot of blades and modular handles, so I can move stuff around.

I don’t use the knife much. It’s not a very good slicer (too thick behind the edge). It’s actually made using a belt grinder with a small wheel. There are no 2 alike (free hand work). The steel is 420 HC.

Thanks for the reply and info. :)

Back