Photos For the love of Lockbacks! (Traditionals only)

How does front lock work ??? Magnificent knife...wow !!

Thank you.

Front lock works the same as a back lock except it's positioned further up the handle...closer to the bolster. So you don't have to slide your hand down. You can unlock it with your thumb. I find it easier to use than a back lock.

Thank you.

Front lock works the same as a back lock except it's positioned further up the handle...closer to the bolster. So you don't have to slide your hand down. You can unlock it with your thumb. I find it easier to use than a back lock.
Ah...I see it now. Thank you!

A photo of my new Buck custom Shop 501 with my older micarta covered 501. It has S30v steel and buffalo horn covers. I bought it as a present to myself for passing the Professional Engineering (P.E.) exam. I figure I deserved a present for getting my P.E. license.

XePIEAQ.jpg

Lh5uLNS.jpg

Last edited:
A photo of my new Buck custom Shop 501 with my older micarta covered 501. It has S30v steel and buffalo horn covers. I bought it as a present to myself for passing the Professional Engineering (P.E.) exam. I figure I deserved a present for getting my P.E. license.

XePIEAQ.jpg

Lh5uLNS.jpg
Nice, I've become a big fan of the 501 recently. Congrats on the exam success!

XePIEAQ.jpg

Lh5uLNS.jpg
Nice Buck!
That CRC brings back memories! Congrats on the PE!

I’ve had this knife quite a while but have been carrying it the past two days, it’s the kind of knife you pull out and stare at when no one is looking. Wayne Valachovic, ABS Master Smith, crafted every part of this knife. The locking mechanism releases when you depress the end of the back bar where the lanyard attaches. Lanyard bead is also by Wayne, same Damascus as the blade and bolsters. No thumb stud, clip or other modern contrivances, so I assume it’s safe to show here

0C99BABF-E3C4-4DD7-955E-F7E867085282.jpeg 352F8920-D12E-4B48-8F35-7A380B798C84.jpeg 2BCDB0EA-5F20-4CDF-B98F-8E00B87DDD80.jpeg 99CC259E-C47A-439A-9910-D6D5BBD76BA8.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve had this knife quite a while but have been carrying it the past two days, it’s the kind of knife you pull out and stare at when no one is looking. Wayne Valachovic, ABS Master Smith, crafted every part of this knife. The locking mechanism releases when you depress the end of the back bar where the lanyard attaches. Lanyard bead is also by Wayne, same Damascus as the blade and bolsters. No thumb stud, clip or other modern contrivances, so I assume it’s safe to show here

View attachment 1106895 View attachment 1106893 View attachment 1106891 View attachment 1106892

You can show that knife anywhere, that's a beautiful knife.

You can show that knife anywhere, that's a beautiful knife.

Haha, you're right, of course, but the sideways glances from mothers with small children, as they move quickly away from me.... I've learned to be more discreet in holding and admiring knives.

I'll say! Tomes are rare and I've never seen many but admired all. I especially like the blackening finish he gives to already choice Stag. Similar to Ohta in some ways.

About that front lock, it can't be disengaged by accident when using the knife?:eek:

Perhaps you could show us a spine view?

Many thanks, Will

Back