For the Love of Wood

Here's a pair of Sebenzas (that I gifted to a friend) with some nice bloodwood.

PgVnfQY.jpg
They are gorgeous.....................

Just arrived today, the last 3 well ringed and figured Belah blocks that the supplier had from the 87+ lbs/ft3 batch of Belah wood. I now have a total of 5 of these blocks. Also received a well ringed large block of Gidgee and 2 complimentary blocks.

2rdus7k.jpg

2cs72mq.jpg

olk00.jpg

More gorgeous stuff on this page, especially Keyman Keyman and d.r.h. d.r.h. . Beautiful wood going back several pages Coke Coke . You do know there are no blades in those knives, right? :confused:

I started my Sage collection with the Desert Ironwood 4. That one's intended as a tribute to Al Mar who popularized the mid- or front-lock. Of course that lock was developed by Harvey McBurnette, Bob Dorough, and WT Fuller after WT lost one of his hands in an industrial accident. The look of the Sage 4 echoes that of knives like Mar's Eagle which I posted back a page.

I've gradually filled in the collection, having had to search the hardest for the Blue G10 Sage 3 Blackie Collins tribute which was discontinued fairly early on.

CdJqpEo.jpg

The action on the Sage 4 is fairly typical of Spyderco back-locks, requiring a bit of wrist to thumb-flick open and a little shake to drop the blade when disengaging. It is extremely smooth, though, like all the Sages and almost free on a good day. The ironwood on this one is quite handsome with a nice dark/light pattern. The wood sets off very nicely against the high-grit-sanded bolsters, but the Ti scratches wicked easily and requires re-finishing if the knife is carried and used much at all.

1kf1dPM.jpg

iZXv2a0.jpg

uKYG6RD.jpg

I'm just about at the bottom of the barrel for wood grips, as the following pic will make abundantly clear. This is one of the last I still have from back in my less-discerning days. I can't even blame my lack of taste or judgement on youth, as I haven't been young for a very, very long time. This is quite possibly the worst knife I ever bought and I couldn't even give it away in a four-times-listed sales thread here. It's got lock-rock and barely sharpenable steel that's wicked thick behind the edge. Its cocobolo grips sure do fill the hand, though, and it carries like it weighs 5 or 6 pounds. It's in a drawer up in Vermont now and I use it for a woods beater. It's not much of a cutter, but I suppose I could club an attacking beast to death with it.

In a perverse sort of way, I actually do have some affection for it, though....

3KnqM9H.jpg

e1PHzTv.jpg

Ok, this is cheatin', 'cause the wood's not on the knife. The knife is on the wood--an as-yet unspilt bolt of gnarly-looking oak salvaged from the last of several standing-dead trees on our property here on the Cape. A pestilence of Crypt Gall Wasps came through over the last few years and pretty much wiped out the Black Oaks around here, much as they had done on Long Island a decade-or-so ago. Fortunately, we still have healthy Red and Pin Oaks on our two pieces here, but we have lots more sun and way more firewood on hand than a couple years back.

This pic is here as a thank you to my friend d.r.h. d.r.h. :)

2EHhYLs.jpg

Back