Photos For the love of Lockbacks! (Traditionals only)

This small Moki Fish Owl weathers any storm, tough but superlight

lRyc2mf.jpg

So many great lockbacks on this thread!! I love seeing them all.

Here’s a Blue Mountain Swayback Wharncliffe Lockback by Bruce Bump, amber elk antler scales, with his feather Damascus in a Talon blade shape (which has a very slight recurve). The pivot is interesting - Bruce said he used “a phosphorus bronze bushing that allows me to dome a stainless pivot pin. I left the pin proud just in case it will need tightening sometime. My thinking is I don’t like pivot pins that are below the bolster surface and visible after some rugged use with no way to adjust out slack in the pivot.”

It’s hard to add to everything that’s been said about Bruce, both as a gifted bladesmith and as a genuinely great human. It was a great pleasure in the back and forth we had about this knife and, though I’ve never been there, I feel like I have a good friend in Walla Walla.

1D817E89-B51E-4CEF-9E6D-A2F7362BE7E2.jpeg 811DB62F-D6AB-42DC-A1E5-BC0B8AE7BACD.jpeg C3B6B64E-381F-442C-888E-66B71587931D.jpeg 282E7410-4D9A-43E8-A53D-ED48CB180397.jpeg

Here’s a Blue Mountain Swayback Wharncliffe Lockback by Bruce Bump, amber elk antler scales, with his feather Damascus in a Talon blade shape (which has a very slight recurve). The pivot is interesting - Bruce said he used “a phosphorus bronze bushing that allows me to dome a stainless pivot pin. I left the pin proud just in case it will need tightening sometime. My thinking is I don’t like pivot pins that are below the bolster surface and visible after some rugged use with no way to adjust out slack in the pivot.”

It’s hard to add to everything that’s been said about Bruce, both as a gifted bladesmith and as a genuinely great human. It was a great pleasure in the back and forth we had about this knife and, though I’ve never been there, I feel like I have a good friend in Walla Walla.

View attachment 1111941 View attachment 1111940 View attachment 1111966 View attachment 1111942
Bruce makes a beautiful knife. His Damascus paired with stag is tough to beat. Interesting take on the pivot pin. Thanks for sharing David

View attachment 1111941 View attachment 1111940 View attachment 1111966 View attachment 1111942
Beautiful LB, what gorgeous color and texture on the stag.

Here's another for enthusiasts of the lock:cool: and I include myself, I'm an unabashed fan of locking Traditionals. I don't buy into that fogey notion that you don't 'need' anything other than a slip joint, or even just a friction:rolleyes::D

Böker Germany, Washboard Bone and carbon

Note also the nice domed pin-work on these (and all the Bökers I have) no eyesore sinkhole pins that some GEC apologists tell you is 'inevitable' unless you go custom;)

k4WthnS.jpg

Jack Cory was a well regarded maker from Hamilton, Montana who passed away in 2006. I’m honored to have one of his stag lockbacks with a mirror polished blade, bolster engraving by the maker. It releases by pressing down on the lanyard loop. 3A28550A-63BC-463C-9C8B-8261564B6097.jpegB0530D23-64BF-4F25-8E9A-993FFE5B7C1C.jpeg 9E1EBA6F-3650-4819-ABFB-2217FB20A893.jpeg 4AF4A620-ADB0-4396-BCEA-AB87DDECD461.jpegB8EB7D45-0DC0-40A1-AB9D-EE5604F27ECB.jpeg

Attachments

• 39117F85-E61D-4C26-AB02-49CDEC5BFB49.jpeg
    39117F85-E61D-4C26-AB02-49CDEC5BFB49.jpeg
    183.4 KB · Views: 3
Jack Cory was a well regarded maker from Hamilton, Montana who passed away in 2006. I’m honored to have one of his stag lockbacks with a mirror polished blade, bolster engraving by the maker. It releases by pressing down on the lanyard loop. View attachment 1121988View attachment 1121989 View attachment 1121991 View attachment 1121993View attachment 1121992

Nice knife. I like the swelled covers, sign of a maker who cares about comfort and only found on the best custom traditional knives.

Jack Cory was a well regarded maker from Hamilton, Montana who passed away in 2006. I’m honored to have one of his stag lockbacks with a mirror polished blade, bolster engraving by the maker. It releases by pressing down on the lanyard loop. View attachment 1121988View attachment 1121989 View attachment 1121991 View attachment 1121993View attachment 1121992
Wow! What a beautiful knife! And so clever with the lanyard loop release, masterful execution for sure.

Jack Cory was a well regarded maker from Hamilton, Montana who passed away in 2006. I’m honored to have one of his stag lockbacks with a mirror polished blade, bolster engraving by the maker. It releases by pressing down on the lanyard loop.
That really is a fantastic barehead LB David. Thanks.

That really is a fantastic barehead LB David. Thanks.

Thank you, I’m very happy to be it’s current caretaker. He did so many good things with this knife - dovetailed bolsters for the stag, G10 liners separating the stag from metal, the cool piece of horn on the lanyard, bolster work. It’s fun to look at something that’s 25 or 30 years old and see if made today it would still be in the upper echelon of custom knives. At least I would think so.

Back